So I heard a rumor yesterday that Best Buy was going to start a huge iPad2 campaign today. Sure enough, the iPad2 takes up the full cover of their weekly ad. The PB is on page 7, in the bottom corner.

Maybe because it's not out till Tuesday - they couldn't promote it as much?

I didn't honestly expect the PB to be a front-cover thing...but if Best Buy is a preferred vendor, wouldn't part of that deal be decent advertising?
    04-17-11 07:05 AM
    04-17-11 07:18 AM
    The Staples flyer, in our Sunday paper, has a nice full front page ad for the Playbook. However, the ad kind of leads one to believe that you need a Blackberry device to use it. The ad is not clear that you do not, and I think that ads that do not make that clear will hurt sales in the long run.
    04-17-11 07:33 AM
    Retailers are going to promote what they think will sell the best. Right now they are all in wait and see mode, at best, on anything branded Blackberry (and rightfully so after the past couple of years).

The fact that RIM seems to be taking steps in the right direction to make their products more innovative is a great to see. But it is going to take more than a good effort for them to gain any sort of positive momentum. It will depend on how well RIM markets the Playbook and how consumers respond. As of now they are light years behind Apple. Can they make up the ground? Sure....but it isn't going to be easy and definitely won't happen overnight.
    04-17-11 07:48 AM
    FWIW, I stopped into a Best Buy this past Thursday, and they had a large "Playbook: Coming Soon" display poster board up. So at least that's something, I guess.
    04-17-11 08:05 AM
    I got to play with a playbook for a couple hours at my local best buy yesterday. The salesman highly reccomended it to 3 different people while I was there OVER the iPad2 and others. His phone was an android.
    I filled out a preorder and he said his computer told him the 24th. I asked about the 19th and he said they would call as soon as it got in. So we will see what happens.
    04-17-11 08:36 AM
    My Best Buy had a working unit in the Best Buy mobile section. I knew more about it than the kids working there, but that is to be expected. The associate said it had just come in that day. I asked if I could pre-order either the 32 or 64, because the sign had 16 only listed. They said I'd have to order them online because they were only getting in 16GB units. The demo was a 32 . Anyway after playing with the thing my decision was made and I came home and pre-ordered it because it is an amazing device.
    04-17-11 08:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD