And lot of talk about BBM coming to the Playbook, I don't see it happening because BBM works on the carrier network, how do you go about getting BBM to work on WiFi, it won't work. I have heard that BBM works on WiFi, but what I have see since selling RIM products is that customers come from overseas and BBM works BUT the moment they take out their SIM BBM stops working, Most of them will say BBM works on WiFi but that's not the case, to me it seems like BBM is working because some how your still have the service books but the moment u replace the SIM and then try putting it back BBM will no longer work, lost service books and can't get them back because you are no longer in your country. I have seen this happen 30+ times living in South Florida. So BBM on the WiFi Playbook can't happen, please correct me if am wrong.
    10-25-12 08:18 PM
    BBM works fine on wifi. Currently you do have to have the device registered with a cell carrier also so you have a BIS account. But you can disable the network and just connect to wifi and BBM and other services like the browser and facebook work fine
    10-25-12 08:21 PM
    Well this is part of the bb10 mystery. Apparently there are dev alpha devices running bbm without BIS.
    10-25-12 08:49 PM
    And lot of talk about BBM coming to the Playbook, I don't see it happening because BBM works on the carrier network, how do you go about getting BBM to work on WiFi, it won't work. I have heard that BBM works on WiFi, but what I have see since selling RIM products is that customers come from overseas and BBM works BUT the moment they take out their SIM BBM stops working, Most of them will say BBM works on WiFi but that's not the case, to me it seems like BBM is working because some how your still have the service books but the moment u replace the SIM and then try putting it back BBM will no longer work, lost service books and can't get them back because you are no longer in your country. I have seen this happen 30+ times living in South Florida. So BBM on the WiFi Playbook can't happen, please correct me if am wrong.
    Consider yourself corrected. You are wrong. Works fine on the Dev Alpha without any carrier plan having ever even touched the device. Whatever trickery RIM did on the back end will filter over to the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    howarmat and bungaboy like this.
    10-25-12 08:59 PM
    BBM On PlayBook?-img_00000139.jpg I'm willing to bet it's on Playbook wifi internally for a reason. I'm also willing to bet it's still in beta internally and we will get it when it's time.
    10-25-12 09:07 PM
    Consider yourself corrected. You are wrong. Works fine on the Dev Alpha without any carrier plan having ever even touched the device. Whatever trickery RIM did on the back end will filter over to the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    The question is... How does it do this. Thats my biggest unanswered question from bb jam you guys went to.
    10-25-12 09:58 PM
    I don't consider myself wrong as u stated u had a dev alpha, I did not mention the dev. Maybe RIM did something like u said on the back end but back in the day it did not work, I consider myself one of the very few that has seen this problem over and over, the average BB user uses his own device however I have worked daily with international customers coming in and out and get to see this issue first hand, because you only get one try arriving in another country. To try and test it means u have to leave ur country with it working and land in another and give it a shot, No body can really test it without flying, I however seen tourists on a daily basis coming into the store saying BBM works but stopped when I took out the SIM. Again I'm speaking from a lot of experience. But I do agree Blaze that they did change it somewhere down the road, but I worked with RIM and they could not even give me an answer, I came up with it on my own lol
    Last edited by Jonathank; 10-26-12 at 11:37 AM. Reason: No finished editing
    10-26-12 11:33 AM
    The question is... How does it do this. Thats my biggest unanswered question from bb jam you guys went to.
    Its not that complicated really, tons of apps do what BBM does without requiring some ridiculous subscription plan. The only real challenge was probably working their way out of their old architecture without breaking anything for existing users.
    10-27-12 04:23 AM