Are Beats even that great? Or are they another fad that caught on by advertising and word of mouth, so now we're left with headphones that are praised like iWhatevers?

I've noticed kids like Beats headphones. But as a status thing - similar to the way people are mindlessly infatuated with iDevices. (this isn't troll-bait, as there are people who have valid reasons for what they choose and the comparison is based on people who SAY they have reason, but yet they don't).

EDIT: and being a fan of quality, I don't think one could ever compare these things to ANYTHING from Harman-Kardon. Just because headphones were heavily endorsed by a has-been, sellout producer who literally carried a TERRIRBLE white rapper to fame doesn't mean they're even remotely good.
    Last edited by joski; 05-06-12 at 09:28 AM.
    05-06-12 09:25 AM
    I would really love to see a playbook or and a bb10 phone come with beats audio does anybody else think his would be a good idea
    If you ask me, the audio on the PlayBook is pretty damn awesome already. I have a TouchPad, which has Beats Audio, and I think the PlayBook actually sounds better (in part because there is a sound bug that creates a "blown out speakers" effect in webOS 3.0.5 that requires a reboot to eliminate).
    Last edited by CHIP72; 05-06-12 at 09:36 AM.
    joski likes this.
    05-06-12 09:33 AM
    Well, another exclusive the PlayBook has besides Bridge...the PB has reference monitors, not cheap itty bitty speakers like everyone else. What are reference monitors you ask...well I'm glad you're curious....

The loudspeakers used in the PlayBook are designed to give a near perfect and accurate reproduction of the source audio with virtually zero distortion; in laymen's terms, what you hear in real life will be reproduced by a reference monitor, with no emphasis or de-emphasis within the 20Hz to 20kHz range.

So, there you have it, in a micro-nutshell; I could go on, but I'm too busy listening to Rachmaninoff on my PB....it sounds like I'm in Albert Hall.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 05-06-12 at 09:38 AM.
    Just Me likes this.
    05-06-12 09:36 AM
    Well said..

the poster above who said "QNX is a leader in sound technology" is severely misinformed/lacking knowledge..I asked the other day and a CB user told me that they thought RIM used a Dolby speaker in the PB - don't know whether that's true or not - but, RIM should keep it a secret somehow exactly what they use to keep a leg up on everyone else b/c I've never heard speakers on a phone/tab sound so buttery smooth..

And - back to the original point I wanted to make - "Beats by Dre" is nothing more than a marketing gimmick to grab those un/misinformed masses who respond well to brand/celebrity naming..genius, really - b/c it works..BUT - proof is in the pudding, though..several users in this forum have already stated they have had other devices labeled "Beats by Dre" that have not had the same quality output as the PB - and I agree..not to mention that is with no tweaking, etc..it can't really be any more plain and simple than that..
    Severely misinformed? Misinformed would sufice. Unfortunately the statement is severely untrue. QNX Aviage Acoustic Processing Suite

Yes RIM pays Dolby licencing fees for the playbook. The reason behind this is unclear and was not made public. I have been in impressed by the sound coming from Beats branded head phones and speakers. RIM should not underestimate the power of a brand name for their audio configurations.
    05-06-12 10:05 AM
    I would love to see if but it will NEVER happen.
    05-06-12 10:13 AM
    Totally overrated. Rather have:

Harman Kardon or Bang & Olufsen.
    Audio is not an easy element to perfect. Unique surroundings play such a huge role in the final product. Audi offered a Bang & Olufsen upgrade to their Q5 and Q7 to their QNX driven MMI infotainment system. While the sound was decent it did not produce the volume and richness the owners were looking for. Ironically some preferred the system without the Bang & Olufsen upgrade. Ive heard some pretty amazing B&O systems, this result surprised me.
    05-06-12 10:28 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD