Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BBM for PlayBook?

Not too sure if this was raised earlier, Now that BBM is soo close to launch on IOS and Andriod, can Blackberry develop BBM app for Playbook after its launch on other app stores. With bit of guessing work and knowing iDevices or Andriod devices have no PIN to tie to all that, what will be used is BlackberryID. If Blackberry themselves are not in a position to make their OWN app available to their devices (Playbook), on top of it they are busy launching THE Messaging app on other APP stores, not to mention the App has been in review since 3 weeks - how is the expectation justified that App Developers will come and develop apps of BlackBerry 10 or BB appworld?

Once again we are not asking BB 10 on Playbook, we are asking BBM Application on playbook. Bridge is anyhow broken on BB10. Atleast get us native BBM App.

~Pavan
    boliver101 and jkomo001 like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,236 Global Posts
    PIN
    24CA5D48 PB pin 502763C8

I have just bit the bullet and purchased a Nexus 7 v2, 2 days ago. The PlayBook has a far superior build quality, display and cameras. Unfortunately it is let down by the OS, BlackBerry and the lack of apps. The difference between the Nexus and the PlayBook in terms of speed and fluidity is like night and day. The 2gb of ram makes a significant difference with the Nexus. Although this is the first Android device I have owned I find it very frustrating to use, keep swiping lol. And when BBM comes to Android I will have the best of both worlds.
    It is such a shame that BlackBerry have almost abandoned the PlayBook and its user base. It could of, and should have been the best tablet out there.
    9300, 9900, Z10, Z30 . PlayBook 64GB. Nexus 7 v2 Kit Kat
    F2 and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Of course they could make BBM for PlayBook, they always could have. The thing is they haven't and aren't going to.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    Thanked by:
    BB_Bmore (09-12-2013) 
    KOOLWATER and Chrysalis1156 like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts

Is there any technical reason why a suitably competant (3rd party) developer coudn't write a BBM client for the Playbook,or does it require access to information (encryption etc) that isn't in the public domain?
    I have no experience of writing apps for the Playbook (or any small device) but I can't imagine that a basic client would be massively complicate to write...(?) Maybe someone can prove me wrong, (or far, far better, prove me right!)
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMay View Post
    Is there any technical reason why a suitably competant (3rd party) developer coudn't write a BBM client for the Playbook,or does it require access to information (encryption etc) that isn't in the public domain?
    I have no experience of writing apps for the Playbook (or any small device) but I can't imagine that a basic client would be massively complicate to write...(?) Maybe someone can prove me wrong, (or far, far better, prove me right!)
    Third parties can't access the BBM server presumably. If they could, third party clients would have been available on all platforms years ago.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    Third parties can't access the BBM server presumably. If they could, third party clients would have been available on all platforms years ago.
    Fair point, I just wondered if things had changed, now that BBM is being made available on iOS and Android...
    CrackBerry Master

Of course they could make BBM for PlayBook, they always could have. The thing is they haven't and aren't going to.
    The truth has been spoken.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,856 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

Quote Originally Posted by mr.pavan View Post
    Not too sure if this was raised earlier, Now that BBM is soo close to launch on IOS and Andriod, can Blackberry develop BBM app for Playbook after its launch on other app stores. With bit of guessing work and knowing iDevices or Andriod devices have no PIN to tie to all that, what will be used is BlackberryID. If Blackberry themselves are not in a position to make their OWN app available to their devices (Playbook), on top of it they are busy launching THE Messaging app on other APP stores, not to mention the App has been in review since 3 weeks - how is the expectation justified that App Developers will come and develop apps of BlackBerry 10 or BB appworld?

Once again we are not asking BB 10 on Playbook, we are asking BBM Application on playbook. Bridge is anyhow broken on BB10. Atleast get us native BBM App.

~Pavan
    If they were going to do it one would think it would have happened already.

Sent from my HTC One running PlayBook 3.0
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    CrackBerry Master

Fair point, I just wondered if things had changed, now that BBM is being made available on iOS and Android...
    Still made by BlackBerry though, they're not exposing public APIs or whatever for third parties to develop clients.

It is perhaps vaguely possible that the Android app could be reverse engineered (not sure how hard it is to reverse traditional BlackBerry apps, only have experience with PB apps; but as I understand it, traditional BB apps were Java, so probably not overly hard to RE i.e. if BBM were going to be RE'd, it would have been already).
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts

Still made by BlackBerry though, they're not exposing public APIs or whatever for third parties to develop clients.

It is perhaps vaguely possible that the Android app could be reverse engineered (not sure how hard it is to reverse traditional BlackBerry apps, only have experience with PB apps; but as I understand it, traditional BB apps were Java, so probably not overly hard to RE i.e. if BBM were going to be RE'd, it would have been already).
    Ahh,

I didn't realise that. So Blackberry wrote the clients for iOS and Android(?)
    In that case, I guess you're right, and the inner workings are not available for 3rd part developers.
    Shame
    CrackBerry Master

Ahh,

I didn't realise that. So Blackberry wrote the clients for iOS and Android(?)
    In that case, I guess you're right, and the inner workings are not available for 3rd part developers.
    Shame
    Yeah, BlackBerry have written the clients for iOS and Android.
    CrackBerry Genius

Yeah, BlackBerry have written the clients for iOS and Android.
    Maybe one day they can try to write one for their own device
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
    jkomo001 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Quote Originally Posted by Cynycl View Post
    Maybe one day they can try to write one for their own device
    Call me naive, perhaps no BB10 for playbook or major OS update. If they can't return the full functionality of bridge to the BB10 devices. I think creating a BBM apps for the playbook is not that far fetch. Who knows maybe the recent update is more laying groundwork for BBM or full bridge and I'm sober!
    Cynycl likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    687 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B60AA67

I can't wait for BBM to come out on Android devices. My sinister plan is to side load it onto my Playbook. Mwuhahahahahaha!!!
    Keith. I HEART BLACKBERRY! Z30, Playbook16GB & 32GB, Z10, 9930 - Bold, 9550 - Storm2, 9530 - Storm, 8310 - Curve, 8100 - Pearl, 8700, 7230, 7100 PIN:2B6BDE85
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by kthhrrsn View Post
    I can't wait for BBM to come out on Android devices. My sinister plan is to side load it onto my Playbook. Mwuhahahahahaha!!!
    When it was first announced it was said that it would require Android 4.0+. The PB's Android runtime is based on Android 2.3. Unfortunately, it's probably not even going to work sideloaded. Sorry to "burst your bubble".
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    687 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B60AA67

When it was first announced it was said that it would require Android 4.0+. The PB's Android runtime is based on Android 2.3. Unfortunately, it's probably not even going to work sideloaded. Sorry to "burst your bubble".
    That would suck. I've been meaning to try the leaked Android Runtime on the PlayBook. If that works, I'm in business.

Keith H. Posted via CB10
    Keith. I HEART BLACKBERRY! Z30, Playbook16GB & 32GB, Z10, 9930 - Bold, 9550 - Storm2, 9530 - Storm, 8310 - Curve, 8100 - Pearl, 8700, 7230, 7100 PIN:2B6BDE85
    CrackBerry Abuser

That would suck. I've been meaning to try the leaked Android Runtime on the PlayBook. If that works, I'm in business.

Keith H. Posted via CB10
    What leaked android runtime? Do you mean trying it on a alpha version of bb10?
    CrackBerry Master

The leaked version requires BB10, it'll refuse to install on any OS below 10.X (could be 10.1.X or 10.2.X, not sure) [X is whatever build number]. So it won't work, unfortunately. (If it did, we'd be able to use native code in Android apps as well, meaning we'd be able to get stuff like Netflix, Instagram, Skype etc. to work).
    Thanked by:
    CJH_ (09-15-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

We relentlessly pester other devs to develop apps for our BB10 devices and playbook. Skype, instagram, netflix and the list goes on and on. We even blame BB for not bringing these apps to us. Many have explained away that it's the devs and there's nothing BB can do about it. Well now BBM is going cross platform, there should be no excuse. Not EOL, not lack of dev. The foundation of the app is there, if it's available just about any platform, there's zero excuse it will cost that much more time and money to have a version for the playbook. I do not believe for a second when this tablet was develop more than two years ago the company did not conceive the idea of it without BBM.
    blueberrymerry and Aek29 like this.
    Resident CrackBerry Wizard

Global Posts
    15,007 Global Posts

BlackBerry Bridge will get full functionality for BB10/PlayBook so maybe that's why there isn't a Native PB client from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Posted from my awesome QNX powered Q10 or my penguin powered laptop

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by CJH_ View Post
    BlackBerry Bridge will get full functionality for BB10/PlayBook so maybe that's why there isn't a Native PB client from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Pb have pin,right? Why dont they just make a native,full fuction bbm for playbook,connect using wifi or tethe.

Global Posts
    15,007 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toronto9696 View Post
    Pb have pin,right? Why dont they just make a native,full fuction bbm for playbook,connect using wifi or tethe.
    Haven't a clue as to why there's no native BBM for PB.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    Is this written in stone, blood, ink or pixels somewhere? I've not seen a citation or reference.

Global Posts
    15,007 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    Is this written in stone, blood, ink or pixels somewhere? I've not seen a citation or reference.
    Several BlackBerry execs have tweeted hints and teases.

Several BlackBerry execs have tweeted hints and teases.
    They don't always have the best track record .

Generally speaking, if they hint about it. And it's a surprise to us close to BBRY. It usually ends up being selective believery. That's right. I made up believery.

Posted via CB from my LE
    F2 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast