Hi! Just read that the BBC iplayer is going to enable viewers to download content and watch at a later date without needing a wifi connection.

Initially coming to iPad/iPhone and android later - hope that this comes to playbook too!

BBC News - BBC iPlayer launches mobile-download service
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    09-04-12 03:56 PM
    really hope this comes soon - ideally in the next week as I've got a holiday planned soon!
    09-04-12 04:34 PM
    well I had to install a new BBC Iplayer app on my iphone to access this functionality, the playbook Iplayer is pointing to a shortcut on their website - with no download functionality there.

So unless we get a specific app for the playbook (which I doubt would happen) I can't see us getting this, which would be a real real shame
    09-05-12 06:22 AM
    Not sure if it helps but the iPlayer desktop is actually an Adobe AIR app. This should mean someone cleverer than me should be able to make it work on the Playbook...
    09-05-12 11:51 AM
    I can't see us getting this, which would be a real real shame
    Mr Flibble's very cross! Ahaha!! Great username!

To actually add to the discussion, though - I think that we PB users may run into problems with DRM. I know that the progs I dl'd to my laptop a while ago were DRM'd to expire, and IIRC DRM and the PB don't play well together.
    09-05-12 03:33 PM

Barljo likes this.
    09-06-12 03:29 AM
    hmm...i would have thought that because the BBC is a public service provider they would be obliged to provide for all platforms.

I could (and probably am) wrong of course.
    Also, bbc iplayer works so well i think an app is completely unnessary imo.
    09-06-12 08:12 AM
    hmm...i would have thought that because the BBC is a public service provider they would be obliged to provide for all platforms.

I could (and probably am) wrong of course.
    Also, bbc iplayer works so well i think an app is completely unnessary imo.
    The point of the app is that you can download and watch offline. Playbook users will be unable to do this.
    Last edited by Wmsi; 09-06-12 at 08:42 AM. Reason: typo
    09-06-12 08:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD