Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kandoo-BB
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB10 has android app support just like current playbook? IF so, based on which android??

Does blackberry 10 also support android apps?

If so, what version of android is used in the android player? Right now, it's gingerbread, so all the android apps side loaded have phone layout, and I really hate that..and not to mention, a lot of apps' UI is ugly.

I really hope it's at least based on ICS, so that we can have tablet layout, and cleaner UI. If you've been using android for a long time like I have, you will know what I mean..

it has the same support as the PB. Gingerbread.
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by sw6lee View Post

If so, what version of android is used in the android player? Right now, it's gingerbread, so all the android apps side loaded have phone layout, and I really hate that..and not to mention, a lot of apps' UI is ugly.

I really hope it's at least based on ICS, so that we can have tablet layout, and cleaner UI. If you've been using android for a long time like I have, you will know what I mean..
    I have the latest bb10 build on the dev alpha and can confirm it's still Android 2.3 Gingerbread.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,860 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

From what i understand they are chasing the jelly bean code, who knows , could this be one of the surprises on Jan 30? That would be pretty cool if i do say so myself
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Oh my..still gingerbread.. that's a really disappointing news..

@BB-Bmore, I don't really expect jelly bean, I just wish it was based on ICS..but I hope they do surprise us!

But may I ask you, how come you are suspecting that they are chasing jelly bean code? Did you hear someone mentioning briefly or something? I'm curious!

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28AA7FFB

Default Re: BB10 has android app support just like current playbook? IF so, based on which android??

Wouldn't the phone layout work better on BB10 phones than the tablet layout?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by RedxD View Post
    Wouldn't the phone layout work better on BB10 phones than the tablet layout?
    the layout usually depends on the screen size of the device when it's ICS and above. Well, actually not just screen size but DPI on android. DPI will determine the density of pixels on the UI, so I think higher DPI, the UI will be bigger, and vice versa. So With our tablet screen size, and normal DPI that's set as default (not that we can change it anyway cause playbook is not android, and only rooted android can change that), tablet optimized ICS and above apps will show tablet layout on our tablet too, that is IF BB10 has android player based on ICS and above.

So BB10 with small screen will have phone layout for the ICS and above optimized apps.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28AA7FFB

Default Re: BB10 has android app support just like current playbook? IF so, based on which android??

the layout usually depends on the screen size of the device when it's ICS and above. Well, actually not just screen size but DPI on android. DPI will determine the density of pixels on the UI, so I think higher DPI, the UI will be bigger, and vice versa. So With our tablet screen size, and normal DPI that's set as default (not that we can change it anyway cause playbook is not android, and only rooted android can change that), tablet optimized ICS and above apps will show tablet layout on our tablet too, that is IF BB10 has android player based on ICS and above.

So BB10 with small screen will have phone layout for the ICS and above optimized apps.
    I didn't know that! Thanks for explaining it
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    PIN
    non ya fn

I heard it in an interview of a RIM employee that I can't remember the name of but I can tell you that I saw the video on N4bb during BlackBerry Jam America
    Oh my..still gingerbread.. that's a really disappointing news..

@BB-Bmore, I don't really expect jelly bean, I just wish it was based on ICS..but I hope they do surprise us!

But may I ask you, how come you are suspecting that they are chasing jelly bean code? Did you hear someone mentioning briefly or something? I'm curious!

Thanks.
    CrackBerry User

Does anyone know if RIM will give a BB10 look and feel to the Android player for launch (navigation bar and menu)?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    PIN
    non ya fn

Have no idea but the emphasis won't be on Android player unless they've done something amazing with it. The showcase will be all about BlackBerry10. We haven't seen the real goodness that is BlackBerry10. They have been saving it all for the launch. I have a feeling that no one will care about Android Player after January 30th.
    BerryClever likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I will care about the Android player if the App World continues to suck . . .
    CrackBerry Addict

I think a little down the road after BB10 comes out that the Android player will finally fall to the waist side. This time around RIM is perusing big name apps, which in turn will help make a bigger user base and the smaller apps will follow.

I think RIM will moderately support the Android player for a bit until they can just remove it and clean up their app store. Maybe they will keep it for side loading for "advanced users" only but get rid of the ported apps in App World. I honestly think that the Android player was an ugly necessity but a necessity that won't be needed down the road.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

I would assume that BB10 would have the Android Runtime based on GingerBread... Having JellyBean is too much to expect for.. ICS is just about fine.. Hope they are able to do it.. I doubt if RIM has the band width to do that.
    Thanks,
    Sriman
    Meeting Minutes Pro - Become a Pro at attending, organizing, tracking, manging and distributing meetings
    Meeting Minutes - A 3 day trial version of Meeting Minutes Pro
    www.srimanapps.com
    CrackBerry Master

I for one would be rather happy if the Android player got a significant update for BB10; not just updated to ICS/JB base, but a native look and feel (Android is extremely easy to theme, you can change most UI elements) and ideally support for native code (which would mean a huge library of games and apps working, including Skype and possibly Netflix [there may be additional DRM related required for Netflix, not sure]; while hopefully the big apps will get native releases for BB10, there will almost certainly be plenty that don't, and for them it would be nice to have an alternative option).

But all this is wishful thinking, I don't know of any official word on the matter from RIM. Although they have definitely said they want to keep a few surprises for the BB10 launch. I have a feeling however those will be mostly related to the OS itself, and perhaps native apps, rather than the Android runtime.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    PIN
    non ya fn

Two of the surprises that aren't really surprising...photo editor and video editor. They are supposed to be pretty darn cool.