See - that's the thing. It's an "all or nothing" thing with you. "All of their apps suck". "They have no big name apps".

I agree completely there is an app gap. But I think it's silly to say to go the other extreme too. They have *some* big name apps. They are missing others. And unless you've tried everything on the platform, don't make sweeping, ignorant statements about the quality of everything on the platform.

And I also disagree with "foot in grave". When they've mortgaged all their buildings and are past due six months on said mortgage, we can talk.

Such extremes ...
    I also have 2 iPads in the house, oldest and newest, it's not even a comparison the app availability between the 2 appworlds. As a PlayBook owner since launch day, I am literally embarrassed at BB appworld when I sift thru the others. I get depressed. PlayBooks had so much potential, they blew it. Well they can still save the PlayBook and BB10 Phones if they actually go out and get all the other apps the others have. But it's up to them to get it started, and I believe they have been doing that, so it's a start.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    01-16-13 03:11 PM
    Reading comprehension is low.15,000 apps where ported.At no pont did it say that these 15,000 apps will go into the store that is just an ASSumption by many.

RIM did not approve all these 15,000 apps and 15,000 wont be accepted there's a quality control at RIM.They have heavily talked about it they know how they want the store to be filled and they will get there somehow.We aint gonna be scrolling through 1000 torch apps you can be sure of that RIM wont allow it.

RIM know what they are doing they have planned well just be cool we'll get a good experience.
    01-16-13 03:12 PM
    You don't even know what a troll is.
    Anyone who dare to criticize the playbook ?!?
    Saiga likes this.
    01-16-13 03:25 PM
    I also have 2 iPads in the house, oldest and newest, it's not even a comparison the app availability between the 2 appworlds.
    Agree. And it's a known issue. More apps, and also more updates to those apps. Literally every day, my iPhone apps have a new version of something. I actually do have a fair number of apps on my PlayBook personally compared to the 9900 that preceeded it. But that comes down to a better app experience (space, no reboot, more complex apps) and better games.

But it's up to them to get it started, and I believe they have been doing that, so it's a start.
    All evidence suggests a much, much, much greater effort on recruiting developers and apps under Alec/Marty than was in the days of the PlayBook and before. I have faith we'll see some surprises at launch. We'll likely also still be missing some out of the gate.

Perhaps (if RIM has been successful with the phones and the app situation there), some of the BlackBerry 10 apps will come to PlayBook when BlackBerry 10 hits PlayBook?
    01-16-13 03:39 PM
    Reading comprehension is low.15,000 apps where ported.At no pont did it say that these 15,000 apps will go into the store that is just an ASSumption by many.

RIM did not approve all these 15,000 apps and 15,000 wont be accepted there's a quality control at RIM.They have heavily talked about it they know how they want the store to be filled and they will get there somehow.We aint gonna be scrolling through 1000 torch apps you can be sure of that RIM wont allow it.

RIM know what they are doing they have planned well just be cool we'll get a good experience.
    Personally speaking, I'm not assuming anything. During the port a thon before this last one, I was paid $100 each for web launchers that took minutes to make. Every single one I submitted was accepted. These apps are already available for download and a few have already recieved reviews.

If RIM is willing to accept web launchers what aren't they willing to accept? After all, a web launcher makes a fart app look like a masterpiece of programing. But oh well, 12 web launchers equals 12 more apps to add to the total. So its worth it for them.
    Last edited by Saiga; 01-16-13 at 04:34 PM.
    bobauckland likes this.
    01-16-13 03:51 PM
    Personally speaking, I'm not assuming anything. During the port a thon before this last one, I was paid $100 each for web launchers that took minutes to make. Every single one I submitted was accepted. These apps are already available for download and a few have already recieved reviews.

If RIM is willing to accept web launchers what aren't they willing to accept? After all, a web launcher makes a fart app look like a masterpiece of programing. But oh well, 12 web launchers equals 12 more apps to add to the total. So its worth it for them.
    Oh my. Now that is a bit distressing.

If RIM can get a majority of the big hitters, the fluff will be forgiven though.
    01-16-13 05:22 PM

Very worrying activity by RIM for accepting this. I don't blame you for doing it though.
    Saiga likes this.
    01-16-13 11:40 PM
    It's obvious the op is a troll and won't respond to any of the replies. Lock please.
    If you're ever in doubt, check the post history. Very telling and usually shows a distinct pattern of baiting and rabble rousing.
    01-17-13 12:55 AM
    Am I mistaken or there is also some sort of game factory tool somewhere ? I see many games with different purposes but almost the same layout : a great background which takes too much space and a tiny gaming rectangle in the middle...
    01-17-13 08:23 AM
    I think the only thing garbage is the title of this thread. Open the doors and let some fresh positive air in OP. Mindless RIM-Bashing is so stale.

And if you're not bashing RIM then you're bashing a whole lot of earnest developers who've put a lot of effort into their apps. Have some respect sir.
    Expect many more of these threads as release draws closer. Many will be from the same characters and based on post history, the OP isn't through yet either.
    01-18-13 01:16 AM
    Am I mistaken or there is also some sort of game factory tool somewhere ? I see many games with different purposes but almost the same layout : a great background which takes too much space and a tiny gaming rectangle in the middle...
    It takes a special kind of TROLL to hijack his own troll thread in an attempt to start a new troll rant.
    FF22 and rotorwrench like this.
    01-18-13 09:51 AM
    I welcome all the great apps and even the sh*t ones, because before I download I do so either by checking:

1) Most popular apps
    (then I read through the reviews before downloading)

2) I search for apps
    (then I read through the reviews before downloading)

3) Crackberry usually does some good app reviews, which in turn I've gone and downloaded

4) Friends tell me to get this app or that app "cause its cool"
    At home, I run pretty much everything *except* Apple (not for religious reasons, I just don't think it's worth the price). Historically, I've had Nokia phones, Windows and Linux PCs, and currently I have an Android LG phone and an Asus TF101 Transformer tablet (the first generation, with a keyboard).

I picked up a Playbook because (a) while I love my 10" tablet, the form factor isn't convenient for a lot of things, and the 7" tablet is, and (b) the 16GB Playbook was on sale for about $110. To be honest, had the Nexus 7" been available at the time I got my Playbook, I probably would have gotten it, instead.

I'm not complaining. I've gotten my money's worth out of the PB; it does what I expected for the price. And I have to say that the calendar and email are better than Android's. Of course, that's to be expected, given that it's RIM's core competency. And the browser is better than Android's, although I miss not having Opera available.

And while I'm disappointed that I can't expand the memory with SD expansion, the fact is that so far, unlike my Android tablet, I haven't found need to, because there simply aren't any applications that would use it. I did copy some videos over, but apparently, the MKV codec wasn't supported (worked fine on Android, though).

However, when it comes to app stores, I have to say that I'm disappointed by the Playbook's. I know that Apple users complain that the Android app store is poorly stocked, but after seeing the Playbook's offerings, Android has nothing to complain about. Business apps are well represented, it seems, but stuff for the home user seems pretty limited. To be honest, it looks practically abandoned, compared to Google Play.

On my android, I've got about 40 apps downloaded. On my Playbook, I've only found one really good one, an RSS reader whose name I can't remember. But most of the apps I find tend to be either disappointing or misleading.

It's not that I'm looking for specific things (although a good offline GPS package, or a comic book CBR reader would be nice); I don't look for them on Android, either. But on Android, I've found a number of things where they look potentially interesting, I go "hmm", download it, try it, and often end up buying it. Sure, sometimes I download it and decide against it, but I do try it. With most of the stuff I've found in the BB app store, as soon as I downloaded it, I found I either (a) had to buy it just to start it up, or (b) enter a ton of personal data before I could even evaluate it. Neither really interested me.

The most common refrain is that "all you have to do" is sideload Android apps. That's very reminiscent of OS/2, where the scarcity of applications was answered with "just run Windows 3.1 apps". The problem was that the Windows apps weren't guaranteed to work correctly, they didn't take proper advantage of OS/2, and they were a powerful incentive against writing native OS/2 apps.

Hopefully, the BB10 apps have to be more than just subsets of Android apps. It's great that there will be ports of Android apps, but there will have to be more than that. Ports aren't compelling; they're used to fill holes in your native offerings. If that's all you've got, you're in trouble.
    01-18-13 04:47 PM
87 ... 234