I for one am quite tickled to hear the Jan. 30th date as the launch date for BB10. That said, I didn't see any mention of when the BB10 OS upgrade for the PlayBook will be released.

Fine, but I think most will be with me when I say that on Jan. 30th, us PlayBook owners expect to hear a firm date for PB version of BB10. And I hope most agree that 30 days would be reasonable, so end of February at the latest. I would also hope that as at that release date, the retail stock all be replaced with units that have BB10 already preinstalled.
    mpetrol likes this.
    11-12-12 06:09 PM
    I for one am quite tickled to hear the Jan. 30th date as the launch date for BB10. That said, I didn't see any mention of when the BB10 OS upgrade for the PlayBook will be released.

Fine, but I think most will be with me when I say that on Jan. 30th, us PlayBook owners expect to hear a firm date for PB version of BB10. And I hope most agree that 30 days would be reasonable, so end of February at the latest. I would also hope that as at that release date, the retail stock all be replaced with units that have BB10 already preinstalled.
    You have a lot of HOPE. I HOPE you are rewarded!
    RicThot and vipkyd like this.
    11-12-12 06:20 PM
    RIM as said multiple times it will be a few months before BB10 hits PlayBooks...Expect it sometime during the summer.

PlayBook will probably not even be mentioned. They want the focus on the phones and BB10
    11-12-12 06:25 PM
    i dont expect it officially on the PB until april at the soonest, maybe a beta in march. they have alot of support and work to do to get the phones off the ground first
    peter9477 and bungaboy like this.
    11-12-12 06:34 PM
    I think BB10 will be released for the PlayBook, the earliest, early summer .We might get BB10 BETA a month after BB10 handsets are available for order.

**********SOON***********
    11-12-12 06:41 PM
    Not until summer. Most likely July-August.
    11-12-12 06:45 PM
    Their prior leaked roadmap showed it being released sometime around Q1-Q2 of 2013. Seeing as how they have been mostly on schedule, I would suspect that their timeline for BB10 onto the Playbook be some time in Q2. (I'm saying Q2 instead of Q1-Q2 because I am looking at their flight arrival boards for the SDKs and notice one or two delayed items. As knowing software programming always takes longer than expected. I'm going with a slightly more conservative guess.)
    bungaboy and vipkyd like this.
    11-12-12 07:07 PM
    OKAY guys, I guess I jinxed myself by "wishing" for a February release date for the PB version of BB10

But, actually I intended to focus on their Jan. 30th announcement/launch MUST INCLUDE a firm statement of when the PB upgrade to BB10 will be released.
    11-12-12 07:09 PM
    True! They can't leave us hanging on this info.
    11-12-12 07:15 PM
    I think your expectations are out of whack. The PlayBook was a total flop, so it will remain on the back burner until the market shows genuine enthusiasm for BB10. No PB-specific dates will be announced.

"Most of us" bought our PB for what it can do now. BB10 is just icing on the cake.
    11-12-12 07:20 PM
    OKAY guys, I guess I jinxed myself by "wishing" for a February release date for the PB version of BB10

But, actually I intended to focus on their Jan. 30th announcement/launch MUST INCLUDE a firm statement of when the PB upgrade to BB10 will be released.
    RIM and actual release dates are hit and miss. I think they will stick with the q2 type answer.
    11-12-12 07:34 PM
    I optimistically see the PB combined with a BB10 phone as a potentially awesome duo... once the PB gets BB10. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't try to leverage that with an earlier release of BB10 for the PB, quickly after the 2 new phones come out.
    11-12-12 08:37 PM
    RIM as said multiple times it will be a few months before BB10 hits PlayBooks...Expect it sometime during the summer.

PlayBook will probably not even be mentioned. They want the focus on the phones and BB10
    I don't believe RIM has ever quoted a window on BB10 availability for the Playbook, beyond its release "shortly after the phones". "Shortly" is a pretty vague term, so we'll just have to see.
    BB_Bmore, mpetrol, vipkyd and 1 others like this.
    11-12-12 08:46 PM
    I'll take what they give me when they give it to me. It will be worth the wait!
    turk_oguz likes this.
    11-12-12 08:52 PM
    I am probably the only person who thinks that BB10 for the PlayBook will be here probably in Feb or March. I honestly do not think there will be much of a delay between rolling out the phones and rolling out PB's BB10. I kept saying that it needs "tweaks", but another poster on a different thread used better terminology, it needs some changes in the UI.

The foundation is there, the OS is there, it just needs come changes to the user interface (ie more Active Frames to fit on the screen and what have you). I also think there is a possibility that a beta will be released for the BB10 on the day, or even a slim chance before BB10 phones are released. Both of those options, to me, makes sense. Releasing the beta on the day of the release or press event because they have the OS working and probably already have it in Alpha right now, or before the release to bring some grass roots hype to BB10. After all, if the head of Marketing wants word of mouth sales, then releasing a beta on PB before the phones will get them that.
    PatrickMJS and turk_oguz like this.
    11-12-12 10:04 PM
    I am probably the only person who thinks that BB10 for the PlayBook will be here probably in Feb or March. I honestly do not think there will be much of a delay between rolling out the phones and rolling out PB's BB10. I kept saying that it needs "tweaks", but another poster on a different thread used better terminology, it needs some changes in the UI.

The foundation is there, the OS is there, it just needs come changes to the user interface (ie more Active Frames to fit on the screen and what have you). I also think there is a possibility that a beta will be released for the BB10 on the day, or even a slim chance before BB10 phones are released. Both of those options, to me, makes sense. Releasing the beta on the day of the release or press event because they have the OS working and probably already have it in Alpha right now, or before the release to bring some grass roots hype to BB10. After all, if the head of Marketing wants word of mouth sales, then releasing a beta on PB before the phones will get them that.
    I don't think adapting BB10 to the PlayBook is any kind of heroic undertaking, and no, it probably WON'T take that long. But I doubt there are many RIM staff on it right at the moment. From where I sit, I see more of a manpower issue than anything else.

March maybe (but I'm skeptical). April? Maybe even odds. May? Totally possible; don't rule it out. I would be surprised to see it go later than that.
    11-12-12 11:05 PM
    I don't think adapting BB10 to the PlayBook is any kind of heroic undertaking, and no, it probably WON'T take that long. But I doubt there are many RIM staff on it right at the moment. From where I sit, I see more of a manpower issue than anything else.

March maybe (but I'm skeptical). April? Maybe even odds. May? Totally possible; don't rule it out. I would be surprised to see it go later than that.
    if it goes til may you might as well wait til the big event they have every year in May
    11-12-12 11:52 PM
    Summers a bit much Imo considering it's been baking internally for quite awhile. Like someone else said I'm happy with what I got and BlackBerry10 will be icing on the cake. I'm still curious how RIM will charge for BBM on Playbook wifi. Maybe a subscription like BBM Music is my guess. With video chat in BBM ill for sure be a subscriber. But if I'm already paying for RIM services on my BB10 phone will I have to pay more to use it on Playbook? Will that be separate? Things like this is what I'm looking forward to finding out about.
    11-13-12 12:21 AM
    RIM'S messaging for some time now has been platform specific as well as device specific. Heins and others constantly talk about the mobile computing experience and hint strongly that phones are only part of the platform. Let's say that's not just marketing speak but how RIM is going to position itself going forward. So it makes sense to talk about future products as well as devices when BB10 is launched. That includes tablets, auto and medical platforms and who knows what else. Sure they have to sell phones and that will be the big push but maybe Playbook, as part of the mobile platform of the future, will have a place that day as well. Time will tell.
    PatrickMJS and BB_Bmore like this.
    11-13-12 12:48 AM
    Don't ignore @BlackBerryDev's tweet on BB10 beta for PlayBook releasing ahead of schedule... A beta being released a few weeks into February wound not surprised me.

As for the final OS... April sounds feasible... It will be just a few bug testing and performance tuning... Provided we - the testers - flood them with feedback.
    11-13-12 06:50 AM
    I'm not sure why we are all ignoring the leaked road map which says PlayBook will receive BB10 between Q1 and Q2. They have been on schedule with this road map so far.
    Leaked RIM roadmap shows BlackBerry 10, PlayBook update plans | Gadgets | Geek.com .
    vipkyd likes this.
    01-07-13 06:44 PM
    I'm not sure why we are all ignoring the leaked road map which says PlayBook will receive BB10 between Q1 and Q2. They have been on schedule with this road map so far.
    Leaked RIM roadmap shows BlackBerry 10, PlayBook update plans | Gadgets | Geek.com .
    A lot of people including myself have gone through disappointment by delayed updates, so a lot of people are hesitant to believe this road map. I know they will be coming out with the update sometime between now and march 30th
    01-07-13 07:46 PM
    Pretty sure we wont see bb10 on PB til end of q2 or summer. Anytime before that I will take as a nice surprise
    01-07-13 07:54 PM
    I'm not banking on this by any stretch, but I think it's at least possible that on Jan 30 we'll see new BB10 Playbooks unveiled, maybe with Q2 availability. Current PBs would get the update around the time these come available.
    01-07-13 08:00 PM
    Pretty sure we wont see bb10 on PB til end of q2 or summer. Anytime before that I will take as a nice surprise
    Well get ready for a nice surprise From what I have been told, I was told to expect a BB10 PB update within 2 months of the BB10 launch. The BB developer twitter also made mention that the developer/beta testing for BB10 for PB will be coming out shortly. I'll see if I can dig up the post

Old twitter post from October, but it's still applicable

https://twitter.com/BlackBerryDev/st...tails&tw_p=twt
    Sansu94 and BB_Bmore like this.
    01-07-13 08:03 PM
53 123