As the title says, does anyone expect the release of BBM for the Playbook by the end of the year?

I've just got my Playbook through the developer contest and I don't have a BlackBerry smartphone any more, but I truly miss BBM.
    03-31-12 10:16 AM
    Correct me if I am wrong, but, isn't the point of BBM to be instant chat over BB server? How would it work over wifi and not go thru BB servers? Wouldn't that be more something like ICQ or gmail chat? Just trying to figure it out.
    03-31-12 10:27 AM
    I'm pretty sure you can use just WiFi for BBM, uses a similar delivery process for messages.

I don't really care about the security element of it, I just care that I can't easily message people I know.
    03-31-12 10:30 AM
    I have a feeling when bbm is made available first round the pb it would only be available for the 4G versions coming out later since they will have a data plan.
    This is just a guess on my part though.
    03-31-12 10:39 AM
    I wouldn't hold my breath. You will absolutely be waiting for a while...especially with the mix up in upper management and Rim's long track record of perpetual delays.
    03-31-12 11:45 AM
    I wouldn't hold my breath. You will absolutely be waiting for a while...especially with the mix up in upper management and Rim's long track record of perpetual delays.
    Well that plus they are more concerned about bug fixes and language packs than adding features, even ones promised long ago.
    03-31-12 02:30 PM
    I'm pretty sure you can use just WiFi for BBM, uses a similar delivery process for messages.

I don't really care about the security element of it, I just care that I can't easily message people I know.
    I think part of the holdup is figuring out how to charge for the BBM service. Currently, it is charged through your cellular account. Perhaps they will introduce a BIS/BES service for the 4G PlayBooks, activated on a cellular account.

I suppose they could offer a free ad sponsored BBM for wifi only devices. Somebody has to pay for the NOQ.
    03-31-12 03:23 PM
    I hope they don't offer a wifi only bbm account. It would dilute the service sending messages to people who are not connected all the time like they are through cell services with blackberry phones would leave messages undelivered at times until that person connects to another wifi network. It would cause too many problems. Keep bbm for network connected devices with bis accounts.
    03-31-12 03:45 PM
    I hope they don't offer a wifi only bbm account. It would dilute the service sending messages to people who are not connected all the time like they are through cell services with blackberry phones would leave messages undelivered at times until that person connects to another wifi network. It would cause too many problems. Keep bbm for network connected devices with bis accounts.
    I'd say that's pretty silly. The same happens to phones that are off. There is a queue, but it would empty itself after a few hours. That's a non-issue.
    03-31-12 03:55 PM
    Yes, I expect it will come with the BB10 update.
    03-31-12 04:04 PM
    Never thought of the revenue model/problem. Could it be that 1st gen PB's will never get BBM, and 2nd gen will need cellular data to activate it?

Uh oh.
    03-31-12 07:46 PM
    Never thought of the revenue model/problem. Could it be that 1st gen PB's will never get BBM, and 2nd gen will need cellular data to activate it?

Uh oh.
    I have BBM on my plabook! I bridge my playbook with my bold 9900. Works great!

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-3
    03-31-12 08:03 PM

Yea. No groups, file transfers, shared pics.... None of the real features that make bbm popular.
    03-31-12 10:36 PM

Having a bridged app is not having the app, if you can't use bbm on the playbook without a bb phone, then the playbook doesn't have bbm. End of story.
    03-31-12 10:42 PM
    I want my, I want my, I want my BBM. Really Want BBM groups!
    03-31-12 11:02 PM
    I do believe that bbm on the pb will coincide with the release of os 10 phones, but the major question is when will we see those phones hitting the market? It honestly could be 2013 before we see these phone in stores and thus bbm on the pb. Geez...thinking about this stuff is depressing...Best to not think of it so that time will pass faster.. Oh well, we are rooting for you rim!
    04-01-12 02:10 AM
    If BBM never happens in current PB, that will show RIMM big lie since they ever said BBM would be part of subsequent update
    04-10-12 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD