I am aware that these dev devices were issued without the phone part working but can someone who has one tell me if there is a docking/cradle port on the device? It seems RIM has eschewed this important feature on its mobile devices for some odd reason. In my opinion RIM should not only focus on the Enterprise/Security aspects of the next generation of devices, but also look at a little added consumer functionality. I'd love to dock my Next gen BB into a Boombox Dock and play the 20GBs of songs I have on my SDHC card. Great for picnics and other outdoor events.

From RIM's standpoint look at all of the accessories they could capitalize on.
    Just a thought.
    05-28-12 10:45 AM
    Considering that these devices are only for dev testing and is not a representation of the upcoming BB10 phones, your comments OP are moot. Sorry.

I get the requirements you need, for the new BB10 device to work for you, but at the moment you, like the rest of us, know nothing aside from that it is coming.

Just be patient and let the Dev's with their new alpha devices do their thing to make BB10 Rock and Rollin'!
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-28-12 10:56 AM
    Actually my point is NOT moot. I was asking specifically about the Dev Device. I went on to only HOPE about future devices.
    05-28-12 11:01 AM
    The device isn't finished. Aesthetically at least, so inside there may be the dock terminals.

On RIM's up and coming flagship I'd say it must have that feature.
    05-28-12 11:17 AM
    Actually my point is NOT moot. I was asking specifically about the Dev Device. I went on to only HOPE about future devices.
    Really? are you serious?......sigh....ok here we go.

"In my opinion" does not sound like "HOPE" to me.
    Making a rant on how RIM should think more about the customer instead of just enterprise also doesn't imply a sense of "I HOPE" so please don't.

Also a simple google search would show you all the angles of the dev device.
    Best New Cell Phones Reviews, News, Specs and Info � More BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha Cell Phone Live Photos

So yes it has a USB/charger port as well as HMDI port too.

There's the answer to your "thought".

HOPE that helps.
    05-28-12 11:36 AM
    I am aware that these dev devices were issued without the phone part working but can someone who has one tell me if there is a docking/cradle port on the device? It seems RIM has eschewed this important feature on its mobile devices for some odd reason. In my opinion RIM should not only focus on the Enterprise/Security aspects of the next generation of devices, but also look at a little added consumer functionality. I'd love to dock my Next gen BB into a Boombox Dock and play the 20GBs of songs I have on my SDHC card. Great for picnics and other outdoor events.

From RIM's standpoint look at all of the accessories they could capitalize on.
    Just a thought.
    Hi mkelly65:

All BlackBerrys come with a special docking port for outputting audio. It's called a headphone jack. :P

All kidding aside, if you are looking for a next-generation interface for connecting your BB10 device to your audio system(s), why not the BlackBerry Music Gateway? There's plenty of good reviews on the old one and the new one is pretty cool with the NFC functionality. As far as I can see, it will do everything a "dock" might allow you to do.

http://crackberry.com/tags/blackberry-music-gateway

Cheers,
    05-28-12 12:18 PM
    I wonder if NFC can provide for transmission of audio. Instead of "jamming" a device onto a propriety dock, you could drop your device in a tray. Could be a game-changer!

Let's rock and roll this!
    05-28-12 02:07 PM
    Hopefully it won't be much longer for these "Boombox" makers to fully take on Bluetooth. That way there is NO propietery adapters required.
    05-28-12 03:47 PM
    The new Music Gateway uses NFC to perform Bluetooth pairing after that it is BT that performs the connectivity.

As far as old school docks go most require a proprietary connector which is fading away. The EU has decreed the micro usb to be their standard. Since all BB phones have that it is a matter of OS capability and drivers or Bluetooth.
    05-28-12 05:54 PM
    The DevDevice hardware is NOT end device hardware so speculation of docking ports is moot for BB10 as a platform, and isn't the case for the DevAlpha as it isn't a production release device.

That said RIM is hedging it's bets on NFC, so in the future devices for "Docking" will most likely just be MicroUSB, or MicroHDMI or Both with NFC for software connections, "Bridging" will be the way RIM will want BlackBerry devices to interact with eachother, not some hardwired Dock port that they will be locked into supporting if it gets popular
    jafobabe and Harryl6134 like this.
    05-28-12 06:06 PM
    In this day and age, I doubt anyone else other than Apple would use proprietary docks.

BlueTooth and USB APIs are supposed to be coming to the devs over the next few months. There would be no need for proprietary docks for BB10.
    05-28-12 06:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD