hello my fellow CrackBerrians,

just read Kevin's article about BB10 running on our currrent playbook specs and to me it makes sense that it would not run as smooth as what our Z10 neighbors are experiencing currently. I sure hope that BlackBerry has a trade in program like they do with their phones. I would trade in my current PlayBook for a beefed up PlayBook that supports BB10 in its fullest. a slimmed down version of BB10 on our current PlayBooks would be giving in to just being content with what we have. I want to be wowed!!!

would you trade in your PlayBook for a beefed up PlayBook that can handle BB10 in its full glory or be content with a slimmed down version on your current PlayBook?

obviously we would get some kind of credit for our Playbooks I'm hoping for $150
    Sammcn likes this.
    02-06-13 11:56 AM

just read Kevin's article about BB10 running on our currrent playbook specs and to me it makes sense that it would not run as smooth as what our Z10 neighbors are experiencing currently. I sure hope that BlackBerry has a trade in program like they do with their phones. I would trade in my current PlayBook for a beefed up PlayBook that supports BB10 in its fullest. a slimmed down version of BB10 on our current PlayBooks would be giving in to just being content with what we have. I want to be wowed!!!

would you trade in your PlayBook for a beefed up PlayBook that can handle BB10 in its full glory or be content with a slimmed down version on your current PlayBook?

obviously we would get some kind of credit for our Playbooks I'm hoping for $150
    I definitely want some of what you are drinking! Please please!
    02-06-13 12:22 PM

LOL....If RIM or BLACKBERRY is dumb enough to come out with another playbook....then Run don't walk to the nearest exit....BB10 is blackberrys one....and only attempt to reinvigorate its market share.....They have finally realized (i hope) that they are in the 'phone' business....Thats what brought them to the dance....and that's what will (if possible) save them...if they can just get the marketing right, the app supply right, the price point right, the 'buzz' right.....And no amount of CrackBerrians will save them....

From what i'm reading in these forums....Bell seems to be gouging new BB10 owners....(Why anyone would deal with Bell is beyond me)

Black berry is supposed to have what? 79 million subscribers...How many different handsets? How many outdated handsets? My wife has one!...Its useful ...it does what she wants...no need to upgrade...

I love my playbook.... I don't have a blackberry....i have an lg......

thanks...for the rant ... i feel better now....
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-06-13 12:41 PM
    Well, a new tablet (codename Blackforest) is on their "leaked" roadmap. Pretty accurate so far with the Z10 (London) and Q10 (Nevada) out. And the LTE last year. Hopefully the BB10 for PB is before end of Q2.
    BlackBerry 10 device roadmap leaked | News | TechRadar
    02-06-13 01:27 PM
    LOL....If RIM or BLACKBERRY is dumb enough to come out with another playbook....then Run don't walk to the nearest exit....BB10 is blackberrys one....and only attempt to reinvigorate its market share.....They have finally realized (i hope) that they are in the 'phone' business....Thats what brought them to the dance....and that's what will (if possible) save them...if they can just get the marketing right, the app supply right, the price point right, the 'buzz' right.....And no amount of CrackBerrians will save them....

From what i'm reading in these forums....Bell seems to be gouging new BB10 owners....(Why anyone would deal with Bell is beyond me)

Black berry is supposed to have what? 79 million subscribers...How many different handsets? How many outdated handsets? My wife has one!...Its useful ...it does what she wants...no need to upgrade...

I love my playbook.... I don't have a blackberry....i have an lg......

thanks...for the rant ... i feel better now....
    Don't you know, strangely it makes me feel better when I have a rant as well! Mind you so does brandy!

Well, a new tablet (codename Blackforest) is on their "leaked" roadmap. Pretty accurate so far with the Z10 (London) and Q10 (Nevada) out.
    Now we are cooking with gas! I'm not doubting you but my neighbours postman has a daughter that goes to the same boarding school as the daughter of a man that works at LG and his friend says it's called "the redirection of the dodo"
    02-06-13 01:47 PM
    KevinM: "1GB of RAM isn't enough to run BlackBerry 10 smoothly"

Well, who could have ever predicted that scenario!

*cough*
    02-06-13 02:06 PM
    Well, a new tablet (codename Blackforest) is on their "leaked" roadmap. Pretty accurate so far with the Z10 (London) and Q10 (Nevada) out. And the LTE last year. Hopefully the BB10 for PB is before end of Q2.
    BlackBerry 10 device roadmap leaked | News | TechRadar

I don't care what is 'leaked' on their roadmap.....They are leaking money...... Forget the tablet market.they have already proved that they suck at that......'dance with the one that brung ya'....

Just my opinion.....

and we all know what they say about opinions........

and who names their kids
    Thor? anyway....Odin...maybe....
    02-06-13 02:06 PM
    Yeah, no if they want to come up with a beefed up version of the tablet down the road so be it, but first fulfill your promise to this version,
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-06-13 02:15 PM
    Yeah, no if they want to come up with a beefed up version of the tablet down the road so be it, but first fulfill your promise to this version,
    Your statement is close to my heart but I'm not sure RIM understand 'fulfil!. Do you like pate?
    02-06-13 02:21 PM
    Your statement is close to my heart but I'm not sure RIM understand 'fulfil!. Do you like pate?
    Sorry my bad, (keep)
    02-06-13 02:43 PM
    My thoughts are that if BB10 on the PlayBook slows it down or is not smooth because of the hardware limitations, perhaps there should be an easy way to go back to OS2.

Given the commentary running on the BlackBerry Beta Zone, it looks like they are working to make a solid version of BB10 for the PlayBook that will address a lot of the shortcomings seen in the current version. They don't give specifics or a timetable but do promise that we will be pleasantly surprised with the implementation. If they optimize the BB10 for the current PlayBook, it may run just fine with no jerkiness. Obviously, that would require more work than just patching up the code so BB10 will function on the PlayBook with only changes to orientation (landscape by default) and optimized for the larger screen size.

The coming Blackforest device may just be the next tablet, perhaps designed with the business user in mind - perhaps a slightly larger screen with a different height/width ratio and a smaller frame/bezel to keep the overall size comparable. If so, there might not be a need to trade in the PlayBook just yet. It would be nice to have that option though, let's say a $150 credit towards a $500 or $600 premium tablet with much greater functionality than anything else out there.
    02-06-13 03:06 PM
    Forget the tablet market.they have already proved that they suck at that......
    Well I for one would say the one thing te PB most certainly doesn't do is "suck". Blackberry's support and 3rd party support maybe. But you certainly can't blame the hardware and OS for that.
    02-06-13 03:19 PM
    So I've now read Kevin's article and if he's right that bb10 requires more RAM and processing power than a playbook has then I definitely don't want it on my playbook! I'm pretty happy with the playbook as it is and if they just do a few improvements rather than bb10 in its entirety than that would be great. Also he has a point about whether peek etc is required when there is so much more screen on a pb than on a phone.

Of course *if* blackberry bring out a new tablet that would be nice - except having to find the money to buy one. Hopefully there's life in the old pb yet.
    02-06-13 03:21 PM
    love my current PB and understand kevins article. i am looking to upgrade the PB though and i hope they come out with a newer PB then the LTE version since the specs of the Z10 and Q10 are just as good as the LTE PB. i want a new PB with dual 2ghz and 2-4gb of ram! that would be buttery smooth!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-06-13 03:23 PM
    Question is what fraction of the market is influenced in the choice of phone by haviing a tablet running essentially the same operating system.
    02-06-13 03:29 PM
    Question is what fraction of the market is influenced in the choice of phone by haviing a tablet running essentially the same operating system.
    OMG at last an easy question I can understand!

Answer NONE
    02-06-13 03:35 PM
    That would require a slimmed-down BB10 (whatever that would look like), given that BB10 apparently does not run well on one gig of ram. Are you willing to put up with that?
    02-06-13 03:41 PM
    That would require a slimmed-down BB10 (whatever that would look like), given that BB10 apparently does not run well on one gig of ram. Are you willing to put up with that?
    Ah another one! A slimmed down version of the playbook, enter the new Z10! Violla!
    02-06-13 03:50 PM
    Someone who owned a Dev Alpha claimed that BB10 ran pretty well on 1G.

The PB doesn't need the Hub. Do away with the air browser and move on to the html5 based one. The PB doesn't require the radio communications stack. The Z10 needs 2G of RAM to run all that stuff concurrently including multiple running apps. The PlayBook's demands for resources aren't nearly as great.

A quicker browser, full bridge functionality, BB10 apps and an improved native file system are all that I want. The existing UI is great. Call the new OS "PlayBook OS10".
    Revampd likes this.
    02-06-13 03:55 PM
    s_o_m: An illogical answer to a relatively standard question facing any organization trying to decide whether vertical extension of product line is profitable or even necessary for survival. Have another young man.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-06-13 04:00 PM
    s_o_m: An illogical answer to a relatively standard question facing any organization trying to decide whether vertical extension of product line is profitable or even necessary for survival. Have another young man.
    I'm thinking that tablets are part of BB's plan as has been explicitly stated by management. However, TH did say that all existing PlayBooks would be updated to BB10. OTOH, he also said that profitability in the tablet space was difficult. Any work done updating the PlayBook OS will benefit future tablet offerings.
    Motherboard2010 likes this.
    02-06-13 04:10 PM
    I want a browser that doesn't constantly checkerboard and stall, I want a file system that works, I want to be able to send a file without having to sort thru thousands to find the one I want to send, I want to be able to use IM apps over bridge, I want to be able to sort browser bookmark.

I don't care what they call it but fix the damn thing already.
    Revampd likes this.
    02-06-13 04:27 PM
    The hub is not needed on the playbook right there is your Ram savings. As it stands now the current 2.1 is still buggy and lags more often than not. Basically 2 years later it's still a BETA tablet that's never been fixed! The playbook was pretty much a test bed for QNX. If Blackberry would have put as much time into the playbook as they did the Q and Z 10 it would have sold decently. It's a half arsed playbook that never took off because of a non finished OS. That has many problems still years later.

That being said they still rushed the Z10 out to market and still playing catchup to get the bugs fixed.
    stego and brianatbb like this.
    02-06-13 04:57 PM
    Well I for one would say the one thing te PB most certainly doesn't do is "suck". Blackberry's support and 3rd party support maybe. But you certainly can't blame the hardware and OS for that.

I love the playbook....i mean they suck at Implementation of the playbook.....
    02-06-13 05:24 PM
    The hub is not needed on the playbook right there is your Ram savings. As it stands now the current 2.1 is still buggy and lags more often than not. Basically 2 years later it's still a BETA tablet that's never been fixed! The playbook was pretty much a test bed for QNX. If Blackberry would have put as much time into the playbook as they did the Q and Z 10 it would have sold decently. It's a half arsed playbook that never took off because of a non finished OS. That has many problems still years later.

That being said they still rushed the Z10 out to market and still playing catchup to get the bugs fixed.

YES!
    02-06-13 05:28 PM
41 12