So, one and all, what are current expectations on pricing for BB10 on the existing PlayBook when the time comes? Will it be a freebie or will RIM be clawing back some lost revenue after the price cuts? Your thoughts would be gratefully received.
    06-06-12 05:39 PM
    got to be free as the software on the pb is basically bb10 already
    06-06-12 05:49 PM
    It'll be free.. they wouldn't get very far by trying to charge for it.
    06-06-12 05:52 PM
    Another banner needed.
    06-06-12 05:54 PM
    Has to be free.

Not so great to launch your future and force people to pay for it.
    06-06-12 05:55 PM
    i remeber IOS3 came out and apple charged �7 they never got much updates and a week or so after they released IOS 3.1 for free, and i think RIM is clever enough not to follow the apple way
    06-06-12 05:56 PM
    I think it will be free for sure.
    06-06-12 06:04 PM
    It ought to be free. Looking forward to it !
    06-06-12 06:08 PM
    I would pay $5-10 for it if they decided to go that route and features justified it. If we all thought about how much we have spent on apps (some not so useful), it shouldnt be a deal breaker.

But i like free too.
    06-07-12 12:01 AM
    YES, it will be available for FREE. That is all.
    06-07-12 01:00 AM
    YES, it will be available for FREE. That is all.
    Way back... someone asked the same question over OS2 and there was a response where someone had looked hard at RIM's PB terms and conditions with a legal eye.

What they posted was that the T&C boiled down to: any PB OS update must be free to all end-users, but that the timing of the OS update, including whether any OS update happened at all, was entirely up to RIM.

So, by the same logic, BB10 (as a PB OS update) will be free. Though don't hold your breath, it won't come to PB until (some non-specific time) after the BB10 phone release according to the below from RIM.

"We've said publicly a number of times that our first BB10 handset will be available towards the end of 2012, and that's still firmly the case," Rob Orr, RIM's VP of product management told us.

"At some point after the launch we'll bring BB10 to our PlayBooks, yes."
    Last edited by JeepBB; 06-07-12 at 03:24 AM.
    ckbadger likes this.
    06-07-12 03:19 AM
    free.
    10car
    06-07-12 04:33 AM
    i remeber IOS3 came out and apple charged �7 they never got much updates and a week or so after they released IOS 3.1 for free, and i think RIM is clever enough not to follow the apple way
    I paid for that! Didn't know they made it free a few weeks after..

RIM better not do the same
    06-07-12 04:44 AM
    Pretty sure it will be free..
    I would think that if BB10 on Playbook takes well with consumers they can push up the price of present Playbooks a bit..and maybe release those 4G version with an original price tag they had..
    pididipop likes this.
    06-07-12 07:10 AM
    It should be free... RIM has no luxury of another bad publicity...
    pididipop likes this.
    06-07-12 07:25 AM
    I have other issues that are more pressing than whether they will charge or an update that is still MONTHS away.
    06-07-12 08:56 AM
    The Playbook update should definitely be free, there is no question since at the moment the Playbook has more of a beta OS than a solid BB10 like OS. I do however see this as a future option that could be made standard. Same with App Developers charging per major update. It seems like the way to go from a business perspective since that is how it is with, with Apple computers and Windows computers. They don't give away major releases for free so why should it happen on mobile? Same with Apps, they only get a one time charge and in-app purchases so why can they not charge a fee to upgrade? It seems logical in my mind since Mobile Computing is booming and I cannot see the extra charges killing the mobile industry. There would have to be an absolute perfect plan to implement this idea and it would have to be by many companies and not just one and it especially cannot be RIM because that just would not help them at all.

I would not be overly happy if this did happen but, from a business perspective I can certainly see it happening within the next few years if not sooner.
    06-07-12 09:33 AM
    It'll be free.. they wouldn't get very far by trying to charge for it.
    Again I agree with Bla1ze. I will be more blunt; it would be stupid for rim to charge for an OS upgrade at this juncture in their business cycle. They are losing support in the third party world, the playbook already lacks the major sought-after apps that even hand held gaming devices are getting, their stock is in the toilet and now they are reporting losses.... The dumbest thing they could do now is charge for OS upgrades.

Which definition, giving their history over the last few years, means they probably will though.
    06-07-12 09:42 AM
    I was going to post another "not this again" facepalm... but...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-07-12 11:51 AM
    Lol! Yeah I doubt RIM can afford to pi** off the pb owners it has. They'll show our Playbooks some love....but not for awhile.
    06-07-12 11:58 AM
    Again I agree with Bla1ze. I will be more blunt; it would be stupid for rim to charge for an OS upgrade at this juncture in their business cycle. They are losing support in the third party world, the playbook already lacks the major sought-after apps that even hand held gaming devices are getting, their stock is in the toilet and now they are reporting losses.... The dumbest thing they could do now is charge for OS upgrades.

Which definition, giving their history over the last few years, means they probably will though.
    BlackBerry OS 5.0 to BlackBerry 6 was a free upgrade.
    06-07-12 01:11 PM
    When has RIM EVER charged for a software update? Or any mobile company for that matter.
    06-07-12 09:35 PM
    It should be free... RIM has no luxury of another bad publicity...
    Yes, I think free
    06-07-12 10:20 PM
    It will definitely be free. RIM will want as many BB10 fans as possible, and they know they will hear it from all the current PB owners if they are forced to pay.
    06-08-12 11:12 AM
    To be fair..and because I love RIM, I would be willing to buy a share in the company for an early bb10 playbook upgrade.
    06-08-12 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD