I went into work early today so I had a good amount of time to play with our demo unit.

Pros:
    Extremely fluid, gestures and all
    Multitasking was nice
    Camera was a lot better than expected
    Form factor is perfect
    Power button wasn't hard to press
    Screen was gorgeous

Cons:
    Website I work for crashed the browser every time (esea.net)
    Websites like TinyChat don't recognize a camera, extremely let down
    Multitasking wouldn't allow simultaneous viewing of a movie, camera, and game (on showcase mode, or default)

I realized that the demo unit wasn't on the latest build, so I upgraded, then our WiFi disappeared like usual. So I couldn't test if my site or TinyChat would work, same with the multitasking.

Either way, I will be purchasing this because the device to me is better than an iPad. I've owned every iPhone and iPad, and I just recently purchased the Torch. In between each iPhone release I switched to different BlackBerry phones. I loved them every time, so I think my switch will be permanent this time around. I hate the Apple restrictions, but their products are great.

If anyone else can try those issues I had above, and hopefully contradict my findings, that would be great.
    psmirf likes this.
    04-16-11 09:44 PM
    I tried one today, Build 1.0.1.1500. I didn't have the same issues with multitasking but I didn't try a game.

I agree about the power button - it was flush but wasn't an issue for me. The rep mentioned that the production models will stick out a little, but I don't see myself powering it down.
    04-16-11 09:49 PM
    I agree with you totally on your "pros". the camera, screen, and video playback are unbelievably crisp, colorful, whatever adjectives one can use to convey "AWESOME". I was truly blown away by the display, as well as fluidity of the browser. I can't say enough about either.
    04-16-11 09:50 PM
    I was completely impressed with the overall device. Every issue I had should be fixed with very soon updates to the software. So it's not a complete wash. :P
    04-16-11 09:58 PM
    Your website works on my iPad can't wait until Tuesday!
    04-16-11 10:09 PM
    I went into work early today so I had a good amount of time to play with our demo unit.

Pros:
    Extremely fluid, gestures and all
    Multitasking was nice
    Camera was a lot better than expected
    Form factor is perfect
    Power button wasn't hard to press
    Screen was gorgeous

Cons:
    Website I work for crashed the browser every time (esea.net)
    Websites like TinyChat don't recognize a camera, extremely let down
    Multitasking wouldn't allow simultaneous viewing of a movie, camera, and game (on showcase mode, or default)

I realized that the demo unit wasn't on the latest build, so I upgraded, then our WiFi disappeared like usual. So I couldn't test if my site or TinyChat would work, same with the multitasking.

Either way, I will be purchasing this because the device to me is better than an iPad. I've owned every iPhone and iPad, and I just recently purchased the Torch. In between each iPhone release I switched to different BlackBerry phones. I loved them every time, so I think my switch will be permanent this time around. I hate the Apple restrictions, but their products are great.

If anyone else can try those issues I had above, and hopefully contradict my findings, that would be great.
    Off topic but:
    You work for ESEA? Haha man, I've been a member there for years and only this past year have I not had time to get on.

Also, the build might have been a problem in your case. Kevin recently said that he wasn't encountering the memory problems on the newest build he got, for example. I think the final release product will be a decent amount better than what everyone has tried so far. The good news is we're seeing RIM constantly pushing updates and we can hope that this is also the case after release since they don't have to go through carriers.
    04-17-11 02:30 AM
    Off topic but:
    You work for ESEA? Haha man, I've been a member there for years and only this past year have I not had time to get on.

Also, the build might have been a problem in your case. Kevin recently said that he wasn't encountering the memory problems on the newest build he got, for example. I think the final release product will be a decent amount better than what everyone has tried so far. The good news is we're seeing RIM constantly pushing updates and we can hope that this is also the case after release since they don't have to go through carriers.
    I work for the ESEAmarket technically, I am the writer and reviewer for all of their products like keyboard, mice, mouse pads, etc. Small world. :P

I wish I had a chance to try out the latest build, we have a meeting today so I should be able to get some good time after it since the store won't be open yet. :P
    04-17-11 05:29 AM
    I work for the ESEAmarket technically, I am the writer and reviewer for all of their products like keyboard, mice, mouse pads, etc. Small world. :P

I wish I had a chance to try out the latest build, we have a meeting today so I should be able to get some good time after it since the store won't be open yet. :P
    Ahh sweet! I ordered stuff from there a few years ago. Still have the QCK+ mousepad actually haha. I think I got my Siberias from there too. Hmm. Either way, good stuff! :P

I'm sort of glad I haven't had a hands on because the anticipation is already killing me. I stopped in once to check it out but Staples didn't have a unit in yet. Let us know what build is on there and if anything's changed!
    04-17-11 05:34 AM
    Esea.net works on my 9700. I tried one out at a Best Buy last night. I love it. Tuesday feels like its a year away right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-11 06:40 AM
    @ the store on Edgar Rd in St. Louis the 16GB demo unit was running v.1534

Just curious what some of the other demo units out there were running ?
    Last edited by schiri; 04-17-11 at 07:56 AM.
    04-17-11 07:52 AM
    Near Milwaukee I was on .1534 as well and had no issues at all with multitasking or anything else. My mom was upgrading her phone so I played for about 2 hours.
    04-17-11 08:31 AM
    One thing we have to consider with the updates that will be available to the Playbook (wifi version). They will not be controlled by our cell phone carriers. I have owned the Storm and Storm2 and found it very frustrating to have to wait for my carrier to approve OS from Blackberry. The middle man is gone and if there are glitches should be resolved quickly. They want this product to sell!
    04-17-11 08:55 AM
    I immediately ordered the Playbook after playing with it at Best Buy. Screen and HD video playback was amazing and screen was better than anything else out. The fluidness of the UI and the multitasking is not touchable buy any other platform out now. After watching Kevin's review on the Bridge I'm psyched about the ability to use the Bridge browser for free. I know the apps will come and the platform will only improve.

I went ahead and started an update on the unit because it said one was available. I may run back today to test it out with logging into my government e-mail via Web to see if I can expect it to work (didn't on simulator because of lack of Java support). Hopefully my pre-order ships out on Monday but I used standard (I'm cheap and I can't wait a few more days) so maybe they'll get a few more kinks worked out while mine is coming.
    04-17-11 08:57 AM
    When I was talking to the guy at Best Buy he was highly recommending it to quite a few people telling them how it was better than the iPad and comparable tablets. At my local store they had many more preorders than were expected and he said they expect to be sold out of them during launch week.
    04-17-11 10:47 AM
    im posting from one right now, i'm defently in love with even this buggy build. btw any NJ people near Brick come down and play they got a few running just ask.
    Now my impressions of the unit, is this thing is amazingly fast, comfortable in my hands, light, just everything was lead to believe. the minor bugs on 1.01.1628 are very minor and there is a update ready for it. im finding hard to return the demo.
    04-17-11 11:00 AM
    I am at work and I called my bestbuy and they have the demo unit finally, so after work I will swing by and play with it for at least 15 or 20 minutes. So I will find out if I like it or not today.
    04-17-11 11:25 AM
    I played with a working Playbook at Best Buy.

Wifi was not working for whatever reason so I could not do much. Also, no possibility of testing bridging or anything. It seems like a solid platform. Hopefully good use is made of it!
    04-17-11 12:00 PM
    I am at work and I called my bestbuy and they have the demo unit finally, so after work I will swing by and play with it for at least 15 or 20 minutes. So I will find out if I like it or not today.
    15 or 20mins isn't anoff. I was there for a 1hr 30mins, it was almost un-put downable. By almost i mean i had to force my self to return it, and i used 2% of the 1/3 full battery. Everything felt right, despite the glitches like youtube app not working on that build and such. If your anything like me you'll be thinking about relocating the demo unit to your car and driving it home.
    Everything felt smooth and fluid, even the way it handles glitches was smooth. I didn't bother updating it because a) it wasn't mine and i couldn't keep it b) the wifi server kept dropping c) i would miss it more then i already do. Tether didn't work on the demo build so i couldn't try that out. I tested the embedded youtube by going to our favorite site.
    The device is definitely a winner despite the glitches, and those are just temporary. If the sales fall into the fail zone after Tuesday ill know for sure there is no hope for the human race. My hands still have the feeling of that wonderful backing that it had.
    Also im changing my pre order to bestbuy since the kid there said that i WILL get one on the 19th. So i pre-ordered a 64gb one there and am now going to cancel the one through staples. All three local staples couldn't guarantee a 64gb one for me until the following week and i'm not going to risk not being around to get it.
    Last edited by drethos; 04-17-11 at 12:05 PM.
    04-17-11 12:02 PM
    15 or 20mins isn't anoff. I was there for a 1hr 30mins, it was almost un-put downable. By almost i mean i had to force my self to return it, and i used 2% of the 1/3 full battery. Everything felt right, despite the glitches like youtube app not working on that build and such. If your anything like me you'll be thinking about relocating the demo unit to your car and driving it home.
    Everything felt smooth and fluid, even the way it handles glitches was smooth. I didn't bother updating it because a) it wasn't mine and i couldn't keep it b) the wifi server kept dropping c) i would miss it more then i already do. Tether didn't work on the demo build so i couldn't try that out. I tested the embedded youtube by going to our favorite site.
    The device is definitely a winner despite the glitches, and those are just temporary. If the sales fall into the fail zone after Tuesday ill know for sure there is no hope for the human race. My hands still have the feeling of that wonderful backing that it had.
    Also im changing my pre order to bestbuy since the kid there said that i WILL get one on the 19th. So i pre-ordered a 64gb one there and am now going to cancel the one through staples. All three local staples couldn't guarantee a 64gb one for me until the following week and i'm not going to risk not being around to get it.
    I've already given up on the human race for two reasons:

1. look at the millions of people willing to own products that are dummied down to appeal to the laziest of non-technical consumers--ie, the Apple crowd.

2. Pia Toscano got voted off Idol. Insanity. There simply is no hope for humanity.
    04-17-11 12:09 PM
    I've already given up on the human race for two reasons:

1. look at the millions of people willing to own products that are dummied down to appeal to the laziest of non-technical consumers--ie, the Apple crowd.

2. Pia Toscano got voted off Idol. Insanity. There simply is no hope for humanity.
    1. there is still hope that the sheep can be swayed little by little. we just have to murder the shepherd or change who it is (i like murder better but its not legal if you get caught).

2. LOL i don't even watch idol and i found that funny
    04-17-11 12:34 PM
    I won't be there for super long time, but 20 or 30 minutes. Is enough to see if the device is good and the software is good, or not.
    04-17-11 01:07 PM
    1. there is still hope that the sheep can be swayed little by little. we just have to murder the shepherd or change who it is (i like murder better but its not legal if you get caught).

2. LOL i don't even watch idol and i found that funny
    I was in love with my Apple products, while I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy, I definitely enjoyed their products.

I've switched for one reason to be quite honest, too many people have Apple products. I remember when buying an iPhone/iPad was considered premium. I walked into my work (BestBuy) and saw a mother buying her five year-old son an iPhone 4. That is just completely absurd. I got my first cell phone when I was 16, and I had to pay for it myself. I then built credit up to get my own AT&T plan at 17. After that I stuck with iPhones, but it's too popular now.

BlackBerrys feel a lot more professional to me, and I inspire to be as professional as I possibly can everyday. I want to be a business person in the future, not a normal one, but one nonetheless. I feel with BlackBerry I can achieve that more comfortably and more professionally as well.

/endrant
    04-17-11 09:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD