Alec Saunders recently organized a 38 hours "porthaton", and just announced on Twitter he had hit 15.000 aps

Most comments I read say that this created a multitude of apps... made in 38 hours.

I.e. the appworld will already be useless and unusable even before start.

What do you think ? Speak freely, brave Crackberry fans, here you who enjoy the best moderation against personal attacks in the world.
    el31415 likes this.
    01-15-13 08:46 AM
    IMHO the OP is trolling, so no response warranted.
    01-15-13 08:59 AM
    Well.... darn if you do.... darn if you do not.... been watching this issue for a while and can only smile..... whether we like it or not BB will be judged on how many apps there are at launch.... whether they are quality or not will not be the issue at launch.... it will be the next gripe about the ecco system..... bottion line... limited apps at launch ala wp8..... bb is dead in the water....all we can hope is RIM can push all the garbage to the bottom of the pile so to speak... Waste enough time in Apple land searching through the crud......
    Malicab, Snap51 and robkd like this.
    01-15-13 08:59 AM
    It was called a port-a-thon. The key word here is PORT. This means that the apps already existed on another ecosystem and the devs who participated only needed a bit of handholding to help them port their existing apps to BlackBerry Worlds. These were not apps that were created in 38 hours! Also, this was not for big devs as RIM is working with those directly one-on-one.

In my opinion, the port-a-thon worked very well in showing devs that it's easy to bring their apps to BlackBerry.
    tdaye, MTL, gambler_mf and 24 others like this.
    01-15-13 09:25 AM
    I have memories of similar escapades around the PlayBook app store.
    What ended up happening was an influx of truly awful apps, and an acknowledgement from Alec Saunders that they had to work harder to make sure the crap didnt filter through.
    Hopefully theyve worked on it, but thousands of apps in a few hours from a campaign targetting smaller rather than larger devs does worry me, and I wouldnt be surprised to see some stinkers, lets hope theres good apps to balance it out.
    01-15-13 09:53 AM
    Not everyone is looking these large app's, I have no use for Netflex or Skype, some of these smaller apps have turn out to be useful, to each his own.
    01-15-13 10:24 AM
    IMHO the OP is trolling, so no response warranted.
    Yet you replied. Silence would have been the appropriate response given your assessment of the value of the opinion expressed by the OP.
    01-15-13 10:46 AM
    I appreciate the effort and too soon to pass judgement for me. Besides, depending on the apps, I won't use any battery hog apps that will require recharging my BB several times a day.

sent from my sexy PlayBook using Tapatalk2 (*_~)
    01-15-13 10:54 AM
    Op has a valid IMHO. Hope he's wrong, but...
    01-15-13 11:32 AM
    I don't know the solution to this, frankly.

On one hand, RIM not only wants to build an app portfolio, they want to gain mindshare in the mobile developer community. Being overly-bureaucratic doesn't help this cause at all. On the other hand, no, we don't want an app store filled with garbage.

A big question with this, though, is how we define "garbage". Do we want to start exercising a lot of subjective control over what constitutes a "good" app?

Personally, I'd rather have an ecosystem where any honest developer can offer any honest app he wants to, even if it never gets downloaded. Let RIM run checks to confirm that the app functions as advertised and isn't spyware/malware/unacceptably buggy, and leave it at that, ok?
    The Furbz, taz323, ubizmo and 15 others like this.
    01-15-13 11:45 AM
    You're still here? Thought you left for 'superior' Android weeks ago...
    01-15-13 12:26 PM
    ***in my best Bugs Bunny voice*** mmmmmm,, could beee,,, i don't think it'd be unusable,,, i just hope it's organized better,,, even w/ catagories/ratings/best free/best paid/new/duplicate listings (same app, different category) etc., i go cross-eyed browsing in the current appworld,,, it never comes up the same way twice, so i end up going thru 1/2 the stuff i've already seen to see the other 1/2 that just got mixed in,,, you could spend an entire day in there & still not see it all,,, good options would be to be able to browse by above xxx rating/price range, free, .99-1.99,etc/7 days new/30 days new...
    01-15-13 03:50 PM
    all's cool provided appworld indicates which apps are of android nature

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-15-13 04:01 PM
    ***in my best Bugs Bunny voice*** mmmmmm,, could beee,,, i don't think it'd be unusable,,, i just hope it's organized better,,, even w/ catagories/ratings/best free/best paid/new/duplicate listings (same app, different category) etc., i go cross-eyed browsing in the current appworld,,, it never comes up the same way twice, so i end up going thru 1/2 the stuff i've already seen to see the other 1/2 that just got mixed in,,, you could spend an entire day in there & still not see it all,,, good options would be to be able to browse by above xxx rating/price range, free, .99-1.99,etc/7 days new/30 days new...
    App World on the Dev Alphas is already MILES better than it is on the Playbook, and I expect further refinement by the time BB10 releases.
    robkd and glamrlama like this.
    01-15-13 04:04 PM
    All markets on all platforms have garbage 15k apps.....yes most will be garbage but I'm sure there will also be some very great titles as well. I love how RIM is working hard and you have to give credit when it is do....unless of course you have troll Dna. Then your just sol and EVERYTHING SUCKS AND EVERYTHING IS AN ISSUE....how sad.

Trolls are not all that bad though. They just need some real world friends and possibly a puppy may do one good.

I think I'm gonna start a new campaign "puppy's for trolls" It would be a win win. The puppy gets a home and the troll gets a friend....sorta.
    01-15-13 04:12 PM
    That's not fair to the puppy. Animal cruelty I think. Just imagine the abuse that poor critter would suffer......stupid puppy isn't trained out of the box, doesn't fetch my newspaper like my sister's friend's mother's Ipuppy does. No language support. Doesn't interact with all my other household appliances. Have to open the door for the dumb puppy to go outside, stupid thing doesn't pass through walls. Can't get skype or netflix.

Animal control would called out no doubt.
    01-15-13 04:24 PM
    I have memories of similar escapades around the PlayBook app store.
    The difference between the PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 are a couple:

1. The Developer Relations Team was managed separately. Alec Saunders was not in charge when the PlayBook launched: Tyler Lessard was. So, different VP.

2. The PlayBook only supported AIR and WEB APPS, whereas the BalckBerry 10 platform has cascades and all the game engines out of the gate, along with Android support out of the gate.

3. Alec's team is about the masses. There's a separate team (Marty Mallick's) dedicated specifically to the big names. If - say ANGRY BIRDS STAR WARS comes over, that's Marty's group, not Alec's.
    01-15-13 04:28 PM
    I have several ported apps on my PB and they all work fine. I have no idea why OP would jump to conclusions like that.

Perhaps a better idea would be to wait and see the facts rather than over-react to speculation.
    01-15-13 04:37 PM
    Will someone please assist me in my way of thinking......I keep hearing about apps, apps, apps, what am I missing, I use my Browser 80% of the time unless there is a special function needed, When the browser on older mobile devices were not that good, granted apps were needed, but now I just use the browser and /or bookmark a website. IMO ....the "other guys" have a lot of people brainwashed into thinking 1,000 apps that do the same thing is KOOL.......I just don't understand. What am I missing?
    bungaboy and eddy_berry like this.
    01-15-13 04:58 PM
    Will someone please assist me in my way of thinking......I keep hearing about apps, apps, apps, what am I missing, I use my Browser 80% of the time unless there is a special function needed, When the browser on older mobile devices were not that good, granted apps were needed, but now I just use the browser and /or bookmark a website. IMO ....the "other guys" have a lot of people brainwashed into thinking 1,000 apps that do the same thing is KOOL.......I just don't understand. What am I missing?
    Can I skype on BB browser, can I netflix, can I watch my slingbox.....Do I need to go on, where have you been, RIM's dying because of a lack of anything useful in the app department. A PC is nothing without programs, just like a smartphone or tablet...... Browser, lol....
    TroubleTrouble likes this.
    01-15-13 05:16 PM
    PORT-a-thon so its apps that are on other platforms being PORTED over, if they are good enough to be on other platforms, why not BlackBerry 10 and as mentioned ealier, these are aimed at Indie devs more than the large cap developers.
    01-15-13 05:17 PM
    I'm sorry, but this falls in the same category as "I don't use Skype, so I don't see what all the fuss is that it isn't there."

I'll agree that sheer app counts aren't extremely useful, because all ecosystems have their share of garbage. Like it or not, though, app counts signify a few things:

1) How strong the market is for a given platform
    2) How much interest there is in developing for it
    3) How much of a future developers see in said platform

So, yes, it actually IS relevant.
    Chaddface likes this.
    01-15-13 05:19 PM
    RIM's dying because of a lack of anything useful in the app department.
    Really? Absolutely nothing whatsoever any good in that whole entire catalogue? Didn't know you've downloaded and tried everything ...

What's with all the sweeping generalizations in these forums? They do so much to dilute valid points

And it does a disservice to people who may actually have 'good apps' which you call 'bad' even though you've never actually tried them in the first place ...
    01-15-13 05:24 PM
    Garbage or not there are plenty of people judging success by app count.
    01-15-13 05:26 PM
    Exactly! 90% of apps on all platforms are crap or gimmick, not actually useful. What good is 250000 apps if 225000 of them are utter horse poo. How many fart noise apps do we really need?
    ren2008 likes this.
    01-15-13 05:36 PM
87 123 ...