I pulled out my 64gb playbook and dumbed a bunch of cartoons on it for my kid to watch in the car. Before the trip the PB had run out of juice thinking nothing of it I brought a 2 amp car charger to charge along the way but the battery was never charged. When I got to an outlet I used a generic samsung charger and although the unit would power on it would not charge the battery. Fearing the worse I assumed the battery was gone but when I brought it home and plugged the PB into its cradle it charged to 100% and appears to be working fine now. Just wondering if PBs need a high amp charger to change or if this is a sign of my battery failing.
    05-25-16 01:05 AM
    Ive never been able to charge the PB with anything but the charger it came with.
    05-25-16 05:23 AM
    I have had three PB. The first one I purchased at launch. About two months in the USB port in regrads to charging went bad and I could no longer charge the device with it. I was then relegated to charging via the cradle after that. I subsequently experienced the same thing in one of the other PB I had as well. I feel as though there is some flaw in the USB charging capabilites on the PB.
    05-25-16 08:33 AM
    I pulled out my 64gb playbook and dumbed a bunch of cartoons on it for my kid to watch in the car. Before the trip the PB had run out of juice thinking nothing of it I brought a 2 amp car charger to charge along the way but the battery was never charged. When I got to an outlet I used a generic samsung charger and although the unit would power on it would not charge the battery. Fearing the worse I assumed the battery was gone but when I brought it home and plugged the PB into its cradle it charged to 100% and appears to be working fine now. Just wondering if PBs need a high amp charger to change or if this is a sign of my battery failing.
    That 2 amp charger should have worked fine as the Playbook travel charger is 1.8 amp (and charging Pod is 2 amp output). I would suspect the micro usb port as being faulty which is a common complaint with the Playbook. You say you "plugged the PB into its cradle it charged to 100%". Does that mean that you use the Playbook Charging Pod? Contrary to popular belief, even a Z10 charger WILL charge the Playbook, but it does so very, very slowly and NO lightning bolt will be seen across the battery. I have fully charged my Playbook overnight with a spare Z10 charger. You could have a faulty micro usb port (which is common with the Playbook), or perhaps that 2 amp charger is faulty or the usb cable itself. Your samsung charger was probably charging the Playbook but it would not show that (just as the Z10 charger). Although the battery is getting up there, it is probably ok for now.
    05-25-16 08:57 AM
    That 2 amp charger should have worked fine as the Playbook travel charger is 1.8 amp (and charging Pod is 2 amp output). I would suspect the micro usb port as being faulty which is a common complaint with the Playbook. You say you "plugged the PB into its cradle it charged to 100%". Does that mean that you use the Playbook Charging Pod? Contrary to popular belief, even a Z10 charger WILL charge the Playbook, but it does so very, very slowly and NO lightning bolt will be seen across the battery. I have fully charged my Playbook overnight with a spare Z10 charger. You could have a faulty micro usb port (which is common with the Playbook), or perhaps that 2 amp charger is faulty or the usb cable itself. Your samsung charger was probably charging the Playbook but it would not show that (just as the Z10 charger). Although the battery is getting up there, it is probably ok for now.
    The PB was showing a 0% battery but was able to turn on while plugged into micro USB cable/charger. I have lots of them around and made sure I was using one that worked. My PB micro USB charger that came with the unit (I think 1.8 amp) no longer works and I think the cable for it is broken somewhere so I can't test that.

The "cradle" I'm talking about is that magnetic charger stand (oem) so it's not USB. It was clearly getting power with the USB from how lights flash when you first plug it in and it was able to turn on but it just wasn't indicating it was charging.

I will play around with it and maybe you're right that it is a very slow charge. Now that it is fully charged it seems to be working fine. If it is a faulty USB I will have to use the cradle to charge or find some travel charger that will do the same using the magnetic port. I'm not sure but it looks like this product (link below) is that cause the plug doesn't look like USB. If that's the case I just buy that.

https://www.amazon.ca/BlackBerry-Cha...UvbUpU12445219

I will say I can no longer use this PB to transfer content from link or desktop software. It detects it but never is able to connect and always says to factory restore (which I have) to get it working. Maybe these problems are related?
    05-25-16 10:58 AM
    I will say I can no longer use this PB to transfer content from link or desktop software. It detects it but never is able to connect and always says to factory restore (which I have) to get it working. Maybe these problems are related?

I will play around with it and maybe you're right that it is a very slow charge. Now that it is fully charged it seems to be working fine. If it is a faulty USB I will have to use the cradle to charge or find some travel charger that will do the same using the magnetic port. I'm not sure but it looks like this product (link below) is that cause the plug doesn't look like USB.
    Yep-sounds good. Just note your % charge before you go to bed, plug it into a known good usb charger of some sort (750 mA or above) and check in the morning. If the Playbook has lost charge then your usb port is damaged. Sounds to me like that is the case and you will have to use your cradle. The problem with the desktop software or BBLink also adds to that assertion.
    05-25-16 11:24 AM