Question for long time RIM users, those that eat /sleep all that is RIM....

2012-11

New to all this RIM stuff..

I currently have a 64GB PlayBook (RIM-PLAYBOOK64) in transit to me as we speak, if it works out for me I'd like to obtain a couple more (2 for usage, plus a spare or two)..
    I'm reading "rumors" of "old" (current units) getting "updated" to BB10 OS when it rolls out.

I think if anything seeing a major OS upgrade (BB10 OS) that adds any increased usability /new functions to *current PlayBooks isn't going to happen as is would extend the useful lifespan of the (current / EOL) product, thereby CANNIBALIZING sales of the new wiz-bang next generation units with BB10 OS installed from the get-go.

It has been my experience with other vendors it is highly unlikely units running 2.xxx will gain access to a (free) BB10 OS upgrade... that the rumors are just rumors. In the end prior (current) customers will not get the new OS.

Q1: In the past has RIM rolled out a next generation OS to "last generation" items?
    Q2: Are Playbooks being phased out in the USA market?
    Q3: Are they still being *produced?

It appears it's a EOL item (End of Life) as it's "Out of Stock" in the USA... Google search indicates fire-sale pricing, Staples, Office Max shows no listing, All the Office Depots are showing out of stock.... BestBuy is showing nothing but * "refurbs"... 64GB model included

* I could see lower capacity units being phased out, or showing as "refurbs"..

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 11-09-12 at 10:43 AM.
    jsdhornby likes this.
    11-09-12 10:29 AM
    The only model phased out is the 16GB and current PlayBook's will be upgraded to BB10 after BB10 launch.

No worries in getting more than one
    11-09-12 10:42 AM
    Its not rumours, RIM have confirmed all Playbooks will get BB10 sometime after launch.

When sometime is a little open ended but at least its a confirmation that they intend to maintain support for the PB.
    11-09-12 11:16 AM
    No rumors. PlayBook WILL
    be updated to BlackBerry10.
    bluetroll and bldshd like this.
    11-09-12 12:18 PM
    Ok,

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "rumors"...

Q: Based upon prior situations... (Past history and anything you guys have read on the subject) will RIM be charging for this "update".

Seems to me they would want all units running the same OS version.

11-09-12 01:09 PM
    No they will not charge unless they lose their minds again and want to be sold off.
    Sriman likes this.
    11-09-12 01:16 PM
    Well for one of your questions RIM has updated items with a OS for example the 9300 had OS5 when it came out and a bit later they released OS6 the jump to OS6 was free.

But i highly doubt that BB10 will be on existing handsets for only simple fact ... Their not up to speed spec wise.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    11-09-12 01:20 PM
    Ok,

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "rumors"...

Q: Based upon prior situations... (Past history and anything you guys have read on the subject) will RIM be charging for this "update".

Seems to me they would want all units running the same OS version.

If RIM tries to charge for the update, they will not need help to hit that last nail to their coffin...
    11-09-12 01:44 PM
    But i highly doubt that BB10 will be on existing handsets for only simple fact ... Their not up to speed spec wise.
    The only difference of consequence between BlackBerry PlayBook WiFi Edition and BlackBerry PlayBook 4G/LTE Edition is 0.5 GHz increase in CPU speed. If BlackBerry OS 10 NEEDS a 1.5 GHz processor then Research In Motion designed the software poorly. Period.
    11-09-12 01:56 PM
    Well for one of your questions RIM has updated items with a OS for example the 9300 had OS5 when it came out and a bit later they released OS6 the jump to OS6 was free.

The specs of the current PB are in line with the specs of newer and brand new tablets out there (and better than some). The current units will handle the new OS just fine.
    11-09-12 01:57 PM

2012-11

New to all this RIM stuff..

I currently have a 64GB PlayBook (RIM-PLAYBOOK64) in transit to me as we speak, if it works out for me I'd like to obtain a couple more (2 for usage, plus a spare or two)..
    I'm reading "rumors" of "old" (current units) getting "updated" to BB10 OS when it rolls out.

I think if anything seeing a major OS upgrade (BB10 OS) that adds any increased usability /new functions to *current PlayBooks isn't going to happen as is would extend the useful lifespan of the (current / EOL) product, thereby CANNIBALIZING sales of the new wiz-bang next generation units with BB10 OS installed from the get-go.

It has been my experience with other vendors it is highly unlikely units running 2.xxx will gain access to a (free) BB10 OS upgrade... that the rumors are just rumors. In the end prior (current) customers will not get the new OS.

Q1: In the past has RIM rolled out a next generation OS to "last generation" items?

It appears it's a EOL item (End of Life) as it's "Out of Stock" in the USA... Google search indicates fire-sale pricing, Staples, Office Max shows no listing, All the Office Depots are showing out of stock.... BestBuy is showing nothing but * "refurbs"... 64GB model included

* I could see lower capacity units being phased out, or showing as "refurbs"..

With regards to "CANNABALIZING" sales, there really aren't that many PB's out there to really worry about lost upgrade sales. Also, I believe that TH and RIM know that their loyal BB fans are, and have been, their bread and butter over the last couple of years, so telling them that the time they put in "beta testing", and suffering through the PB growing pains ends in paying for a new tablet is out ot the question. They (we) will be treated with the upgrade and at no additional cost.

No, they are not being phased out of the US market. Just earlier today someone posted a thread stating that Walmart has them in stock and selling them. Also, they have recently launced their 4G/LTE PB so they are still making them for market. The reason they are out of stock at the retailers you mentioned is due to the price they listed at. I mean really..... for that price, you really can't go wrong. Even if you don't like it all that much, it was only $150. That's what made me finally take the leap and I'm happy I did. Funny thing is... now I keep running into people who did the exact same thing. They saw the price, jumped on it, and are now hooked. It really is a great product and it's taken the approach of selling at, or at least close to, cost, to get them in peoples hands. The word is spreading and it is a possitive one.
    11-09-12 02:22 PM
    The dev alpha A has the same chip as PlayBook wifi while dev alpha B has same chip as PlayBook 4G.

The PlayBook's specs will handle BlackBerry10. If they couldn't, would RIM say PlayBook will get BlackBerry10? Probably not.
    bldshd likes this.
    11-09-12 02:22 PM
    Rim has already stated that the PB would be updated,
    11-09-12 03:07 PM
    If RIM tries to charge for the update, they will not need help to hit that last nail to their coffin...
    Like RIM's survival is dependent on the PlayBook!?!

I think not. And neither are they anywhere near a coffin. I think you've been swilling a bit too much Apple Kool-Aid from the lemming press.

Rim doesn't need any of our opinions either way. There's enough BlackBerry faithful in the world to keep them alive with or without the PlayBook. Also there's enough law enforcement organizations (globally) eyeing the PlayBook for mobile in car data communication to replace expensive Panasonic ToughBooks to keep the PlayBook viable as a commercial device. All that is required is a text based Unix client or web app which is already in place.

Finally no mobile OS provider has charged for an upgrade yet and it would set a precedence that would rock the mobile world. It would be foolish for any mobile company to do and just as foolish to imply that it might happen.

You might try a nice cup of tea.

As to the OP I would expect RIM to restock the market place with PlayBooks that are preloaded with BB10.
    Last edited by Zildjian71; 11-09-12 at 05:30 PM. Reason: To answer the OP
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    11-09-12 05:13 PM
    Highly doubt that the current PlayBook will be restocked preloaded with BlackBerry10. Look for BlackForrest to be the next tablet from Rim providing BlackBerry10 does well. I think the current PlayBook will continue to sell until stock is depleted and that will be that for this generation PlayBook.

Although Rims survival does not depend on PlayBook it would be foolish to charge for an upgrade to a tablet that a lot of folks paid close to a 1000 dollars for already.

I truly believe we are dealing with a different Rim now. This Rim seems to actually listen to its customer and lets not forget Rim is looking to get BlackBerry10 out there and into the hands of people. Boulben himself said they will rely heavily on word of mouth for BlackBerry10. Why put a bad taste in peoples mouths if thats your plan? Rim put itself in a position where it needs to prove itself to folks now and like it or not thats just the way it is. So for anyone worried ..dont,Rim wants you to have BlackBerry10 and they want you to show it to your friends
    Rodojo and WeAreNotAlone like this.
    11-09-12 09:04 PM

The only difference of consequence between BlackBerry PlayBook WiFi Edition and BlackBerry PlayBook 4G/LTE Edition is 0.5 GHz increase in CPU speed. If BlackBerry OS 10 NEEDS a 1.5 GHz processor then Research In Motion designed the software poorly. Period.
    Pacman did say existing handsets, not existing PlayBooks. BB10 will be on existing PlayBooks but not on existing handsets.
    11-10-12 09:40 AM

Yes. OS 4.5, 5.0, 6.0 went backwards. Likewise, RIM has a new PlayBook, but the OS 2.1 release works on the old PlayBook and they've said PlayBook is getting BB10.

There could be two pieces to this: 1. Is RIM discontinuing the PlayBook; or 2. Are specific resellers not carrying the PlayBook line anymore. If anything right now, it's the latter.

The 16 GB is sold out and not being made anymore. the 32 GB and 64 GB are still available as far as I know. They also just released the LTE and HSPA versions of the 1.5 GHZ PlayBook.

When has RIM ever charged for an upgrade?

According to what data? Why do people insist on pulling 'facts' out of their rearend?
    11-10-12 03:20 PM
    I have a pb that is going to get bb10. When it gets old ill get another one if they still have them, or if they have a new model. That's all I care about
    11-10-12 03:47 PM
    I think idea of updating Playbooks to BB10 is to increase the user base of BB10, thus creating additional incentive for app developers to develop for BB10. The positives of having a larger (albeit not that much larger) user base outweighs the negatives of "cannibalized sales" as you put it.
    sleepngbear and middbrew like this.
    11-10-12 05:21 PM
    I think idea of updating Playbooks to BB10 is to increase the user base of BB10, thus creating additional incentive for app developers to develop for BB10. The positives of having a larger (albeit not that much larger) user base outweighs the negatives of "cannibalized sales" as you put it.
    +1

I hope RIM has the smarts to look at the big picture (EG: The more users the better)
    11-11-12 12:41 AM
    Pacman did say existing handsets, not existing PlayBooks. BB10 will be on existing PlayBooks but not on existing handsets.
    Ah, yes. Point 1 was an implicit reference to smartphones because Point 2 mentioned the BlackBerry PlayBook explicitly. Although I thought my response was directly about the tablet.
    11-11-12 01:21 AM
    Phones are what will determine RIM's survival. The Playbook is a tag-a-long. Don't think they will keep the playbook from getting BB10 but possibly some things could run only on phones. Hardware-wise what system is anticipated for phones? And if phones are successful expect a new better tablet that is lighter, fasger and less power hungry.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    11-11-12 01:58 AM