Okay so got my playbook a month or so ago. When I told my brother about it and the great prices it convinced him to get two for his kids for Christmas. A couple weeks back I brought it to my niece so birthday party. My other brothers son, same age approx of my other nephews asked if he could use mine/play with it for a while...and this kid is so quiet he rarely asks for anything. He already knew how to use it so he must have used someone else's before. Like I said this kid is so quiet never asks for anything so I figured he must like it. When I was leaving I asked if he likes it and he says yes. So I ask his father if he had a Christmas gift for the kid yet cause of how much he liked using my playbook. I even told him that our other nephews (they are cousins and he is very close with them ) are getting them and with the playbooks they can all keep in touch easy with the video chat . Okay he says ill check with the wife. Fast forward to today family Christmas dinner and I see the little guy actually did get a tablet! Awesome! I go up and take a look and it's not a playbook but a Samsung something. My brother tells me he went for the playbook but the girl told him this one is better etc. Now my brother is not at all tech savvy and doesn't really know the difference but at least the chick could have asked why it was that he wanted the playbook and he may have mentioned the other cousins have them and the communication would have come up, but no. I think he even paid more for a 16g but she snowed him on something about a credit to buy books for the differences in price. To add insult he bought me a stand/holder for my playbook and he said "the person at Best Buy said it's for Ipad mini. But should work for Playbook, " Well it f+@$n doesn't lady!r
    End of vent.
    12-25-12 10:02 PM
    Ouch....sorry to hear, ignorance is all around us.
    00stryder, GV2012 and robkd like this.
    12-25-12 10:26 PM
    Have you vented to Best Buy yet? That might even make you feel better and get that female devil fired. Also help assure full employment at the Best Buy complaint department.
    12-25-12 11:29 PM
    Don't underestimate the power of complaining....and don't let up if they play hardball with you. Keep nagging and telling them how angry you are. It works.

-BMA major (Business Management and Administration)
    12-25-12 11:38 PM
    Tell your brother to return it and get the PlayBook and the same for your stand. Some clerks just trying to sell the latest gadget with out asking about the customers needs.
    BergerKing and robkd like this.
    12-25-12 11:41 PM
    I'm definitely going to bring this dumb stand back that's for sure but I will have to tread a little bit more lightly re telling my brother to return it. I will ask his son how he likes it and if doesn't ill see if I can pursuade him to return.
    12-26-12 12:39 AM
    I'm definitely going to bring this dumb stand back that's for sure but I will have to tread a little bit more lightly re telling my brother to return it. I will ask his son how he likes it and if doesn't ill see if I can pursuade him to return.
    think the return policy of electronics products is 14 days. To me, pb has lots of potential especially when it'll get to bbos 10. But most of the non-tech ppl somehow have trouble operating bb units. at least until os10 arrives.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    12-26-12 01:18 AM
    Remember, Best Buy and Futureshop employees are told which items to push. If they aren't verbally told they are told by the amount of commission they receive.
    The sales people are there to make a living. That's it. They aren't there to help people.
    12-26-12 06:27 AM
    Well the samsungv tablet, which we don't know the model, is probably better. Own a playbook myself but have to say it's someday limited outside is own os. If only Skype was on it, id love it.
    12-26-12 06:36 AM
    But they are not all innocent. Some of them get off bashing certain brands.
    MTL likes this.
    12-26-12 06:37 AM
    My point is, you have to know what you want before entering a big box store. Don't depend on sales staff to act in your best interest. They are there to sell the products that put the most money in their pockets that day. Most are not concerned with repeat business.
    You may get better advice from stores that are not commission based.
    diegonei and PatrickMJS like this.
    12-26-12 07:12 AM
    But they are not all innocent. Some of them get off bashing certain brands.
    They aren't going to bash the brand that gives them the most money.
    If the Playbook put $20 in their pocket and the Samsung put $10 you would see a big push on the Playbook.
    12-26-12 07:15 AM
    Remember, Best Buy and Futureshop employees are told which items to push. If they aren't verbally told they are told by the amount of commission they receive.
    The sales people are there to make a living. That's it. They aren't there to help people.
    "Best" Buy employees are paid by the hour; they are not on commission.
    BergerKing and bigbmc26 like this.
    12-26-12 08:09 AM
    They do receive sales commission in Canada.
    12-26-12 08:24 AM
    The salesperson are there to sell. Products that have dollar value beside profit margin. As a consumer if you do not know what you really one, it will be the salesperson's opinions that count. You do not get someone fire for not suggesting the type of device you do not agree with. Unless you insist on a specific product and she did a switcheroo during check out. If you are that concern about the brand type, perhaps you should have accompany your brother during his purchase.
    12-26-12 08:26 AM
    They aren't going to bash the brand that gives them the most money.
    If the Playbook put $20 in their pocket and the Samsung put $10 you would see a big push on the Playbook.
    Makes sense. What I was referring to is belitteling trash talk with inappropriate childish comments about certain brands and trying to talk somebody out if the decision they already made. There has been reports about people going into the store asking for a particular item only to get scoffed at and such and trying to tell you that you are just wrong and even going so far as refusing to sell you what you asked for. Been there, done that. That is idiotic and stupid and I felt insulted. All I did was asking for bringing me the item I wanted.
    They can still try to offer me something different, but don't treat me like an *****!
    12-26-12 08:31 AM
    think the return policy of electronics products is 14 days. To me, pb has lots of potential especially when it'll get to bbos 10. But most of the non-tech ppl somehow have trouble operating bb units. at least until os10 arrives.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    Potential - definition "possible, as opposed to actual".

OP I'd blame your brother for not buying the right tablet or you for not explaining how the PlayBooks could work together. The sales person probable did her job, and sold him a tablet that most consumers would have been happier having, heck the kid will probable get more use from a device that can be USED for other purposes than video conferencing. Some of you don't seem to understand that sales people do know what people want, and what most people want a tablet to do... the PlayBook is not very good at. Yes it's browser does flash... but it is slow. Yes it can be an eReader, but it doesn't have an official app to one of the largest online book stores. And lets face it, no one is supporting apps for it - if you want to access your bank it isn't going to happen, want to watch some TV Shows or Movies, it is very difficult to do. Where as with android or iOS all you have to do is download an app and you can access your cable company or satellite company's content for FREE.
    Drew808 and brianatbb like this.
    12-26-12 08:43 AM
    Makes sense. What I was referring to is belitteling trash talk with inappropriate childish comments about certain brands and trying to talk somebody out if the decision they already made.
    Certainly, I agree with that. They should be telling the customer why product A is better, not putting down product B.

I went to Futureshop with my sister to find her a TV. We already knew what we (she) wanted I just wanted to see if Futureshop had a better price than Costco.
    The sales guy never showed us the TV or even acknowledged that they had one. He spent the entire time I allowed him to talk trying to convince me to also purchase the $300 TV installation / calibration option.
    I finally asked him why he was trying to up-sell on a product that he hadn't even shown me yet. I still don't know if they had the TV in stock that day.

They get a much higher commission on service and warranty sales than they do on devices.
    12-26-12 09:59 AM
    I miss skype as well, this s*$#&s
    I have my business phone number on Skype-in, to get all the calls when overseas, now I have to forward all calls to comwave
    Or I have to use the IPod touch from my wife to make calls when we are overseas
    I am waiting until end of January, than make a decision, it looks like I will migrate to a windows 8 phone plus the new windows8 RT tablet
    at least I have the compatibility to all Outlook apps
    12-26-12 10:12 AM
    Certainly, I agree with that. They should be telling the customer why product A is better, not putting down product B.

I went to Futureshop with my sister to find her a TV. We already knew what we (she) wanted I just wanted to see if Futureshop had a better price than Costco.
    The sales guy never showed us the TV or even acknowledged that they had one. He spent the entire time I allowed him to talk trying to convince me to also purchase the $300 TV installation / calibration option.
    I finally asked him why he was trying to up-sell on a product that he hadn't even shown me yet. I still don't know if they had the TV in stock that day.

They get a much higher commission on service and warranty sales than they do on devices.
    That is exactly what I meant. It is fine trying to show me other options, but in the end the customer is supposed to King.
    You asked for what you wanted and they simply did not treat you accordingly. Completely ignoring your wish in this case is zero customer service and more like patronizing.
    12-26-12 10:16 AM
    Potential - definition "possible, as opposed to actual".

want to watch some TV Shows or Movies, it is very difficult to do.
    Want to watch them from dubious sources for free, then it's the only tablet that will do...

12-26-12 10:22 AM
    Best Buy employees always told me that they arent paid on commission.
    12-26-12 10:59 AM

That's why I avoid Best Buy and Future Shop, the only time I shop there is when I go in doing a price match, nothing like getting something that they have on the shelf for $60.00 and walking out paying only $12.00 for it.
    If I go into a store for a certain product it generally because I have done the research on it and know what I want to buy, if a sales person comes up to me and tries to help I let them know what product I am looking for and accept there assistance, if they tries to steer me away to something else I tell them he just lost the store and himself a sale and proceed to walk out. if they ask why I will let them why, in one case the sales person got a liitle PO'd, but I told him, I explained to you what product I wanted and for some reason you don't want to sell it to me so why should I waste my time and money here, when there are many other stores that will gladly take my business with out jerking me around.
    I really don't care if they are pushed to move certain products more, I'm the customer, and I'm an educated customer who knows what they want, so just do you job by assisting me with the purchase if it is needed.
    The push by these stores for the extended service packages also really pisses me off also, Future Shop, Best Buy and other's will not even look at you after 30 days if you try to return something with out a service package, even though it has a 1 year or longer manufactures warranty, you have to contact the manufacture. That's really standing up for the product you sell. This is were the small local shop usually really shine, they still go out of there way to give great customer service.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-26-12 11:11 AM
    That's why I avoid Best Buy and Future Shop, the only time I shop there is when I go in doing a price match, nothing like getting something that they have on the shelf for $60.00 and walking out paying only $12.00 for it.
    If I go into a store for a certain product it generally because I have done the research on it and know what I want to buy, if a sales person comes up to me and tries to help I let them know what product I am looking for and accept there assistance, if they tries to steer me away to something else I tell them he just lost the store and himself a sale and proceed to walk out. if they ask why I will let them why, in one case the sales person got a liitle PO'd, but I told him, I explained to you what product I wanted and for some reason you don't want to sell it to me so why should I waste my time and money here, when there are many other stores that will gladly take my business with out jerking me around.
    I really don't care if they are pushed to move certain products more, I'm the customer, and I'm an educated customer who knows what they want, so just do you job by assisting me with the purchase if it is needed.
    The push by these stores for the extended service packages also really pisses me off also, Future Shop, Best Buy and other's will not even look at you after 30 days if you try to return something with out a service package, even though it has a 1 year or longer manufactures warranty, you have to contact the manufacture. That's really standing up for the product you sell. This is were the small local shop usually really shine, they still go out of there way to give great customer service.
    I will agree and disagree with this. I used to be in retail sales. It was for specialty fitness equipment so it was a niche market. The majority of people that walked in were looking for something they heard about or saw a commercial about... Most notably, the Bowflex gyms. Now, seeing as they really knew nothing (the majority, not all) about the actual unit and only the perceived ease of use and benefits, it was my job to show them the options available to them. After that, they can make an informed decision as to what they want. Yes, in your case you know what you want, and I'm guessing the salesperson didn't qualify you enough to know that you knew what you wanted and knew that you had done your homework, but in his/her defence, they don't deal with a lot of informed consumers. A simple "listen, I've done my homework and know what I want. Please don't show me anything else and get me what I'd like, at the price I want, or I will go somewhere else" would work and save you having to drive elsewhere and come across as I'm sure you did.
    CopperTec likes this.
    12-26-12 11:21 AM
    Given everything is equal, says you have no biases against or for any devices. As a salesperson would you recommend Playbook when someone come in for an opinion with no brand preference? Chances are I will recommend the customer IPad, if someone do not have a brand preference. The chances of returning is slim, and they are less likely to blame me for making the purchase. Generally speaking if you ask them what do they want to do with the tablet, it's either they want games, apps, skype and watch movies. The point is, it is easy sell and higher sales in the shortest amount of time. That's the gist of retail. However, if a customer come with load of questions and aware of different brands of tablets, for sure I will part with as much knowledge as I can to help them make the decision. It does not mean PlayBook is an inferior product. It's less popular, not well known and stumble out of the gate when it got release. The fact is they are selling at a clear out price will have customers question the longevity of the tablet. A consumer with no knowledge of a tablet will not fork out money on a clear out item. It's cheap but it's still a couple of hundred dollars. We might know better here because of this site. It's still not a representation of the majority market out there.
    bp3dots and brianatbb like this.
    12-26-12 11:29 AM
103 123 ...