You really are a sad old man with a grudge. If you don't like the platform, and only want to complain, why don't you help us out and leave. Mine worked great first time and still does.
    And there I was thinking this was a forum. Sadly yet again that dream has been shattered by another person that has nothing better to do than leave meaningless comments on a thread that it is not compulsory to read anyway and even less reason to reply to.

Mine worked first time? Your what worked first time? Bottle opener, corkscrew or therapy treatment?

I have the Z10 in my pocket right now, in fact it's connecting my pb to the Internet to enable me to read your feeble comments, but it still will not setup google calendar. If yours did it first time (if that's what your referring to) then congratulations and I'm happy for you. Now go back to school before they notice you are missing!
    JeepBB and playbook_swiper1 like this.
    02-28-13 09:51 AM
    You will be a very happy chappy in that case. If your desire is to have less that's certainly what you get with the Z10. Amongst a host of other things I could go on about, the one thing I am reminded of on a daily basis is the non bridge function. I still keep my pb bridged to my Z10 permanently as I did with my torch just so that I can gaze lovingly at the bridge folder icon on my pb and remember with fondness how it looked in times gone past when it actually contained meaningful items like, sms, messages, bbm, notes and such. It was such a wondrous journey inside the folder with all sorts of useful things you could use instead of the one single icon in it now the simply contains a read me file that tells you bridge doesn't work anymore. It states it in nice big long posh words but the meaning is just the same.

P's I can't even find the radio icon on my two Z10s but everyone tells me it has a radio on it somewhere, they just don't say where it is. Typical!
    As I wrote in another thread:

"
    I was thinking about this more. When I first went looking at the pb, the first thing I did was pair my 9930 with the pb at Best Buy. While I waited another week to purchase it, I was sold as soon as I saw I could read my mail on the pb and check the Memos and Calendar and Contacts. As soon as I broke the connection, the Best Buy model was clean and MY DATA was gone from it. What a great scheme and now Rim/BBRY blows it off as not much of a feature. Who are they kidding? What were they thinking? "
    sad_old_man and JeepBB like this.
    02-28-13 10:35 AM
    As I wrote in another thread:

"
    I was thinking about this more. When I first went looking at the pb, the first thing I did was pair my 9930 with the pb at Best Buy. While I waited another week to purchase it, I was sold as soon as I saw I could read my mail on the pb and check the Memos and Calendar and Contacts. As soon as I broke the connection, the Best Buy model was clean and MY DATA was gone from it. What a great scheme and now Rim/BBRY blows it off as not much of a feature. Who are they kidding? What were they thinking? "
    "Who are they kidding? What were they thinking?"

I love the easy questions first. Answer: "Us" and "Nothing because they have no conception of end user satisfaction".

In a nutshell you would find your way around the Z10 in 30 seconds because you have a pb. Is everyone missing the point that a Z10 is a small pb with a phone inside it? For people with a 7.1 or below handset its a dream come true and are prepared to accept its shortfalls, of which there are many. If you've owned a pb you tend to concentrate on how your new Z10 will enhance your world and the truth is a bit like changing from a cinema surround sound connected to your 50" flat screen tv, to connecting a pair of iPod portable speakers to it. And before people jump on me for that statement I have absolutely nothing against portable speakers.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-28-13 11:28 AM

I love the easy questions first. Answer: "Us" and "Nothing because they have no conception of end user satisfaction".

In a nutshell you would find your way around the Z10 in 30 seconds because you have a pb. Is everyone missing the point that a Z10 is a small pb with a phone inside it? For people with a 7.1 or below handset its a dream come true and are prepared to accept its shortfalls, of which there are many. If you've owned a pb you tend to concentrate on how your new Z10 will enhance your world and the truth is a bit like changing from a cinema surround sound connected to your 50" flat screen tv, to connecting a pair of iPod portable speakers to it. And before people jump on me for that statement I have absolutely nothing against portable speakers.
    I have to admit that I have not visited the bb10 subforums. I am not entitled to an upgrade (meaning a potentially subsidized price) for another year. I figure that things will change by then and they will even change somewhat if I jump early but am staying out of the info overload for the moment. I'm probably also not interested in an only touchscreen model but am already leery of the keyed model without a trackpad (and other buttons).

What is it you really don't like - what is the new phone missing? Besides BRIDGE where I find their change appalling, what else is OFF?
    02-28-13 11:44 AM

Not that I don't get the gist of your disappointment with the Z10 - but realistically, what are my other options... spend an absolute fortune on something I know I'm not going to get along with - an iPhone, or an Android phone, which I've plenty of experience of Android, but on a phone, it's left me unsatisfied at actually being a phone. So a Windows phone? Well I've had Nokia handsets for a while - and have still got 2 Nokia N8s (one running Anna, one running Belle), and look after a couple of Lumia's for the olds - so thanks, but no thanks.

So I thought I'd take a punt on a BlackBerry handset - options seem to be BB OS7 handsets quite cheap and available for good contract rates, or a Z10 available free on a reasonably priced (compared with what you get) network tariff. Yes, I get it won't be perfect, and it won't (at present) have as much advantage of being used with a PlayBook as other BB handset incarnations - but all the same, there will be some synergy with the PlayBook, which suits me fine.

Point being, what would be a better alternative?

I know what I don't really want, I know what I'm not really keen on. Just because it could have been better, is no reason to expectorate my pacifier. The pram's just fine...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-28-13 11:49 AM
    RE: BB10 update on PlayBook will be in 3rd or 4th week of Feb?

Whoever predicts that, he/she obviously didn't win any lottery games...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-28-13 11:55 AM
    I have to admit that I have not visited the bb10 subforums. I am not entitled to an upgrade (meaning a potentially subsidized price) for another year. I figure that things will change by then and they will even change somewhat if I jump early but am staying out of the info overload for the moment. I'm probably also not interested in an only touchscreen model but am already leery of the keyed model without a trackpad (and other buttons).

What is it you really don't like - what is the new phone missing? Besides BRIDGE where I find their change appalling, what else is OFF?
    You only have to read the Z10 forum or do a search on Z10 problem. It operates just like the pb in its screen gestures and the way you reduce running programs to either close them or open another program although no option like we have to leave the programs running in the background.

The problem I find is the phone part of it. In my own personal opinion it is clumsy and confusing. (not hard with me eh!)

To me it's just another knee **** reaction by a company in trouble and this is very disappointing. The simple solutions are the best, "when you find yourself in a hole, put the shoved down and stop digging" !

The small things are very irksome as they always are with anything. When taking a call, at the end of it the red end call icon is partially covered by the other icons at the bottom of the screen. Several setup screens that you have to visit which to end users tend to be important, the lines of text overlap each other. If your a techie then you can guess what it means, but if your not? The selection of ringtones, alert tones and notification tones to be honest are similar to what I would expect my neighbors 4yr old daughter to have chosen so thank the Lord there are very few of them. The file manager might as well not exsist. The hub which I totally don't understand could have been written by a university student with a grudge against RIM.

The hub lies to the left of the main screen. In the hub when it's selected are your mail accounts, notifications, bbm, sms messages, missed call list and voice mail. When sms or mail are received that's where you look. The problem is let's say you receive an sms. You open the hub and it the heading of the text is there (along with all the other crap it keeps storing). You open the text and read it. Simple but essential to find out what it says. Close it down and the keyboard pops back up. Swipe right and go back to your main screen, start working on something else and receive another sms. Ahha you think, swipe to the hub and your back to your first sms with the keyboard. It doesn't even return to the main hub it keeps the last action open. Missed call, email, bbm message and everything else. I firmly believe I'll find F2s address in there one day? Anyway you have to touch the body of the text to get rid of the keyboard, then you can see the back button (which is always covered by that damn keyboard and then you can go back to the hub. The thing is it defaults to the last action, ie sms, missed call etc. It its on sms and you go back to the main screen, if you for instance miss a call and return to the hub (which you have to) guess what?, yes you are still on sms messages and can't see your missed call.

In brief its atrocious coding at its best but I have the complete answer to all this! They won't beat me!

Well you did ask!
    02-28-13 12:31 PM
    You only have to read the Z10 forum or do a search on Z10 problem. It operates just like the pb in its screen gestures and the way you reduce running programs to either close them or open another program although no option like we have to leave the programs running in the background.

The problem I find is the phone part of it. In my own personal opinion it is clumsy and confusing. (not hard with me eh!)

To me it's just another knee **** reaction by a company in trouble and this is very disappointing. The simple solutions are the best, "when you find yourself in a hole, put the shoved down and stop digging" !

The small things are very irksome as they always are with anything. When taking a call, at the end of it the red end call icon is partially covered by the other icons at the bottom of the screen. Several setup screens that you have to visit which to end users tend to be important, the lines of text overlap each other. If your a techie then you can guess what it means, but if your not? The selection of ringtones, alert tones and notification tones to be honest are similar to what I would expect my neighbors 4yr old daughter to have chosen so thank the Lord there are very few of them. The file manager might as well not exsist. The hub which I totally don't understand could have been written by a university student with a grudge against RIM.

The hub lies to the left of the main screen. In the hub when it's selected are your mail accounts, notifications, bbm, sms messages, missed call list and voice mail. When sms or mail are received that's where you look. The problem is let's say you receive an sms. You open the hub and it the heading of the text is there (along with all the other crap it keeps storing). You open the text and read it. Simple but essential to find out what it says. Close it down and the keyboard pops back up. Swipe right and go back to your main screen, start working on something else and receive another sms. Ahha you think, swipe to the hub and your back to your first sms with the keyboard. It doesn't even return to the main hub it keeps the last action open. Missed call, email, bbm message and everything else. I firmly believe I'll find F2s address in there one day? Anyway you have to touch the body of the text to get rid of the keyboard, then you can see the back button (which is always covered by that damn keyboard and then you can go back to the hub. The thing is it defaults to the last action, ie sms, missed call etc. It its on sms and you go back to the main screen, if you for instance miss a call and return to the hub (which you have to) guess what?, yes you are still on sms messages and can't see your missed call.

In brief its atrocious coding at its best but I have the complete answer to all this! They won't beat me!

Well you did ask!
    You are sad and angry old man.. I guess you better leave technology to us younger guys..
    02-28-13 12:52 PM
    You are sad and angry old man.. I guess you better leave technology to us younger guys..
    Maybe us older guys just have higher expectations of what technology should offer?

Or maybe we have a naive view that new technology should actually improve on what went before?

As for this older guy, I won't even consider getting a Z10 until they fix the gaddamn notifications to work like they always did (so I can see/hear what it is from 10feet without even picking up the phone), and restore the awesomeness that was Bridge.

Still, I'm glad you're happy with your Z10. You younger guys being our future an' all.
    02-28-13 01:21 PM
    whatever you are smoking, please share, good stuff
    02-28-13 02:53 PM
    Maybe us older guys just have higher expectations of what technology should offer?

Or maybe we have a naive view that new technology should actually improve on what went before?

As for this older guy, I won't even consider getting a Z10 until they fix the gaddamn notifications to work like they always did (so I can see/hear what it is from 10feet without even picking up the phone), and restore the awesomeness that was Bridge.

Still, I'm glad you're happy with your Z10. You younger guys being our future an' all.
    Ah JeepBB I see schools out. They are both probably just a bit pissed at not having a Z10 when I have two of them. Stick with your 8360s boys.

Mmmmmmmm more brandy me thinks!
    02-28-13 03:05 PM
    I have to agree with SOM on the hub issue...I also don't like the fact that I have to back out of the last thing I looked at to get to the main hub for the new event. I would like to see a new hub event override the previous one when I swipe to the hub.

As for bridge.... I also miss the original features, and I hope they reintegrate them soon.

I am honestly back to my 9900 for the time being, until more bugs are worked out, and some more customization apps become available that I need.

In the meantime, who knows... I may get the Q10.

Either way, SOM makes some valid points, in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, sad_old_man, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    02-28-13 03:15 PM
    I have to agree with SOM on the hub issue...I also don't like the fact that I have to back out of the last thing I looked at to get to the main hub for the new event. I would like to see a new hub event override the previous one when I swipe to the hub.

As for bridge.... I also miss the original features, and I hope they reintegrate them soon.

I am honestly back to my 9900 for the time being, until more bugs are worked out, and some more customization apps become available that I need.

Posted via CB10
    If only the hub defaulted back to the main hub instead of remaining on the last action. Eg I received a text message, the phone beeps, I go into the hub and read it and then go back to the main screen. I now miss a call so back to the hub expecting to see the details of and get the text message I've already read. I have to select the hub menu and select missed calls. If it only defaulted back to the main hub it would be a lot better.
    02-28-13 03:54 PM
    Where's the bar
    It's five-o'clock somewhere. You can join me in 30 minutes and I'll show you the one I go to now and then.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-28-13 04:58 PM
    If only the hub defaulted back to the main hub instead of remaining on the last action. Eg I received a text message, the phone beeps, I go into the hub and read it and then go back to the main screen. I now miss a call so back to the hub expecting to see the details of and get the text message I've already read. I have to select the hub menu and select missed calls. If it only defaulted back to the main hub it would be a lot better.
    I feel your pain!!!!! LOL!!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-28-13 05:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    Now I'm confused! More and more people keep saying that to me. Has the Q10 got a different version of bb10 on it that doesn't use the hub?
    03-01-13 07:31 AM
    I'll just say this because on this forum I am considered a newbie even though I have been in this business for over 30 years. BB10 Beta for PB will be out by the end of Feb 2013. I will be back on this thread on March 1, 2013 to say I told you so. I am using an internal build on a 64gb Playbook as we speak. It's very buggy, it lags a bit, but it's for the most part all there.
    ?
    03-01-13 08:15 AM
    I enjoy a good gossip as much as the next guy, but I also think that we should focus on verified information. Otherwise we look like 13 year old's: math test next week; no,it's tomorrow; no, my sisters stepbrothers cousin pet friend said that he heard from who knows who that there is a slight possibility that there is a slight chance of considering having a hypothetical text the day after.......
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-01-13 08:26 AM
    Anyone hoping BB10 is coming to the PlayBook before the summer (June-July-ish) is probably going to disappointed. I don't know anything other than my gut feelings on this one. If you really want BB10, get a Z10 because it's absolutely awesome. Once BB10 comes to the PlayBook, if you're still running an OS7 device, you probably won't be benefiting from any of the new possible features, so you'll just be complaining again. The best way to go is to get a Z10, get used to how BB10 works, then once the PlayBook BB10 update comes, update your PB and it will be like you're using a completely new device and you'll have your Z10 to complement it and use the new bridge features that go along with it.

Since I've got my Z10, my PlayBook has been a 2nd thought. I've never had a phone with a large screen (full touch), so the PlayBook used to be my "large screen" device when I had my 9900. I used to "open on playbook" all kinds of websites so I could view them more easily, or view flash videos. Now that the Z10's screen makes web browsing, etc more comfortable on the eyes, plays flash, and has a keyboard that is multiple times better than the PlayBook's keyboard, I've been barely using my PlayBook. I still love it and use it for HDMI-out to my TV (even though the Z10 can do this too, but I like using my Z10 as a remote for my PB), but for casual web browsing (that I used to use my PlayBook for), the Z10 is more than capable of satisfying my needs. My PlayBook has become more of a work device, when paired with the BB bluetooth keyboard, and acts as a more portable laptop for me now.

I think we'd all be better off not worrying/complaining about BB10 on the PlayBook. Get a Z10, use it, love it, and when the PB finally gets BB10 it will come as more of a surprise and we'll all be much happier!
    03-01-13 08:49 AM
    Anyone hoping BB10 is coming to the PlayBook before the summer (June-July-ish) is probably going to disappointed. I don't know anything other than my gut feelings on this one. If you really want BB10, get a Z10 because it's absolutely awesome. Once BB10 comes to the PlayBook, if you're still running an OS7 device, you probably won't be benefiting from any of the new possible features, so you'll just be complaining again. The best way to go is to get a Z10, get used to how BB10 works, then once the PlayBook BB10 update comes, update your PB and it will be like you're using a completely new device and you'll have your Z10 to complement it and use the new bridge features that go along with it.

Since I've got my Z10, my PlayBook has been a 2nd thought. I've never had a phone with a large screen (full touch), so the PlayBook used to be my "large screen" device when I had my 9900. I used to "open on playbook" all kinds of websites so I could view them more easily, or view flash videos. Now that the Z10's screen makes web browsing, etc more comfortable on the eyes, plays flash, and has a keyboard that is multiple times better than the PlayBook's keyboard, I've been barely using my PlayBook. I still love it and use it for HDMI-out to my TV (even though the Z10 can do this too, but I like using my Z10 as a remote for my PB), but for casual web browsing (that I used to use my PlayBook for), the Z10 is more than capable of satisfying my needs. My PlayBook has become more of a work device, when paired with the BB bluetooth keyboard, and acts as a more portable laptop for me now.

I think we'd all be better off not worrying/complaining about BB10 on the PlayBook. Get a Z10, use it, love it, and when the PB finally gets BB10 it will come as more of a surprise and we'll all be much happier!
    I agree and I also have found the perfect solution/workaround for my Z10.

For some reason people love it. I don't know why but then I suppose it's whatever floats your boat. This is how I overcame my disappointment with the feeble smartphone imitation commonly know as the Z10.

1. I obtained a free sim card adapter from my air time provider.
    2. Remove stupid micro sim from Z10 and insert in sim card adapter.
    3. Replace sim card in my old Torch with new sim card installed in the adapter.
    4. Turn on both mobiles.
    5. Hide the Torch out of sight and connect your bt headset.
    6. Enter meeting, hotel bar, local public or bosses office. (don't have one of those but you know what I mean.

Result is:

Handset/pb combination back to normal and that lovely bridge folder is back to normal and virtually bristling with icons instead of some useless read me file with the pathetic Z10.

For those of you with a nervous disposition, please look away now.

Impress everyone with the functionality of the new Z10 by using it to send texts and fully interact with your bb phone. (as you used to do be able to do) but keep your Z10 on display and the Torch hidden. You will be the envy of nearly everyone apart from the dweebs who constantly bleat on mindlessly about how good these things are without actually trying to use them for anything apart from playing angry birds.

It's a perfect combination and once to have clinched the deal, or been successful in gaining promotion, please please spend some of your extra income/commission on buying decent pasties and decent brandy. Perfect solution!
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-01-13 09:20 AM
    FWIW I was on the phone to tech support to arrange a repair and jokingly asked if they could send it back with BB10 installed, he told me there was no firm date yet, but I would probably have to wait till July-ish.

Gordon
    03-01-13 09:35 AM
    FWIW I was on the phone to tech support to arrange a repair and jokingly asked if they could send it back with BB10 installed, he told me there was no firm date yet, but I would probably have to wait till July-ish.

Gordon
    Well, July is just around the corner and it is 60 days, well, from May and May and Mar are almost the same month.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-01-13 10:32 AM
    I enjoy a good gossip as much as the next guy, but I also think that we should focus on verified information. Otherwise we look like 13 year old's: math test next week; no,it's tomorrow; no, my sisters stepbrothers cousin pet friend said that he heard from who knows who that there is a slight possibility that there is a slight chance of considering having a hypothetical text the day after.......
    You are a wonderful understanding human being and I salute you sir!

However in the meantime could you send me one of those hypothetical texts to see if I can received them. Don't know what they are but they sound like something I should have. Could you please include in your text the date of our maths test because my sisters stepbrothers cousin pet friend has a Z10 and can't text from it! (sorry just couldn't resist that)
    03-01-13 11:09 AM
    Today Blackberry announces the cancellation of BB10 for PB, , ,

BlackBerry PlayBook: BlackBerry 10 never coming | BGR
    06-28-13 12:30 PM
    06-28-13 12:32 PM
101 ... 2345