So a few weeks back I wanted a bb playbook went to my local Bestbuy and asked questions mistake #1 the guy had no idea what it did besides"it sucks don't get it" came back a day later to buy one, door to the display case was broke fast forward 2 days the door was still broke. I had to order one for instore pick up to get them to get a locksmith out to open it. Finally got it and love it. My friend loved mine and went to Bestbuy mobile and they told him how much it sucked and got him to buy an ipad instead. Is anyone else seeing a major issues with stores like this or am I over reacting
    05-31-12 12:31 PM
    I've given up on getting any 'technical' advice from BestBuy. They repeatedly tried to get me to get something else than a PB. I ended up going to buy one from Office Depot because their salesman was at least somewhat knowledgeable.

Granted their accessories suck and are overpriced...but that's another issue.
    05-31-12 01:00 PM
    I have never encountered a salesman actually saying product xyz "sucked" but yet i hear all these stories on here about it. I just find that odd
    G550Pilot likes this.
    05-31-12 01:04 PM
    The salesman did not come out and say the PB sucked in my case. It was just that ever so 'gentle' nudging towards some other device instead....and a lack of knowledge about how to turn it on among other issues.
    05-31-12 01:07 PM
    I have been lol at for asking about a playbook in best buy and staples. So I know exactly what your talking about and I don't find it odd at all. Apparently if you use or want a BlackBerry there is something wrong with you.
    LewLew23, bungaboy and kbz1960 like this.
    05-31-12 01:23 PM
    I over hear BestBuy and VZW reps all the time when I'm shopping pushing people away from what they wanted and were asking about, towards a device the customer didn't care for in the first place.. trying to explain the customer's choice was a "bad" decision because the product they were pushing was "so great" (and in many cases listing features that BOTH devices have)

BestBuy rep did it to me when I was showing my neighbor a Sony TV that 1. fit her budget, 2. looked good, and 3. fit her beautiful (and not so cheap) cabinet that she wanted to keep because it went with her living room set... He tried to push us to a Samsung, telling us how much better they were without any facts to back it up (never mind its picture quality was inferior, it had excessive light bleed from the edge lit LED, would never had fit in her cabinet, and was $500 over the budget she told him she had!).

When the DROIDs hit Verizon, all of a sudden, all other phones became "garbage" and the DROIDs were the "best"... And that continues... Now it seems to be "Oh, you want an iPhone, yeah we have them, but take a look at this droid its better..." "Oh, blackberry? yeah, we don't have them in the store anymore because RIM is dead"
    05-31-12 01:30 PM
    Guy at Best Buy said "hope you know what you're doing" when I insisted I wanted one instead of the Ipad he was trying to push on me because it had "like a million apps."
    When I asked him about a certain feature he said he didn't know much about the Playbook to which I replied "Then how can you tell me the Ipad is better?" I then took the PB from him and said I'd pay for it up front, he wanted to ring it through for me and I said "Why should you get credit for something you don't know anything about.?" He wasn't happy but then neither was I and the customer is always right, right?
    BB is nothing more than a glorified Costco except I like Costco. I wish they sold the PB.
    05-31-12 01:41 PM
    My PlayBook (from bestbuy) was a gift from my oldest son so I don't know what he had to deal with picking that up. When my wife and I went back to upgrade to the Bold 9930 the store rep told us they were great solid cell phones and she was going to get one when her upgrade was available. Just my personal experience.
    05-31-12 01:56 PM
    My dad went to bestbuy in raleigh, NC and the guy told him dont get it, PB is being discontinued and RIM is goijg out of business. He bought an ipad. Mind u, he Went to get a Playbook because he has been playing with mine for a while.

That was several months ago, I started a thread about it.

Day b4 mothers day I went to Best Buy to buy a PB for my mom. I got it with no problem. I go to the register to pay (in the tablet section) and she says " r u sure u don't wanna get the samsung instead" I said yes I'm sure I don't wanna spend more for an inferior device. She says ok don't say I didn't warn you.

Whoever in this thread doubting that Bestbuy employees are bad mouthing and hurting PB sales, they r wrong, it is real and happening.
    LewLew23 and bungaboy like this.
    05-31-12 02:03 PM
    Back in January's when I wanted to upgrade from my 16g to a 64g PB, I was told by BestBuy that they don't even store them in the stores anymore,and I would have to order one over the Internet,he wouldn't even put in the order. Went to Radio Shack, had one 3 days later.

In April,went back to best buy to upgrade my BB phone to the Bold 9930, and was told the only BB phone they carry is the torch,funny thing is I wasn't due for an upgrade yet I was paying cash. Bought one through Sprint, thief lost.
    05-31-12 02:28 PM
    I have to wonder why anyone on the CB boards (whom I would assume are already more tech smart and tech savvy than the average Best Buy customer) would actually want any technical input or expect helpful salesmanship from Best Buy employees? IMO, they've been a crappy company with consistently horrible service for 15+ years.
    05-31-12 02:35 PM
    I have to wonder why anyone on the CB boards (whom I would assume are already more tech smart and tech savvy than the average Best Buy customer) would actually want any technical input or expect helpful salesmanship from Best Buy employees? IMO, they've been a crappy company with consistently horrible service for 15+ years.
    We get a perverse pleasure in asking them questions whose answers we already know but they apparently do not always know.
    bungaboy, jacknewp and MrNerdNet like this.
    05-31-12 03:10 PM
    We went to Staples to look for a PB case for my wife's PB and were enthusiastically told "we don't carry the BlackBerry Touch Pad any more. I was a fool to try and explain the difference. Left very angry. Their staff have no clue as to what they are doing and why.

Sure wish CompUSA was still around.
    06-01-12 01:00 AM
    I was at a Future Shop a few weeks ago and while walking by the Tablet section I overheard the salesperson and a customer talking about tablets. After the customer asked about the PlayBook, the rep immediately said "don't buy that...it's a bad tablet." After a few more questions the rep left, and then I struck up a conversation with the customer and showed them my PlayBook. I even showed how it bridges to a BlackBerry as they had a Bold 9700.

As I was leaving, I saw them again at the tills as the cashier was ringing up a PlayBook. That put a smile on my face!
    06-01-12 01:34 AM
    So a few weeks back I wanted a bb playbook went to my local Bestbuy and asked questions mistake #1 the guy had no idea what it did besides"it sucks don't get it" came back a day later to buy one, door to the display case was broke fast forward 2 days the door was still broke. I had to order one for instore pick up to get them to get a locksmith out to open it. Finally got it and love it. My friend loved mine and went to Bestbuy mobile and they told him how much it sucked and got him to buy an ipad instead. Is anyone else seeing a major issues with stores like this or am I over reacting
    Wow! There seems to be alot of that going around. My experience was quite different though. I walked in and bought one, no "don't buy it" or rudeness. After I purchased it I walking around the BestBuy for awhile and one Verizon mobile rep said "so be bold, is it?" I in return said " YEAH!" the rep next to him told him he could joke if he wanted but they don't see alot of returns for BB products .
    Last edited by dragons9sons; 06-01-12 at 08:52 AM.
    Creaulx likes this.
    06-01-12 08:49 AM
    Just search for the many threads on here about worst buy.
    06-01-12 08:58 AM
    I want to get a job at BestBuy just to sell Playbooks to the fools getting lured into spending their money elsewhere. When people grab a Kindle fire instead of a Playbook I nearly want to kill them...... but not really
    06-01-12 09:04 AM
    Naw i just want to walk in with a great big...and...

Well you get the point. Different corporations promote their products different ways inside Best Buy and other retailers. The failure here is RIM not taking the aggressive stance with these companies and not blowing their own horn

What would happen if there was a live bridge demo with and without a hdmi tv connected. I see iTV displays with brand x TVs connected all the time.

Why can't there be a full on BlackBerry display?

Promotion = exposure

I think they need to take some of that payroll offset and turn it into effective promotion.
    Cracklen likes this.
    06-02-12 12:46 AM
    FYI, Best Buy's founder and chairman quit today per this CNN story. Must be pretty bad when the founder finally realizes he's flubbed things up for long enough and needs to let somebody else try to fix it before they get sold or go out of business.

Hmmm, sounds rather similar to what happened at a certain Canadian cellphone company I'm a fan of.

Best Buy chairman resigns from board - Jun. 7, 2012
    06-07-12 12:45 PM
    the Best Buy store in Atlanta GA sales person was both knowledgeable and helpful re: the features of the Playbooks I purchased on thre different occassions mostly because I came in with only the intent to buy this Product. Of Course, they readily admit that BB Management incentivizes them through promotions to "PUSH" certain manufacturer Products at certain time periods. So the moral of the story is don't be a moron and expect the BB person to do anything but sell you something. Do your own research and weigh the features and hardware power built into the devise (tablet) and make your own choice then no one is to balme for your poor decision but yourself.

Nuf said for preaching today - can I have an AMEN?

Michael
    06-07-12 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD