I'm trying to decide whether to keep a Playbook I just got with a 30-day return policy. To me, the real advantage is the Bridge, but it won't work with my current 8330 Curve. The Curve is old, but I love the battery life, not to mention the physical keyboard. So I'm thinking of getting a used BB that will bridge, to get me through until the new BB10 phones arrive. What Sprint phone would provide good battery life (epecially with bridging), reliability, and a physical keyboard?
    05-02-12 01:25 AM
    Stick with your 8330 for now. "Why?" you ask???

Because if you download the OS 5 from Boost Mobile, you can update your 8330 on Sprint, seriously. All you have to do is delete Vendor.XML

Google it, follow this the steps, then thank me later and ENJOY BRIDGE!!
    05-02-12 02:43 AM
    If you do decide to get a different phone get Bold 9930 from Sprint it is slightly wider than the other models making it easier to use. You can always use the section 8 boost shortcut til 10 arrives.
    05-02-12 04:51 AM
    Just got a 9930 at Best Buy yesterday for 99 bucks! Loving it! Sale ends May 12th

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Willard814 and Spencerdl like this.
    05-02-12 05:29 AM
    The Bold 9930 is the best phone on Sprint, but you could pick up a Bold 9650 pretty cheap right now to hold you over until October for BB10 touch or sometime after the first of the year for a BB10 phone with physical keyboard. Or use your Curve 8330 as described above if it still works alright, maybe get a new battery at Amazon.com because you are gonna find yourself using your phone more than ever with the PB bridged to it.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-02-12 06:13 AM
    If you want to go the full touch screen route the 9850 is a great device as well.

I have one for sale if you are interested
    05-02-12 07:30 AM
    I was in the same boat as you, I got a playbook and still have it. Then I got a 9850, I love the integration of both units, but, the 9850 totally ruined my BB experience. It kept freezing and lagging. I was so frustrated to see my wifes iPhone zipping along so fluently, while I kept having to call support and restart my phone. I ended up getting an iPhone and an iPad and don't Regret it at all
    05-02-12 07:49 AM
    Don't need to go to Boost Mobile if you're already on Sprint. Just update the 8330 OS to 5.0, and you're done. Works great (Bridge) on my Sprint 8330 Curve.
    05-02-12 08:41 AM
    Just purchased the Sprint Bold 9930 from BestBuy for $99 on Monday. A solid device at a very GOOD price, I will enjoy it and the PlayBook combo until a BB10 with a keypad comes out (2013??). I figured at $99 I couldn't go wrong.
    jafobabe likes this.
    05-02-12 08:58 AM
    Thanks, everyone. I should have been more specific--I have a Curve 8330M. As far as I can tell from all the posts, none of the 5.0 upgrades work for this model. The $99 BestBuy deal on a Bold 9930 is tempting, but I'd like to save my upgrade option and find a used 7.0 phone. Looks like the concensus is that the 9930 is best, but the 9650 would be reasonable, especially to get by while waiting for a BB10 phone (assuming I can't give up a physical keyboard.)
    05-02-12 09:56 PM
    If you simply want to save $ and be able to bridge, I recommend checking online @ sprint.com and you can pick up a refurbished BlackBerry no contract for cheap. They have curve 8530, 9330, and the Tour for under $100. If you can deal with a trackball still, go for the Tour as it has the highest rating and the nicest of the choices with a Boldish keyboard.

I personally have the 9930 and it's a hard 1 to beat. It's like they built this thing with the PlayBook in mind.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 05-02-12 at 10:14 PM.
    05-02-12 10:09 PM
    Thanks, everyone. I should have been more specific--I have a Curve 8330M. As far as I can tell from all the posts, none of the 5.0 upgrades work for this model. The $99 BestBuy deal on a Bold 9930 is tempting, but I'd like to save my upgrade option and find a used 7.0 phone. Looks like the concensus is that the 9930 is best, but the 9650 would be reasonable, especially to get by while waiting for a BB10 phone (assuming I can't give up a physical keyboard.)
    Yeah, I figured you were talking about the 8330m as I had one and hated that we were unable to upgrade. I bought the 9930 and absolutely love it. I was going to wait for BB10 as well but then the charging port on my Style gave out so I had no choice. I haven't regretted it for a second. You've got to do what's comfortable for you. My only concern was the uncertainty of the timeframe for the release of BB10 phones (especially the ones with a physical keyboard which I refuse to be without). If you don't mind waiting, save a few bucks and do that.
    05-02-12 10:20 PM
    If you can deal with a trackball...
    Lol! I booted up my old Curve the other day and scrolling with that old trackball about had me tearing my hair out. Crazy cuz I thought it was so awesome when I had it. Trackpad & touchscreen have me spoiled.
    axllebeer likes this.
    05-02-12 10:25 PM
    Save your upgrade discount because I'm sure that the unsubsidised price of BB10 phones will make you glad you did.

I would go onto ebay and look for a used/refurb Bold 9650. It's got a faster processor than the Curve and more memory. Plus, it's got wifi. I've been loving mine and haven't been able to justify eating up my dicsount just yet.

Two things to keep in mind though:
    a) I don't know how long you've had your Curve on your plan, buy as of about a year ago, if you activate any smartphone on your plan that is not an insurance replacement, you will automatically get hit with Sprint's additional $10.00 per month data fee. So whatever phone you change to it could cost you $10.00 more per month.

b) You'll probably be waiting longer than Q3 this year for a BB10 phone. If RIM releases a BB10 phone in, for example, October, it will most likely be a GSM-based phone so that it can launch internationally and in the US on AT&T. If history is any good indication, we probably won't be seeing CDMA BB10 phones on Sprint until much later. And, expect it to come to Verizon months before we see a Sprint one.

So whatever you decide to go with, make sure you'll be happy with it for longer than this coming October. I'm hoping for a Sprint BB10 phone by June 2013, so I'm not going to excercise my discount yet. But I'm currently running a 9650 that was activated before Sprint changed their mandatory data charge.

But whatever you do, the Bridge functionality is too cool to be missing out on and it only gets better with each upgrade.
    05-02-12 11:59 PM
    I like the track ball.
    05-03-12 12:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD