Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SifJar
  • 1 Post By BB_Bmore
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB10 - will it attract big name killer apps ??

Like Skype.... (it's a clincher for me )
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

I dont know why Skype is not done yet for PB. Since MS owns it and RIM and MS have strategic relationship(bing), I'd expect MS should do something for this. It is nothing about BB10. Might be it is time for RIM to dump Bing
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    5,844 Global Posts

Time will tell
    CrackBerry Master

Skype announced a while back that they are working on a fully HTML5 web app. Considering the BB10 browser is getting the highest scores on HTML5 test, it seems logical to assume that may well work. I seem to remember a video demoing the BB10 browser which showed HTML5 support for accessing the cameras (one feature currently missing from the PB browser I believe), which is a promising sign.

Assuming it does work, it would probably also be a much smaller job to adapt said HTML5 web app into a BB10 compliant WebWorks app, tailored to the PB/BB10 devices.

I'd like to think that we will finally get Skype with in some form or another with BB10.

As for other big name apps, it's sort of a catch-22 situation; if the platform gains popularity, the big apps will come, and if the big apps come, the platform will gain popularity. It's perhaps hard to strike a balance at first, convincing enough big name app developers to port their apps initially to generate the initial interest necessary to boost popularity and attract more big apps.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    taz323 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,856 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

Skype just released on windows phone in beta. I doubt it will be ready for BlackBerry10 at launch. Good news is there will be alternatives for sure. FaceFlow is cross platform and works in the PlayBook browser. The dev is building a app for PlayBook and BlackBerry10 and the BlackBerry10 should be ready at launch. There will also be bbm video chat but that like the PlayBook's is BlackBerry only.
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    Thanked by 2:
    currygoat (11-18-2012),  iThamerBB (11-19-2012) 
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Agree on faceflow. Just starting using it last week and I much prefer it over SKYPE (son's android phone). There are alternatives that work equally well or in my case better.
    Last edited by Ho Ho Ho; 11-17-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts

I saw the BB10 WiFi calling/vid calling feature so it might be that they've been holding out so people will use it instead of skype, it would be foolish but I've seen Corps do more foolish things...
    Thanked by:
    Kandoo-BB (11-18-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Re: BB10 - will it attract big name killer apps ??

Blackberry 10 will attract big name killer apps if it success in market penetration. Today I found many Android and IOS developers are still have wrong information regarding blackberry 10 OS. In their minds, blackberry 10 has the same basic with previous blackberry OS.

This is the challenge for RIM and Blackberry fans to make right the information. If we want to see many apps coming to blackberry 10.
    sent from anywhere
    @isatbb@isatbbplg
    #mybb10
    #BB10Believe
    Blog: bb10believe.blogspot.com

HONK! IF YOU WANT BLACKBERRY 10

9380, Black and White Z10, LG Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 520
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    794 Global Posts

Just gimme Netflix :'(
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,856 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

Sorry I should have been more clear, Skype only recently released in beta for windows phone 8...
    Quote Originally Posted by LongLeggs View Post
    Skype has been on windows phone forever now.

Jessica
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Probably not, its gonna be a long road. Also some of these developer promotion things seem a little strange, like $100 to port your game or $10,000 if you make over $1000 dollars in a year, wouldnt be worth the time for big name game companies, Some are struggling to make a profit even with games in the top of the charts on both Android and iOS, with sales in the millions.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,524 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnyblaze View Post
    Probably not, its gonna be a long road. Also some of these developer promotion things seem a little strange, like $100 to port your game or $10,000 if you make over $1000 dollars in a year, wouldnt be worth the time for big name game companies, Some are struggling to make a profit even with games in the top of the charts on both Android and iOS, with sales in the millions.
    I suggested a while ago that they were having trouble courting some of the big names, which is why they're offering all the incentives to the small fish right now. They're hoping to draw out a few indie hits to get a good start for the platform. Once BB10 is entrenched, the big names will come. I think they'll be a bit short on 1st tier apps at launch, but hopefully there's enough GOOD small developer content to make up for it.

Like you were alluding to, the big name devs know what it takes to make money on a mobile title. Infinity blade has made more profit that Gears of War, but only because of the quality of the game resulting in sheer volume of purchases.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

I sure hope they have at least some of the big names at the start, but like others have said it is highly unlikely. It's too bad but major developers are too chicken now and I am assuming it costs too much to make the app if it feels. Still seems like a bad business plan to me since they really took a chance with the other operating systems and were very successful because of it (instagram and flip board are 2 that come to mind) So if they throw there app out there at the start to me anyways they would get even more business and downloads for being one of the first ones out and draw people to the platform on top of it.... I really shouldn't talk though cause I really know nothing about the business end of it lol
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    32FE97BA

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    I suggested a while ago that they were having trouble courting some of the big names
    I tend to agree with this simply because if the big names were on board RIM would be naming names. Unlike the devices and the finished OS, holding back the names of the apps serves no purpose since everyone knows what the apps look like and how they work. The only explanation is RIM does not have the big ones committed --- yet. Could change though.

I mean, yeah I suppose one could argue that releasing everything on Jan 30 at once creates more "bang". Possibly, but I do not see that as enough of a reason to hold out since that is THE largest doubt folks have in the back of their minds. We know BB10 will be technically amazing and the phones will be slick.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

Sounds like they are doing whatever they can to have the main apps available at launch. Here's another thread about this topic, with T Heins interview.

Thorsten Heins: BB10 AppWorld - Big Name Draws
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

I think they will have some big name killer apps.. but not too many... everyone else will jump on board if it becomes a success and penetrates into the market...
    Thanks,
    Sriman
    Meeting Minutes Pro - Become a Pro at attending, organizing, tracking, manging and distributing meetings
    Meeting Minutes - A 3 day trial version of Meeting Minutes Pro
    www.srimanapps.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

This is such a tremendous oppurtunity for small to medium app development shops. I wish I could develop, I'd hop into it. Instead I buy shares of RIMM stock.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Why so serious?

Default Re: BB10 - will it attract big name killer apps ??

really it comes down to RIM nailing the marketing upon release. microsoft kinda butchered such marketing with the release of the nokia 900, a premier wp7 device at the time. it has since seen some pretty drastic price cuts which is something RIM simply can't afford. devs will create and port apps to a platform that is being used and all the big names are no different. think of it this way, good marketing = high demand = high supply = high developer interest = all the big name apps coming to the party. everyone is in business for themselves, its a vicious circle.
    ***One cannot get anywhere in life unless they are willing to steal the tiger's wallet.***