Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By rogprov
  • 1 Post By Techno-Emigre
  • 2 Post By Wongsky
  • 1 Post By uncle_numpty
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB10 - Who needs it

Right - lets get this out of the way first - I was a might unhappy about it not being available for day 1.

But upon reflecion I've begun to wonder if I need it at all. After all I don't use SKYPE and the PB does a lot of things I require and to my mind does it better than any other tablet.

Add to that the rumoured news that SKYPE ( and others ? ) are going to be android ports and I'm actually wondering why people don't just buy an Android tablet that will do it without emulation and all the extra horesepower that requires.

So all I really want is for BB/RIM to get of its collective arse and give me a working USB port and I can keep my PB by my side for a long time to come.

Cheers
    CrackBerry Addict

Although I agree that the Playbook is a great tablet, the extra interest put in by app developers (even if they are "only" ports) because the BB10 OS being on phones is (or at least will be) a major advantage to the selection availble for the Playbook, thereby making the Playbook even more useful to a vast swathe of people.

The more users, the more devs. The more devs, the more apps. The more apps, the more users and the more userful the device becomes.

Si.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts
    PIN
    Pin:s & Needle:s

I don't need it. When it comes, I'll probably use it just because its available. But i don't need it. Before purchasing my first Playbook, I researched many tablets and found that the Playbook was best suited for me. I now have 3 Playbooks.....1 for home, 1 for work and 1 for my son.
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    CrackBerry Abuser

I need it because of DLNA & Skype!!! Waiting quite long for it already and might even consider to by a 4th one if it comes soon
    CrackBerry User

But upon reflecion I've begun to wonder if I need it at all. After all I don't use SKYPE and the PB does a lot of things I require and to my mind does it better than any other tablet.
    Agree, can't understand why folk buy something that doesn't do all they want and then expect the makers to change the device to suit them. Surely it's best to research a product before buying it? I don't need or want Skype, Netflix, USB etc so I'm happy with my Playbook.
    Thanked by:
    Scotter75 (02-08-2013) 
    Scotter75 and DC506 like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

i need one sooo baad !!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by simu31 View Post
    Although I agree that the Playbook is a great tablet, the extra interest put in by app developers (even if they are "only" ports) because the BB10 OS being on phones is (or at least will be) a major advantage to the selection availble for the Playbook, thereby making the Playbook even more useful to a vast swathe of people.

The more users, the more devs. The more devs, the more apps. The more apps, the more users and the more userful the device becomes.

Si.
    Fair point - but.... it's not encouraging native app development, just porting apps and therefore not using either the hardware or installed OS to it's best ability.

With regard to porting an app though - does the dev recompile with BBOS as a target option or is it being ported to run under android emulation ?
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by rogprov View Post
    Agree, can't understand why folk buy something that doesn't do all they want and then expect the makers to change the device to suit them. Surely it's best to research a product before buying it? I don't need or want Skype, Netflix, USB etc so I'm happy with my Playbook.
    Well I look at it like this - I didn't buy the PlayBook as my primary tablet - I had an Android tablet already. I bought it because it was selling at a very good price, I'd read very good things about it's build quality and OS, and wanted to get a tablet in a smaller form factor (my Android tablets are both 10", and all the other tablets in the household up to then were the larger variety).

Since getting my PlayBook, I've developed an interest in being able to use Skype - for me it's not a deal breaker, because it's not truly essential for me. Same for the Kindle app (and yes I realise you can sideload an aging Android build of it, but it's useless to me, since that version doesn't support whispersync of non-Amazon titles).

Sometimes peoples wants / needs change, and the esoteric can possibly be excused, but mainstream, big blockbuster apps can be quite stark gaps. I don't care, truly, if there's a big disparity between the number of apps in BlackBerry's app store, compared with Google Play, or iTunes - at least not on principle - the apps I choose to install, isn't a big number, and rarely changes.

But then I'm not vocally unhappy with my PlayBook, probably more towards the opposite of that. All the same, though, research is one thing, but requirements or wants change - sometimes purely because people don't know how they're really going to use something until they get it, sometimes because circumstances change.
    Thanked by:
    Techno-Emigre (02-08-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    PIN
    2ADA5538

Nobody really "NEED" BB10, what everybody wants are the app that BB10 bring us. But, to get these apps we need BB10... That's why, we want this new OS.
    By waiting BB10, we also know that no more app are coming to our playbook, before this update. What kind of developper would work hardly to make an app for OS2.1, if he knows that in "later this year", a totally new OS is coming ?

We are in a gap now, OS2 is here, but BB10 is coming. We have to wait with nothing really exciting coming for our PB before the update.
    French Blacberry addict. Q10.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

I'm with you, I really would like a usable USB port, that's about it, what we have now works great for me. And frankly if the BB10 phone doesn't bridge with it l will stick with my 9810 till it dies
    CrackBerry Addict

I have been so excited for BB10 to arrive, and was confident we would have USB sync of Outlook. Due to ethical constraints I cannot put my contacts and calendar in the cloud. Now I am not so sure. Going backwards with Bridge is confusing to me. We just have to give this some time and see where things end up. I am in the U. S. so no Z10 until March and no idea about BB10 on PB. I am not about to "upgrade" to less functionality, so I will have to decide then.
    Revampd likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Default Re: BB10 - Who needs it

I need it for two reasons....as not bringing the new os will choke the playbook app world......and I love the lock screen on z10 !!
    CrackBerry User

PIN

All I want from BB10 are the apps and a better browser. I like the current homescreen and UI. Even if it's just like an update of the PlayBook OS with access to BlackBerry World, I'd be happy.
    CrackBerry Abuser

If you don't want it don't update. Who cares if YOU need it or not. Just another negative attitude.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by 9Jer99 View Post
    If you don't want it don't update. Who cares if YOU need it or not. Just another negative attitude.
    One could make the same argument regarding your statement. My uninformed opinion is that the BB 10 OS that eventually gets to Playbook will in fact be OS 2.2.
    BB10 is basically a hybrid of QNX and BB OS. If you take away the phone what are you left with? Basically the Playbook OS we currently enjoy.

The only reason I see to upgrade is that development will stop on PlayBook OS Apps so anything new will be geared towards BB 10 only.

This conversation has nothing to do with BB 10 Phones. I WILL get one just as soon as I can justify it.
    Ain't no rocket scientists in the fire hall
    9500 > 9550 > 9800 > 9810 > 9900

32g Playbook + 16g Playbook + 64g Playbook
    CrackBerry User

it seems that crackberry or BB (aka rim) is trying to push people away from asking bb10 on playbook. you like it or not thats what i am thinking.
    other thing is, of course i want/need BB10 on playbook, who do you think will develop new apps or even update existing apps for a discontinued machine? as a partly developer person, i wouldnt touch a such system.
    the other thing is relaying on somebody else's platform and app! i am talking about android of course. I installed many ported apps to my playbook, and all i can say is that shouldnt be that way to go, as the ported apps dont give the right flavor.
    CrackBerry User

I think all the people who buy better tablets (like any other tablet) may need BB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by BBplaybookJS View Post
    The only reason I see to upgrade is that development will stop on PlayBook OS Apps so anything new will be geared towards BB 10 only.
    My point entirely.
    There are some on this site that believe they know enough about BB10 already to say it won't function correctly on Playbook. No evidence, no proof, just a comparison to a crippled development version. I really doubt that a BB10 version would come out for the Playbook and be that pathetic. I would not make any sense. It may be a slimmed version but if it only allows BB10 apps then that's enough in itself to warrant it. Have you notice the lack of great apps in the past month or so? The future is BB10 regardless if a few like it or not.
    CrackBerry Addict

My point entirely.
    There are some on this site that believe they know enough about BB10 already to say it won't function correctly on Playbook. No evidence, no proof, just a comparison to a crippled development version. I really doubt that a BB10 version would come out for the Playbook and be that pathetic. I would not make any sense. It may be a slimmed version but if it only allows BB10 apps then that's enough in itself to warrant it. Have you notice the lack of great apps in the past month or so? The future is BB10 regardless if a few like it or not.
    Well I don't know loads or enough about BB10 to claim it will or won't be a success for the PlayBook. Experience of software updates on other tablets and devices does set precedent, though.

For some people it's all about more and more apps - a wild and diverse smorgasbord of them, for those taken with the shiny-shiny.

Me, personally, I doubt there's going to be any huge game changers in terms of apps I want to use. If BB10 comes and it brings with it steady availability of core things that have been lacking (eg Skype, Kindle) then all well and good. Otherwise, though, the PlayBook OS is already QNX. So it might look a bit swisher, but if I'm not clamouring for loads more apps, why would it be that key?

Truth be told, I've got what I want, largely, in terms of what I do with it, app developers aren't likely going to change that through not having the same focus on the current PlayBook OS any more. I don't think BB10 is such a huge leap for the PlayBook as it will be for the handset market. No, I hear you cry, there will be loads more apps - "So what?" is my response.

Apps, apps, and more apps may be the war cry of the texting generation, but it would be bogus to assume that the entire demographic is obsessed with them.
    Chaddface and deemgee like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

For one thing blackberry should bloody care what i want/don't want, the old maxim 'the customer is always right, applies I beleive.

I dont quite see where i was being negative tbh.
    DC506 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts
    PIN
    Pin:s & Needle:s

The title of this thread is: BB10 - Who needs it. People will differ on their answers and that's what makes this forum great.
    And BTW....not needing something isn't a negative attitude...it's a personal preference or choice.

Cheers
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    CrackBerry Abuser

Just use what works for you. BB10 on the PB would be a nice upgrade but it's *not* essential for everyone.

Some people are just never satisfied and always want the latest "thing" just to look fashionable or to brag or in rarer cases to make their lives more productive.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,302 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

The most obvious answer is BlackBerry needs it badly if you look at the collapsing marketshare.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

I don't quite see where some people get the idea bb10 wont run on the playbook, after all i would think 2.1 is only an older version of bb10.

And bb will have to remove all the phone relevant content for the wifi playbook at least as it will serve no purpose.

Finally, there is no need for faster processors and more memory as the current pb proves it can do any number of tasks perfectly well. Sure more memory and more processors can mean more processes running at the same time, but really, who needs 20 apps funning at once. Better usage of the existing hardware would be a lower cost better alternative at the moment for BB imho.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by DC506 View Post
    The title of this thread is: BB10 - Who needs it. People will differ on their answers and that's what makes this forum great.
    And BTW....not needing something isn't a negative attitude...it's a personal preference or choice.

Cheers
    In the context "BB10 - Who needs it" is in fact negative. Who is not quite I.