Which is the best navigation app for playbook? (with europa maps)
    09-21-12 01:44 AM
    Try a search, this has been discussed numerous times.
    09-21-12 06:06 AM
    Looks like 2.1 is getting a navigator along with Native BBM I might add
    09-21-12 09:51 AM
    OsmAnd and Nogago - Free

Maggelan - Paid

Google Maps - Sideloaded.
    09-21-12 10:00 AM
    Google Maps - Sideloaded.

I agree with google maps (latitude) - sideloaded
    09-21-12 10:47 AM
    I agree with google maps (latitude) - sideloaded
    Do you have a link for the .bar file?
    09-21-12 11:13 AM
    Magellan Compass looks promising it's $4.99 in the App World Buy Magellan Compass Maps - Download Magellan Compass Maps - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

Crackberry article
    Magellan Compass for Blackberry PlayBook updated with some new features | CrackBerry.com

Bing Maps isn't very good on the Playbook. Google Latitude sideloaded works wonderfully.
    09-21-12 11:20 AM
    I have tried and/or bought them all. I have found that the paid version of Navigator seems to be the best in my opinion. Perhaps a little cumbersome UI, but once you understand it, it is ok.

I keep emailing the developer to make it more intuitive.
    esk369 and curve-20 like this.
    09-21-12 11:37 AM
    Looks like 2.1 is getting a navigator along with Native BBM I might add
    Sweet! Where did you hear this?
    09-21-12 12:28 PM
    So far this one seem to be the one with less issue.

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ivated-704226/
    09-21-12 12:28 PM

Top Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android App Market and Store - Playbook App Market and Store

I use google chrome browser with Playbook App Manager extension to sideload on wifi.
    09-21-12 02:59 PM
    Based on my experience with Magellan Compass, I would strongly advise against using it, even it were free (not the 4.99 I paid).

This software fails in so many areas.

The instructions suck.

Can't adjust scales of maps using the -/+ buttons. Trying to adjust by pecking on the lines above these buttons fails or works slowly. Same with pinch to zoom.

Despite loading more than a gig of info in the cache (an extremely slow and unwieldy process), navigating without a wi-fi connection doesn't work.

Constantly crashes.

I don't mind the 4.99. I do mind the hours I've spent trying to get this piece of garbage to work
    Last edited by ubeda92; 09-26-12 at 01:53 AM.
    Herve5 likes this.
    09-25-12 11:02 PM
    Based on my experience with Magellan Compass, I would strongly advise against using it, even it were free (not the 4.99 I paid).

This software fails in so many areas.

The instructions suck.

Can't adjust scales of maps using the -/+ buttons. Trying to adjust by pecking on the lines above these buttons fails or works slowly. Same with pinch to zoom.

Despite loading more than a gig of info in the cache (an extremely slow and unwieldy process), navigating without a wi-fi connection doesn't work.

Constantly crashes.

I don't mind the 4.99. I do mind the hours I've spent trying to get this piece of garbage to work
    I agree, don't waste your money on Magellan.

I've tried them all and feel that the best bang for your buck (free) is osmand - especially if offline navigation is desired.
    09-26-12 07:06 AM
    Tried most of these. Latitude (sideloaded) hands down the best.
    If you're into hiking or like satellite views then Viewranger (sideloaded) is awesome. I see it's available in app world with some crappy reviews, don't know what the difference would be.
    Using OS2.1 beta this is problem free.
    califlefty likes this.
    09-26-12 08:08 AM
    Tried most of these. Latitude (sideloaded) hands down the best.
    Latitude is nowhere near as good as Osmand, especially for offline use. Latitude is severely limited in the number of maps that can be cached, is very unstable running OS 2.0 (though much better running 2.1), can not calculate a route offline, and has a tendency to lose its GPS signal. Osmand, on the other hand, holds the GPS signal much better, can download a number of states/countries for offline use (as opposed to 10 x 10 mile squares in Latitude), and can calculate a route offline and can recalculate your route if you accidentally or intentionally stray off course. The advantages of Latitude are that, for some areas its maps may be better and it may calculate a better route when it has internet access.
    LunchAt1 likes this.
    09-26-12 09:08 AM
    Boight:

Thanks for the info on Osmand. I had in on my PBs, found it somewhat confusing, and didn't put much time into it. B/c it's free, I didn't believe complaints by me were warranted.

I'll spend some additional time on it and see how it works.

I recall that Osmand (at least in the free version) limits the number of maps one can download. I'll look into that again.

Having a couple of Nokia 1/4smart phones, I'm familiar with the Nokia Maps/OviMaps, or whatever Nokia is calling them these days. With the Nokia phones the service is free.

Nokia's mehod of downloading maps is relatively simple, altho, it seemed that, when Nokia updated a region, one had to redownload an entire file for that region, rather than a smaller file corresponding to the most recent set of changes.

My major problem with Nokia was that neither of the two phones could pick up a GPS signal during hours spent outside in two major cities in Europe. Futhermore, the voice guidance only works intermittently.

Thanks again for your advice.
    09-26-12 10:12 AM
    Try Nogago too, based on Osmand, but a bit polished.
    09-26-12 10:19 AM
    I found some useful BlackBerry playbook Apps for Maps & Navigation. Poynt, Life in Pocket, Traffic navigator , Wisepilot, Buzzd, Waze mobile navigator, Qype and so on.
    10-08-12 01:20 AM
    I tried most of them but wisepilot (sideloaded) seems to be the best of them all, you can store maps offline but you'll need a internet connection.
    10-08-12 02:31 AM
    familiar with the Nokia Maps/OviMaps, or whatever Nokia is calling them these days. With the Nokia phones the service is free.

Nokia's mehod of downloading maps is relatively simple, altho, it seemed that, when Nokia updated a region, one had to redownload an entire file for that region, rather than a smaller file corresponding to the most recent set of changes.

My major problem with Nokia was that neither of the two phones could pick up a GPS signal during hours spent outside in two major cities in Europe. Futhermore, the voice guidance only works intermittently.
    I've owned various Nokia smartphones (5800, N8 and 808) and have never come across those issues. GPS signal is picked up in less than a second and voice is always working.
    Make sure A-GPS is enabled in Positioning Settings. No idea why voice would fail.

Currently no decent navigation on Playbook. Will have to wait until BB10 launches.
    For now, you can sideload Google Map 6.12 (Android Player).
    califlefty likes this.
    10-08-12 03:07 AM
    I have tried and/or bought them all. I have found that the paid version of Navigator seems to be the best in my opinion. Perhaps a little cumbersome UI, but once you understand it, it is ok.

I keep emailing the developer to make it more intuitive.
    Seconded! Navigator is the best navigation app and it works completely offline!
    02-03-13 02:56 PM
    For me without any doubts Bring Me There:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ingmetherelite

Simple, smart and it works when it need to do: in difficult situations!!!

Bye Bye guys
    03-23-13 10:12 AM
    If you are prepared to wait a short while. Mireo will be available for Playbook BB10. It looks and is excellent. Runs on BB10 now.

Regards

Ross
    03-23-13 11:01 AM
    For me without any doubts Bring Me There:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ingmetherelite

Simple, smart and it works when it need to do: in difficult situations!!!

Bye Bye guys
    SPAM SPAM.............
    03-23-13 11:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD