Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 53
Like Tree39Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: BB10 for PB release date - TBA Jan. 30th?

    Sorry but I don't buy it coming much sooner. Kermed stated in his thread a few days ago summer soonest and his post was detailed with lots of good info. Sure we might see a beta in spring but not official for quite a while
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
  2. QuIcKsIlV3r's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,940 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,943 Global Posts
    #27  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    Sorry but I don't buy it coming much sooner. Kermed stated in his thread a few days ago summer soonest and his post was detailed with lots of good info. Sure we might see a beta in spring but not official for quite a while
    Well mr moderator lol, I politely disagree... I say we will see something by March 31st...
    Living the world of Blackberry and a fan of the comeback!
  3. BB_Bmore's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,843 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,862 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications
    #28  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    Sorry but I don't buy it coming much sooner. Kermed stated in his thread a few days ago summer soonest and his post was detailed with lots of good info. Sure we might see a beta in spring but not official for quite a while
    No disrespect to Kermed but I'm not picking up what he's laying down. The "were have all the high quality apps went" line kinda threw me for a loop. Maybe he's trying to prevent more "is BLACKBERRY10 coming to PlayBook" threads lol.

    I'm gonna go with what @BlackBerrydev said about it being ahead of schedule. It just makes more sense to get it out ASAP. Its free marketing ,It looks good on their part,Devs want a union of 2.1 and BlackBerry10 and Rims been trying to cater to Devs. It shows RIM is serious.

    BlackBerryDev says its ahead of schedule...we have all seen the road map...so if the Road map shows BB10 for PlayBook between Q1 and Q2 and its ahead of schedule,you would think its gonna land early Q1.

    Guess we will all have a better idea here in a couple of weeks.
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    Thanked by:
    QuIcKsIlV3r (01-07-2013) 
    QuIcKsIlV3r, Sansu94 and tdaye like this.
  4. tdaye's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,193 Posts
    #29  

    Default

    I spoke with an old friend of mine lastnight, a senior product manager of blackberry security. He wouldn't confirm or deny the leaked roadmap and said they had not decided on the exact release date of BB10 for the playbook, I couldn't get anymore from him lol
  5. tdaye's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,193 Posts
    #30  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdaye View Post
    I spoke with an old friend of mine lastnight, a senior product manager of blackberry security. He wouldn't confirm or deny the leaked roadmap and said they had not decided on the exact release date of BB10 for the playbook, I couldn't get anymore from him lol
    He did say he would tell me as soon as he knows.
  6. #31  

    Default

    Come on, folks. The pb has always been on a "release at some point" software update schedule. In other words, rarely has there been much advance notice and mostly it is later than anyone expected.

    NEXT FALL!
  7. ricocan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    229 Posts
    PIN
    24D57205
    #32  

    Default

    Does Apple charge to use their proprietary texting service (don't what it's called)? if not then BBM must be free on the PB as well.
  8. RubberChicken76's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,664 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,670 Global Posts
    #33  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricocan View Post
    Does Apple charge to use their proprietary texting service (don't what it's called)? if not then BBM must be free on the PB as well.
    It's called iMessage and it's free on all Apple devices. I run it on my Mac, iPod and iPhone.

    RIM has never charged for BBM (which BTW, is a much better product than iMessage, IMO).
  9. QuIcKsIlV3r's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,940 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,943 Global Posts
    #34  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricocan View Post
    Does Apple charge to use their proprietary texting service (don't what it's called)? if not then BBM must be free on the PB as well.
    No one here mentioned anything about charging for the upgrade OR BBM.

    Sorry, BB-More is talking about how to get revenue from BBM on the PlayBook. As BBM on BlackBerry phones, RIM gets a share of money from charging for people to use BIS or BES. Having it totally open on the PlayBook means they don't have a revenue stream for BBM on the PlayBook
    Living the world of Blackberry and a fan of the comeback!
    Thanked by:
    BB_Bmore (01-09-2013) 
  10. bdguru's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    712 Posts
    #35  

    Default

    Will a new PB need to be purchased to support BB10? Or will be be able to DM it over to our current devices? I'm saving so that i can get a BB10 withy qqwerty and no contract. Not going to be the cheapest thing......Good problem to have
    Sent using my PlayBook or my 9930.
  11. QuIcKsIlV3r's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,940 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,943 Global Posts
    #36  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdguru View Post
    Will a new PB need to be purchased to support BB10? Or will be be able to DM it over to our current devices? I'm saving so that i can get a BB10 withy qqwerty and no contract. Not going to be the cheapest thing......Good problem to have
    Nope, the current lineup of PB's that were bought 20 months ago will get the BB10 update when it comes out.
    Living the world of Blackberry and a fan of the comeback!
    Thanked by:
    bdguru (01-09-2013) 
  12. glamrlama's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    #37  

    Default

    I'm going with the Mobile Computing Platform mantra. BB10 needs to come out on PB as soon as possible. If PB or a successor tablet doesn't get mentioned then BB10 OS is just a phone OS. It needs to come out on other devices and be mobile as soon as possible. The best way to ensure BB10 for the PB is to buy the "PB mini" AKA the Z10 when it becomes available.
    / device agnosticism or bust!
    PatrickMJS likes this.
  13. Deckard79's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    892 Posts
    #38  

    Default

    My guess:

    End of presentation:

    'Now, some of you are probably asking "but where is the existing user-base? How can I be confident I'm not wasting my time and money porting my application to BlackBerry 10? '

    '...well, what if I were to say that we already had an existing user base of well over 2 million customers...?'

    [clicks fingers]

    'Blackberry 10 is available, now, as an update to all of our existing BlackBerry PlayBook customers'

    [applause]

    ...this just happened in my dreams(!)

    Would be a really smart marketing move, though.
    Thanked by:
    PatrickMJS (01-10-2013) 
    F2, tryfe, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
  14. SparkyBC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,224 Posts
    #39  

    Default

    They will need a new branded store on the PB in any even. So there will be an update sooner rather than later.
  15. bungaboy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,049 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,053 Global Posts
    PIN
    With Needle
    #40  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard79 View Post
    My guess:

    End of presentation:

    'Now, some of you are probably asking "but where is the existing user-base? How can I be confident I'm not wasting my time and money porting my application to BlackBerry 10? '

    '...well, what if I were to say that we already had an existing user base of well over 2 million customers...?'

    [clicks fingers]

    'Blackberry 10 is available, now, as an update to all of our existing BlackBerry PlayBook customers'

    [applause]

    ...this just happened in my dreams(!)

    Would be a really smart marketing move, though.
    Well now. Wouldn't that lift the spirits of the battle weary, dedicated troops.

    Thinking positive thoughts and sending good vibes to Thorsten Heins and crew. But, in reality, will get it when we get it.
    "Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew" (Tank Pilot)
  16. Deckard79's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    892 Posts
    #41  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bungaboy View Post
    Well now. Wouldn't that lift the spirits of the battle weary, dedicated troops.

    Thinking positive thoughts and sending good vibes to Thorsten Heins and crew. But, in reality, will get it when we get it.
    Indeed... But we'll be a little disappointed if it isn't announced as imminent... Even though it is perfectly understandable if that is the outcome.

    Either way, I love my cut-price PlayBook to bits and have been very closely following RIM since purchase - will root for them whatever happens.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
  17. PatrickMJS's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,987 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #42  

    Default

    I keep hearing Thorstein's word "shortly"... which most reasonable people would interpret as days or weeks, but not months.
    Patrick from Calgary
    ------------------------------
    Z30 STA100-5, OS version 10.2.1.2977
    PB 64 GB, OS version 2.1.0.1917
  18. JeepBB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,905 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,909 Global Posts
    #43  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMJS View Post
    I keep hearing Thorstein's word "shortly"... which most reasonable people would interpret as days or weeks, but not months.
    Heh-heh... from long experience, I'm sure you know as well as me that RIM's use of "shortly", "soon", "just around the corner", etc, etc, has rarely if ever tallied with most reasonable people's interpretation of those terms!

    I guess we'll know more at the end of the month.
    Proud Member of the PlayBook Beta Test Team (Since June 2011)

    F2, scalemaster34 and Sansu94 like this.
  19. Angus_CB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,187 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,189 Global Posts
    #44  

    Default

    I doubt we'll even see a beta release for the Playbook until the BB10 phones have been on the market for 1-3 months. Definitely not before the phones are released.
    Z30, Nexus 4, Kobo Arc 64GB, Playbook 16GB
  20. smoothrunnings's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,587 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,635 Global Posts
    #45  

    Default

    I hear RIM is coming out with a whole new playbook that is thinner and that won't have such a thick boarder around the screen, the old playbook's will be updated to BB10 but that won't take place for another year or until the newer Playbook devices are in the marketplace.
  21. scalemaster34's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,208 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,212 Global Posts
    #46  

    Default Re: BB10 for PB release date - TBA Jan. 30th?

    Quote Originally Posted by Angus_CB View Post
    I doubt we'll even see a beta release for the Playbook until the BB10 phones have been on the market for 1-3 months. Definitely not before the phones are released.
    will the PlayBook really need extensive outside beta testing?
  22. #47  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeepBB View Post
    Heh-heh... from long experience, I'm sure you know as well as me that RIM's use of "shortly", "soon", "just around the corner", etc, etc, has rarely if ever tallied with most reasonable people's interpretation of those terms!

    I guess we'll know more at the end of the month.
    Or 6 month or end of year! I remain, ever, cynically yours,

    F2
    JeepBB likes this.
  23. #48  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scalemaster34 View Post
    will the PlayBook really need extensive outside beta testing?
    It will NEED it but it probably won't get it.
  24. dongeel's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    29 Posts
    #49  

    Default BB10 for PB release date - TBA Jan. 30th?

    I desperately want BB10 on my PB!!!
  25. JR0898's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    55 Posts
    #50  

    Default

    I'd be very disappointed if at least a beta wasn't made available just after the launch. Apple release ios upgrades for past devices simultaneously. I personally wouldn't actually care if I didn't get the bb10 experience, I'd be just as happy with an upgrade which brought over the frameworks needed to run bb10 apps.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 6.1 for 9780 release date?
    By AMoftakhar1 in forum BlackBerry Bold 9780
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 12:56 AM
  2. David Heit, VP of Strategy for RIM Release date end of March
    By espresso1967 in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 02:00 PM
  3. bold 9650 for verizon release date not may 27th?
    By rendrop in forum BlackBerry Bold 9650
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 10:04 AM
  4. New OS for 8530, Release Date?
    By jamesckeel in forum BlackBerry Curve 85xx
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 11:15 PM
  5. Desktop Manager for Mac Release Date?
    By birdvet in forum Desktop Software
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2009, 11:11 AM

Posting Permissions