Hi was just wondering what the best method on the playbook is to use Skype video calls? Also can anyone recommend me what the best Android ported apps are (not games) thanks.
    09-25-12 10:38 AM
    There's a whole section on sideloading & android apps in the apps section of this forum. Try there first but without you specifying 'what' type of apps you're looking for you may not get a response.

As for skype - again there's countless threads on this...including one earlier today on the front page of the Playbook section. At present using imo.im through the browser is a valid option.

Before someone else says it, and not to be rude, please use the search function to see if answers or discussions already exist.
    09-25-12 11:01 AM
    You can't use Skype video chat. With Imo.Im you can chat and maybe call? Some say AOL AV works for video chat.

For android, I don't know.
    09-25-12 11:55 AM
    use Comwave instead of Skype
    it works well
    AcADIeN likes this.
    09-26-12 12:02 PM
    I've had some decent results using faceflow.com for video chat on my pb as someone suggested to me on the forums it works for me and imo not a hard sell to friends because you don't have to download any software you just use directly from the browser.
    diegonei likes this.
    09-26-12 12:24 PM
    ePhone from Comwave works great. Made for the Playbook and now is available for PC/MAC, Android and iPhones. I use a retro phone that plugs into the mic/speaker.
    11-08-12 10:16 AM
    Also can anyone recommend me what the best Android ported apps are (not games) thanks.
    If you are into anything that requires you to attend/organize multiple meetings, you might find my app "Meeting Minute Pro" interesting.. It is an Android ported app and has received some very good reviews from many PB owners...

There is a free demo version available if you want to try it out first...
    11-08-12 10:40 AM
    This site works nicely and is web based. Have used it a couple of times: AV by AOL - Let's video chat!
    11-08-12 10:40 AM
    use Comwave instead of Skype
    it works well
    _______

But one user says it sounds tinny. Anything to do with the jack?
    11-08-12 07:23 PM
    You could always get a remote desktop app and simply use skype that way.
    11-08-12 07:31 PM
    I've had some decent results using faceflow.com for video chat on my pb as someone suggested to me on the forums it works for me and imo not a hard sell to friends because you don't have to download any software you just use directly from the browser.
    Now this is awesome! Browser-based, non platform dependant, free, video chat. All you need is an account. You friends DON'T!! No need to sell a new video platform to anyone. Just provide them with your link and they can call you anytime they want.

Mr. esk369, we of the BlackBerry bretheren thank you for your discovery.

PS: IMO.im/now was supposed to do the same thing, it just won't work on the PlayBook.

EDIT: Does it work on MacOS devices? Looks like it's flash based.
    11-09-12 08:48 AM
    The web version is definitely Flash based. It looks like they have a Mac and Windows app coming soon, and mobile apps are listed as "Coming soon" for iOS and Android.
    11-09-12 11:15 AM
    I find the sound fine but you have to use headphones, otherwise you get an echo.
    11-09-12 02:04 PM
    best work around that I can think of is to buy second playbook. playbook is dirty cheap today and playbook video chat app is actually really good.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    11-09-12 02:24 PM
    Free Video Chat - Quick & Simple | FaceFlow is a browser oreintated version of Skype. Allows anyone of a brower to video/talk to anyone else who has installed the programme. And it's free.
    11-10-12 12:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD