Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default bbm bridge often force close when multiwindows acter 2.1 update

I found my bbm overbridge oftenly closed by it self when I open multiwindows and especially when the other window is also a native app like browser or appworld... anyone experiencing this too?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,435 Global Posts

Default Re: bbm bridge often force close when multiwindows acter 2.1 update

Since this last 2.1 update, I'm experiencing all kinds of problems and it's VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!. My browser closes constantly is extremely slow and has excessive "checkerboarding", my keypad hesitates and even gets "stuck" from time to time, the overall performance is just plain SAD!! YES, I have done all the necessary steps trying to correct these problems and nothing seems to work. I've had my PlayBook since May 2011 and this is the first update that has rendered my PlayBook almost unusable.......this is VERY DISAPPOINTING. It's becoming increasingly difficult to keep faith in anything RIM

Quote Originally Posted by malingering View Post
    I found my bbm overbridge oftenly closed by it self when I open multiwindows and especially when the other window is also a native app like browser or appworld... anyone experiencing this too?
    I'm having a similar problem since upgrading to 2.1, but only when one of the open apps is BBM bridge. I have a case open with RIM support now trying to sort through it. BBM running by itself is fine; but what I've found is that when BBM is open with any other app running, something sucks down free memory until there's only enough remaining for one app to run, and whatever is in the background closes. I watch the free memory drop in About > Hardware -- it goes from 585 mb free to 29 mb in about 15-20 seconds. I can have any other multiple apps open and this doesn't happen; it's only with BBM. I've done a clean reload of the OS twice since upgrading, and the issue continues, even on a clean install. Aside from that, the thing is running great.

RIM support says they haven't seen this before. They're examining log files from both the phone and PB. I even sent them a backup from my phone that they will restore on one of their test phones to try to recreate it. I've been asking around the boards and the BB Support forum, and until now no one else has had a similar problem. So I'm somewhat relieved that it isn't just me; if more people have the problem, there's a better chance they can get to the root of it and fix it.
    Ed

Ursus moderatus levisomnus.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    Since this last 2.1 update, I'm experiencing all kinds of problems and it's VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!. My browser closes constantly is extremely slow and has excessive "checkerboarding", my keypad hesitates and even gets "stuck" from time to time, the overall performance is just plain SAD!! YES, I have done all the necessary steps trying to correct these problems and nothing seems to work. I've had my PlayBook since May 2011 and this is the first update that has rendered my PlayBook almost unusable.......this is VERY DISAPPOINTING. It's becoming increasingly difficult to keep faith in anything RIM
    My browser has been mostly stable, except for the CB forums. This site seems to be very javascript-heavy. If I disable javascripting, the browser flies. Otherwise it checkerboards like a sumbitch, but mainly just here on this site. Most other sites are fine. Unfortunately this is where I do most of my browsing on the PB.

Edit: Since it was updated, this site is slower even on my desktop browser. So that oughtta tell you something.
    Ed

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by sleepngbear View Post
    I'm having a similar problem since upgrading to 2.1, but only when one of the open apps is BBM bridge. I have a case open with RIM support now trying to sort through it. BBM running by itself is fine; but what I've found is that when BBM is open with any other app running, something sucks down free memory until there's only enough remaining for one app to run, and whatever is in the background closes. I watch the free memory drop in About > Hardware -- it goes from 585 mb free to 29 mb in about 15-20 seconds. I can have any other multiple apps open and this doesn't happen; it's only with BBM. I've done a clean reload of the OS twice since upgrading, and the issue continues, even on a clean install. Aside from that, the thing is running great.

RIM support says they haven't seen this before. They're examining log files from both the phone and PB. I even sent them a backup from my phone that they will restore on one of their test phones to try to recreate it. I've been asking around the boards and the BB Support forum, and until now no one else has had a similar problem. So I'm somewhat relieved that it isn't just me; if more people have the problem, there's a better chance they can get to the root of it and fix it.
    yes.. I'm so agree... it seems the bbm bridge makes the pb ran out of ram memory so the other app in the background is forced close... and also when I swipe up my bbm window the white background became black colored..
    Actually overall performance of this update is good... it is more speedy including the web browser.. but about the android app.. sometimes it load so long.. only showed the bb logo... but if I close it and open it again then it could open in the normal loading time.. dunno why...
    I hope you will get a good answer from rim soon... coz I oftenly use my bbm bridge while opening other tabs too... so this bug is quite annoying for me...
    Last edited by malingering; 10-23-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by malingering View Post
    yes.. I'm so agree... it seems the bbm bridge makes the pb ran out of ram memory so the other app in the background is forced close... and also when I swipe up my bbm window the white background became black colored..
    Yes, this happens to me as well. You should call BB support.
    Ed

CrackBerry Abuser

I am experiencing all of the above issues - BBM chewing up RAM (500 down to 26 mb in a second), and I am also noting that when I put BBM into the background, or carousel, the background of the contact list turns from white to black until I reselect BBM

Has anyone come across any updates or response from BlackBerry?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

then the bug is real... :what: I hope we will get these things out of our PB soon... probably by next update?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

I was experiencing the same, but it seems to have sorted itself for some reason.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Exclamation Re: bbm bridge often force close when multiwindows acter 2.1 update

Update:

RIM support has informed me that they have identified the problem, but no solution just yet:

We have identified the issue with memory use when Bridge BBM is open on the PlayBook. Now that it has been identified we will be working to resolve it as soon as possible for a future update of the PlayBook OS.

In the mean time you will have to use the following three workarounds similar to what you have been doing.

• Maximize BlackBerry Bridge BBM to be the active application to free up memory on the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet.
    • Close BlackBerry Bridge BBM after use
    • If the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet memory is too low for use, restart the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet to free up memory

This link is to our Knowledge Base article about the issue.

Link: KB32946-BlackBerry Bridge BBM consumes a large amount of memory when the application is minimized and idle on the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet

The knowledgebase article says that it happens on BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet 2.1.0.1032, but it's still happening to me on 2.1.0.1088 as well.

A little clarification on their Overview, from my experience: Bridge BBM only seems to eat up free memory when it's minimized and any other app is running. So in addition to closing Bridge BBM, you also don't want to open it while other apps are running (assuming you're having this problem at all).

Also, so far on mine, I have not had to restart the PlayBook; just closing Bridge BBM seems to recover all free memory.

I've asked them if they have any info on exactly what conditions cause this issue, as it is obviously not very common, or else I'm sure we'd be hearing a lot more screaming about it here. If I get any more info, I'll be sure to post it.
    Ed

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

nice info sleepngbear... thx.. I hope the solution will come with the next update since it's not coming with the recently 1088.... at least they've aware on this issue.. I'm looking forward for the good news..
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

I have this problem too.

The latest BB Bridge app update seems to have fixed this issue.

Go to the link below in your phone's browser, then follow the link there for the correct version for your phone's OS.

BlackBerry Bridge (AT&T & CSpire ready) OTA and BES Upgrade (2.1.0.34)
    Ed

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

yes.. it seems the problem is gone.. the bug has been killed... yay....
    I hope it really gone for good....