View Poll Results: Should RIM introduce multiple models with BB10 or only one phone model with BB10 ?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • One Model

22 18.64%
  • Multiple Models

96 81.36%
    Should RIM introduce just one phone with BB10, like iPhone, or should they introduce many phones, like Bold, Curve etc. ? I personally believe RIM should have only one phone.
    05-01-12 08:51 PM
    A bold type of course!
    05-01-12 09:26 PM
    BB10 with physical keys.
    rotorwrench and mzceetee like this.
    05-01-12 09:28 PM
    BB10 with physical keys.
    They will Byul but the first BlackBerry 10 phone will be touchscreen only
    05-01-12 09:30 PM
    I know hihih.^^
    05-01-12 09:31 PM
    Should RIM introduce just one phone with BB10, like iPhone, or should they introduce many phones, like Bold, Curve etc. ? I personally believe RIM should have only one phone.
    Theoretically, since the BB OSes have been restricted to RIM's hardware (as far as I know - I've been wrong a lot lately ) they could try a more conservative approach and release one or two models and stick with it. This would provide the same advantage iOS has in app development where the apps are more reliably fully compatible on the hardware rather than devs needing to adjust their apps for multiple hardware configurations like Android devs do.

I actually would love to see this happen. Maybe it would lead to RIM leading the market down the road.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    05-01-12 09:39 PM
    I think it would be best to stick with as few hardware configurations as possible, this will make it easier on developers, as they only have to develop one or two configurations of their app. If RIM does what they are doing right now with BB5-7 devices, tons of screen resolutions, CPUs, RAM, etc, they will kill the appeal for developers.
    yanicmb likes this.
    05-01-12 10:34 PM
    I say three devices... One all touch, one bold style (same aspect ratio) and one entry level for emerging markets or cheap option in mainstream....Having only one alienates RIMs core keyboard lovers or the obvious market need for all touch. Don't follow the other fruit by destroying individualism or the robot by being all over the place. Happy medium
    Last edited by Trick_Deck; 05-01-12 at 11:51 PM.
    Mr.Monty and Eastsix like this.
    05-01-12 11:48 PM
    I say three devices... One all touch, one bold style (same aspect ratio) and one entry level for emerging markets or cheap option in mainstream....Having only one alienates RIMs core keyboard lovers or the obvious market need for all touch. Don't follow the other fruit by destroying individualism or the robot by being all over the place. Happy medium
    I agree, but four not three - you need touch and physical on both top end AND entry level devices imo.
    05-02-12 12:00 AM
    Only one. I read where RIM says they will include a physical keyboard model, but even that they should cancel. They should stick to just one phone. It would ire a lot of people based on how ired Apple haters are that Apple maintains a stubborn and strict business model, but it might well put RIM on top.
    05-02-12 12:03 AM
    I agree, but four not three - you need touch and physical on both top end AND entry level devices imo.
    I actually had in mind all devices utilizing touch just maybe have the the entry level one run like a BB10 lite or something
    05-02-12 12:03 AM
    BB10 is a single unified platform.What we've seen today is only a small glimpse of what's to come.

The wait will be worth it.
    05-02-12 01:26 AM
    i would think they will rationalise the product lines
    tablet ( maybe 2 sizes)
    phones ( curve/bold/storm lines) --> cheap (curve), professional (bold/torch slider) and touchscreen (storm or just touch)
    peripheral (music gateway etc)
    car entertainment/ICE (gps/map/phone interface etc)
    05-02-12 01:34 AM
    A model with a camera bump to accommodate a xenon flash and a big sensor.
    05-02-12 02:14 AM
    I think there should be 3 models of BB10. ....All touch, Keypad+touch, and Keypad only, putting resources in 3 vs 23 (exaggeration) is a much better business strategy.
    dendroica likes this.
    05-02-12 02:28 AM
    They should really simplify their phone line-up. For the average person, seeing all the BB7 phones is just a confusing mess. They really only need 3 phones. A high-end all touch device (Torch), a high-end qwerty keyboard device (Bold), and a low-end qwerty keyboard device (Curve). Anything more than that is just superfluous.
    05-02-12 02:55 AM
    RIM should really introduce 2 phones:

- All-touch screen
    - All-touch screen (thicker, but with a slideout keyboard)

Unless RIM can implement a Bold type device with the same aspect ratio as their large screen counterparts, I don't think we're going to see a BlackBerry 10-Bold type device... at least not similar to the Bold 9900/30 we have now since it has a much smaller screen that is unusable for apps and games developed for larger aspect ratios.

Classic BlackBerry (BlackBerry 7, or maybe BackBerry 8? 9?) should cater to emerging/messaging markets for some years to come.
    05-02-12 03:19 AM
    the confusing new torches (9860/9810?) naming system is wrong. a simplified line up would certainly help - curve, bold, torch.
    05-02-12 03:23 AM
    3 models I agree...
    05-02-12 03:44 AM
    1 model, full touchscreen flagship BB10 device, keep the 7.1 devices as entry level phones.
    05-02-12 10:14 AM
    RIM needs a knock out of the park device! A screen that is 5" or greater! There are too many 4" devices on the market! Step out on the wild side RIM!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-02-12 11:10 AM
    Who would only want one model to chose from? That's like saying you want someone else to make all your life decisions for you. I love how they have a whole slew of phones to choose from! Having only one would disappoint so many users. Some prefer the bold 9000/9900 form factor, many love the 97XX size and feel, or the 9800/9810 size was good to me while I used it.

As it is, they don't have that many phones that are current. They just have a lot of older models that are quality and still in service. I know someone who still has a big blue 7000 series. They love it - not because its super new and awesome and zomg it has skypes - but because they can rely on it and it hasn't let them down.

If you want someone to make your choices for you, there's already a manufacturer that would love to have you join their iArmy of close-minded haters/crap-talkers (not assuming or generalizing, that's been proven to myself many times in the wilds as well as on CB forums). If you want more choice than you could even fathom, there's a greenbot ready to beam you up! However if you want enough choice to be different and still keep that quality Blackberry feel and function, you know where to get it.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    05-02-12 11:49 AM
    Who would only want one model to chose from? That's like saying you want someone else to make all your life decisions for you. I love how they have a whole slew of phones to choose from! Having only one would disappoint so many users. Some prefer the bold 9000/9900 form factor, many love the 97XX size and feel, or the 9800/9810 size was good to me while I used it.

As it is, they don't have that many phones that are current. They just have a lot of older models that are quality and still in service. I know someone who still has a big blue 7000 series. They love it - not because its super new and awesome and zomg it has skypes - but because they can rely on it and it hasn't let them down.

If you want someone to make your choices for you, there's already a manufacturer that would love to have you join their iArmy of close-minded haters/crap-talkers (not assuming or generalizing, that's been proven to myself many times in the wilds as well as on CB forums). If you want more choice than you could even fathom, there's a greenbot ready to beam you up! However if you want enough choice to be different and still keep that quality Blackberry feel and function, you know where to get it.
    Amen to all of the above ^^^ best way I've heard it put for a long time +10000000000
    05-02-12 11:55 AM
    I think bb needs to continue with multiple models hitting multiple different demographics, full touch, bold style, curve, etc
    05-02-12 11:59 AM
    I'm for multiple models for personal reasons. We all know there will be an all touch model, but as much as I was impressed with the touch prototype, I still prefer a physical kb. To me it is as much a BB trademark as the logo is. Can there ever be a line of BB phones without a qwerty kb?
    05-02-12 12:26 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD