Yes, a 13" or 15" screen and a keyboard.

I really don't know what the average office worker uses everyday, but I'm betting that a good portion just needs access to email, the web, Office, photoshop, and a database program.

All of these can be done by the Playbook with the database either by a real app or a webapp, and a QNX-compatible alternative to PhotoShop such as Pixel. So with a bigger screen workers can do this.

Basically this device would be a $200 connector that you simply connect your PlayBook to, and then you can work on everything on a much bigger screen.

the only things that it wouldn't be able to do is run proprietary or power hungry stuff, but that can be done by connecting to VMWare Server.

Hopefully this would have support for a trackpad or a mouse, as using it like a touchscreen would get old fast, but if it could o all this (and the PB can backup/restore your BB and connect to peripherals), this could almost replace the home computer for most people.
    Last edited by grahamf; 10-13-10 at 10:55 PM.
    10-13-10 10:44 PM
    Lenovo has already announced a forth coming Transformer device which can be used as either a tablet or a notebook.
    10-13-10 11:10 PM
    Lenovo has already announced a forth coming Transformer device which can be used as either a tablet or a notebook.
    But How much will it cost?

A PB would be about $600 I'm guessing and it's only about $175 for this screen thing (which is essentially a $600 15" laptop minus everything that makes it a laptop), while the Lenovo system is $2,000 and you can't leave the screen at work/home and just tote the smaller internals.
    10-13-10 11:19 PM
    Actually, something witha keyboard that it could dock into sideways would be pretty sweet. Hmm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-10 12:49 AM
    I would like to see an OtterBox Defender for the PlayBook like the iPad has.

iPad Defender Series Case // OtterBox.com
    10-14-10 01:39 AM
    I would like to see an OtterBox Defender for the PlayBook like the iPad has.

iPad Defender Series Case // OtterBox.com
    Forgive my deviation from OP's post for agreeing with this, but...YES! I saw this and I knew right away that I'd want one for my future PlayBook. I don't care if it makes it thicker. I'm going to be on the go and tossing the thing into my bag and don't want to risk any damage that might happen once inside.
    10-14-10 04:27 AM
    A wrist strap to keep from dropping it, LOL.
    10-14-10 10:18 AM
    OK, I've said this before in other posts, but the two things I need to be able to do that would completely seal the deal for me are:

1) Connect a portable document scanner that is powered via USB and will scan legal size documents.

2) Connect a portable printer either via USB or BT.

If they can make these two things happen I won't need to haul around my laptop.

On top of that, the next biggest thing for me would be to have a keyboard docking station, preferably one that has it's own battery pack so it can power the PlayBook while connected on the go. And it needs to be a smallish keyboard, but large enough to be useful. I think along the lines of a netbook sized KB would be ideal. I don't really need an external monitor and quite frankly, I think that would defeat the whole purpose. Once we go down that road then I may as well just save all that money and carry my laptop...lol!

Oh, one other thing that would be massively helpful. A way to access a standard SD card so that I can upload photos to it from my good camera.

Basically, I need this thing to be business oriented. I'm not looking for a toy!
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 10-14-10 at 05:06 PM.
    10-14-10 05:04 PM
    Yeah, they announced the IdeaPad U1 at CES back in January. They said it was supposed to be launched during the second half of 2010 but I haven't heard any more about it.

The hardware protoype was pretty cool, but has some issues with the interface. I don't know if they've run into problems or what.

The price point was supposed to be $999 but the longer they wait the lower they'll have to position it.

10-14-10 11:39 PM
    I've got a better idea:
    Just a display and a keyboard.
    The Playbook's screen will essentially become a big trackpad with gesture support, with one side dedicated to shortcut icons which can be expanded for more options.
    10-15-10 10:29 PM
    OK, I've said this before in other posts, but the two things I need to be able to do that would completely seal the deal for me are:

1) Connect a portable document scanner that is powered via USB and will scan legal size documents.

2) Connect a portable printer either via USB or BT.

If they can make these two things happen I won't need to haul around my laptop.

On top of that, the next biggest thing for me would be to have a keyboard docking station, preferably one that has it's own battery pack so it can power the PlayBook while connected on the go. And it needs to be a smallish keyboard, but large enough to be useful. I think along the lines of a netbook sized KB would be ideal. I don't really need an external monitor and quite frankly, I think that would defeat the whole purpose. Once we go down that road then I may as well just save all that money and carry my laptop...lol!

Oh, one other thing that would be massively helpful. A way to access a standard SD card so that I can upload photos to it from my good camera.

Basically, I need this thing to be business oriented. I'm not looking for a toy!
    Wouldn't a wand type of scanner be useful for you? One that would store the image for download latter?

10-16-10 04:43 PM
    I want to see what kind of dock RIM is going to have for it.

10-17-10 01:08 PM
    I just want a slim folding bluetooth keyboard.
    10-17-10 08:31 PM
    Why did you show a picture of a laptop and talk about the accessory for the playbook? An example or what..?
    10-17-10 09:16 PM
    Why did you show a picture of a laptop and talk about the accessory for the playbook? An example or what..?
    a bigger display and a full-size keyboard.
    10-18-10 02:03 PM
    Toughbook 19 Rugged Tablet PC - Panasonic Toughbook 19 Convertible Laptop

These have been out for years. Why carry some ridiculous, crippled little pad? Am I missing something here? What, exactly, is the allure of these iPad/Playbook/etc tablets? Because it fits in your man purse? What?
    10-19-10 10:17 AM
    Toughbook 19 Rugged Tablet PC - Panasonic Toughbook 19 Convertible Laptop

These have been out for years. Why carry some ridiculous, crippled little pad? Am I missing something here? What, exactly, is the allure of these iPad/Playbook/etc tablets? Because it fits in your man purse? What?
    Because you can always have it on you. You can use it by itself when you're out, then drop it into a dock at home/work for a bigger screen and keyboard; letting you be much more productive.

Also: Cargo Pants.
    10-19-10 11:03 AM
    Basically this is my idea:

You have your PlayBook with you almost all the time, weather or not in your big-a** Jeans pocket or in your sweater or anywhere. You can use it's smaller screen to d most of your on-the-go productivity.

when you're at work, you plug in into it's dock. this connects it to a bigger screen and keyboard, and then you can do all of your Word, Excel, database, medium-duty photoshop, programming (compiling is outsourced to the company servers), etc on a much bigger workspace.

When you go home you connect it to a dock by your TV. this allows you to watch all of your shows and listen to your music with a better experience.

The problem is QNX is a touchscreen OS. Sure your workspace could use a tablet display like this but TVs and other methods would be using a non-touch display. This could be bypassed by using a BB-style trackpad in the middle of the full-size keyboard, or by using the PlayBook's screen as a giant trackpad (with one side probably set aside for shortcuts).
    10-19-10 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD