can anyone tell me what is the best pdf reader for the playbook i mostly read magazines such has t3, stuff etc
    01-04-12 07:04 AM
    If you are not on the Beta OS, the best reader is the Adobe reader.
    01-04-12 07:37 AM
    That's because it is the ONLY reader for OS1. And it is not terrific!!!
    01-04-12 10:13 AM
    If you are looking for a "reader" the built in adobe reader is fine. If you need more than a reader it can be problematic.
    01-04-12 10:20 AM
    If you are looking for a "reader" the built in adobe reader is fine. If you need more than a reader it can be problematic.
    Problematic. I appreciate understatement.
    Just make sure you have a pack of sticky notes to record the page you were on before switching files or shutting down the viewer and you'll be fine...
    01-04-12 03:23 PM
    There doesn't seem to be an appetite from Adobe or any other developers at the moment to create an app that can handle .pdf document features like for example, PDF Expert for the iPad does. Hopefully that changes.

I'm this far away |<->| from learning how to create apps for the playbook.
    01-04-12 03:38 PM
    A PDF reader is a non-trivial app to write, and we've had a decent version of the NDK for only a bit over a month, and in fact it's still missing anything resembling a user interface framework so you'd have to roll your own for all the "chrome" around the basic page rendering.

I'm quite confident there are at least several decent PDF readers in the works and, even if I'm wrong on that, there should be several along in the month or two following the release of the Cascades beta, whenever we actually see it...
    01-04-12 03:49 PM
    Problematic. I appreciate understatement.
    Just make sure you have a pack of sticky notes to record the page you were on before switching files or shutting down the viewer and you'll be fine...
    +1 - I finally created a word doc & listed my pdfs so I can just open it and edit the page number I was on. A pain, but better than nothing.
    01-04-12 04:05 PM
    OK Word doc exists. How to you get to the page? 134 for example, I'm having to scroll through every page, again & again. the numbers at the bottom lhs do not allow me to type in a number to jump to - or am I doing something wrong?
    Chris
    02-22-12 05:27 AM
    I heard repligo is good but you have to sideload it.
    02-22-12 05:36 AM
    pdf pro for android has all the functionality, sideload it using ddpb
    02-22-12 06:00 AM
    I heard repligo is good but you have to sideload it.
    I sideloaded it. It searches through PDFs. Enough said.

I'm use to jailbreaking iPhones. Sideloading is a snap compared to some jailbreak experiences I've had.
    02-22-12 06:54 AM
    I sideloaded it. It searches through PDFs. Enough said.

I'm use to jailbreaking iPhones. Sideloading is a snap compared to some jailbreak experiences I've had.
    I've jailbroken Apple TVs, iPhones, Touches, etc... thats good to know then. I havent looked into sideloading at all, I was waiting to see what 2.0 looked liked. Maybe its time to start reading. Is there a guide that you used? Not knowing anything about it, you never know if the stuff you find is ancient or not. If you know of a good starting reference, please let me know!
    02-22-12 07:22 AM
    I've jailbroken Apple TVs, iPhones, Touches, etc... thats good to know then. I havent looked into sideloading at all, I was waiting to see what 2.0 looked liked. Maybe its time to start reading. Is there a guide that you used? Not knowing anything about it, you never know if the stuff you find is ancient or not. If you know of a good starting reference, please let me know!
    Instructions I used:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...indows-619796/

Other instructions:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...-2-0-a-701348/

I'd buy that PDF reader if it was $2-3 for the app but $14.99 is redonkulous!!
    02-22-12 09:32 AM
    OK where is RepliGo BAR file? the listed site is not linking (multiload) or pdf pro. Just been in contact with RepliGo's makers - still undecided as to whether to cover the PlayBook - even though they could use the Android app!!
    Chris
    ltlowe likes this.
    02-22-12 09:36 AM
    pdf pro for android has all the functionality, sideload it using ddpb
    Where can you find that bar file?
    02-22-12 10:43 AM
    OK where is RepliGo BAR file? the listed site is not linking (multiload) or pdf pro. Just been in contact with RepliGo's makers - still undecided as to whether to cover the PlayBook - even though they could use the Android app!!
    Chris
    Well they're pretty lazy, cause their sideloaded app works perfectly so its just a matter of converting/submitting to Appworld for them... this is the perfect example why AppWorld is so low on apps...
    02-22-12 10:54 AM
    Chris
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...3/#post7152998
    02-22-12 11:02 AM
    I wrote to Ascendo/DataVault and mentioned moving their Android version to the pb.

The response follows but what irritated me was the "Cheers" signoff - "cheers" as they say no!

-------------
    Hi F2,

We are not currently developing any of our titles for the Playbook.
    For product announcements and updates, please join our Facebook page
    or follow us on Twitter.

Cheers,

xxxx

---------------
    02-22-12 11:02 AM
    Sideload RepliGo Reader...it's better than GoodReader!

1. Download the DDPB installer program and install it (google it)
    2. Download the RepliGo .BAR file (google it)
    3. Open the DDPB program
    4. Connect your PlayBook to computer
    5. Select the RepliGo .BAR file, click install

You should see a new red PDF icon on your PlayBook...it's a GREAT PDF reader/searcher/highlighter/bookmarker..etc..!
    02-26-12 12:17 AM
    im glad these developers fail to simply convert and submit their app. means that pirating it is my only option. i would pay for it if it was an option since I use it daily and would find it impossible to move everything i do over to adobe reader [what an utter fail of an app]
    02-26-12 02:42 AM
    I've asked the same question since the day I bought my PlayBook and let me tell you, there is NO app that you can read PDF magazines with on PlayBook yet and let me explain the shortcomings of each one:

1. Adobe Reader
    - Pros:
    - Fast
    - able to open big file (even ~100MB)
    - Cons:
    - Terrible rendering (See attachment for comparison)
    - no preview thumbnail when you flip through pages

2. Smart Office Lite
    - Pros:
    - Excellent rendering
    - FREE
    - Cons:
    - Unable to open big files (fails with 100MB file)
    - not designed to be a eBook reader so the pages are not displayed page by page

3. Amazon Kindle (Android sideload)
    You have to convert PDF to mobi before you can load your mag on your kindle app.
    - Pros:
    - Acceptable rendering quality
    - Cons:
    - Very unstable, quits after reading 5-10pages
    - a pain to zoom in and out

Conclusion:

Forget about PDF magazines and hope that your favourite magazines come to Zinio
    Last edited by rc.simpsons; 04-03-12 at 03:39 AM. Reason: add attachment
    04-03-12 03:36 AM
    OMG!!!! I sideloaded the suggested Repligo and what I can tell is, IT'S OUT OF MY EXPECTATION! It renders text very well, smart zoom in and out, page preview thumbnail. Almost perfect! If this is native BlackBerry PlayBook app, I'll give it a 5 stars!

Shame on you, ADOBE!
    FF22 likes this.
    04-03-12 03:57 AM
    please i need a pdf reader for my bold 9700
    08-06-12 06:16 AM
    please i need a pdf reader for my bold 9700
    You might be asking in the wrong forum but docs-to-go for bb phones contains a pdf reader (or add-on - depends on which version comes on that phone).
    08-06-12 09:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD