How Can you specify whats in Blackberry world before any of the Apps are announced i understand where your coming from but we all gotta wait tell the 30th
    01-15-13 10:15 PM
    ... and even the browser is an app. Why not have options?

For example, on my browser app, the functionality is much expanded from a regular browser. I can switch SEAMLESSLY from desktop to mobile. It works well with my internet profile and keeps my passwords synced. This is in ADDITION to the stock browser. I'd love to see it on BB10.

It's almost silly to think of apps as being a figment of brainwashing. They extend functionality. They allow companies like RIM work on increasing core functionality.
    You have a point but not every app extends functionality. Some are duplicated.

I've said this many of times, apps were made popular because of the iPhone's lack luster browser capabilities. Steve Jobs, what a smart man but we shouldn't need an app to browse a website or just to watch videos. You should be able to browse freely - save a bookmark as a launcher to the homescreen and done. Anything done on a desktop, you can do on your phone.

When this happens, non game/utility apps will be an afterthought. RIM is suppose to be leading the change with the BB10 browser.
    01-15-13 10:25 PM

I've said this many of times, apps were made popular because of the iPhone's lack luster browser capabilities. Steve Jobs, what a smart man but we shouldn't need an app to browse a website or just to watch videos. You should be able to browse freely - save a bookmark as a launcher to the homescreen and done. Anything done on a desktop, you can do on your phone.

When this happens, non game/utility apps will be an afterthought. RIM is suppose to be leading the change with the BB10 browser.
    Till then, RIM needs to play the same game if it wants to give the totality of its potential users the best options with regards to overall functionality. There is a lot of fluff in all app stores, but I think most will be satisfied with equivalent quality in RIM's.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-15-13 10:31 PM
    Till then, RIM needs to play the same game if it wants to give the totality of its potential users the best options with regards to overall functionality. There is a lot of fluff in all app stores, but I think most will be satisfied with equivalent quality in RIM's.
    Oh 100% agree. That's why cosumer research is important withnew products. Thinks years ahead, but stay with the tide.
    01-15-13 10:41 PM
    So true... having all those options is a terrible way to attract developers to the platform... The decision makers at RIM must be completely bonkers. No competent developer could write a decent app app using the Air SDK. I must have been totally incapacitated by liquor to even think that it might be possible.
    I think this will be too cerebral for some to grasp

edit: ....never mind, after reading the rest of the thread I see it has already happened lol
    01-15-13 11:06 PM

Yes, you shouldn't need an app to watch regular videos on the regular browser. But you do need apps to do ANYTHING else, same way a desktop needs programs to function at anything else lol. Go buy a new clean PC see how far you get without DL'ing or installing anything outside of IExplorer, lol.
    01-16-13 12:20 AM
    If 0.5% of the apps are decent, that's 75 decent apps for you, aka more than I have on my playbook...
    01-16-13 12:56 AM
    What are all the development options for BB10? The ones I'm most interested in are Cascades and Qt/QML, the former built on top of the latter, because they're easy to code for and there's always C++ for the heavy lifting. This is the usual development environment for Symbian, Maemo and Meego so porting should be easy.

Sorry about the AIR dig... it's just that most AIR apps on App World are slow. Ported or sideloaded Android apps run much faster.
    01-16-13 01:39 AM
    What are all the development options for BB10? The ones I'm most interested in are Cascades and Qt/QML, the former built on top of the latter, because they're easy to code for and there's always C++ for the heavy lifting. This is the usual development environment for Symbian, Maemo and Meego so porting should be easy.

Sorry about the AIR dig... it's just that most AIR apps on App World are slow. Ported or sideloaded Android apps run much faster.
    Air was a means to an end, and it got the job done. Blaq remains one of my favorite Playbook apps, and probably the best Air app I can think of. Bottom line, it was a quick-and-dirty development environment and if RIM had all the time in the world, they might not have gone with it.

Qt/QML is very interesting, and it's what I'm attempting myself. There are some gorgeous effects in it, and it's amazingly tweakable. It still needs some work, but it's solid right now.

Possibly the most promising platform, though, is WebWorks. Pure HTML5/JavaScript. And it's surprisingly good; the BB10 browser was actually built in WebWorks, which I find amusingly "meta".
    01-16-13 01:53 AM
    Qt/QML is very interesting, and it's what I'm attempting myself. There are some gorgeous effects in it, and it's amazingly tweakable. It still needs some work, but it's solid right now.
    Interesting that a lot of comments for Blaq complain about the laggy interface.

Qt/QML is easy to code for and it should be pretty fast on the Playbook's hardware. The UI layout code (QML) is easy to use and Cascades should provide a lot of visual, network, filesystem and media widgets out of the box. The app logic can be in Javascript or linked to C++/Qt classes for more speed. Once you get past the JS/C++ duality, it's a nice environment.

WebWorks sounds similar to Qt/QML with HTML5 used for layout and JavaScript for logic. There should be little performance penalty as long as a good interpreter is used. Firefox OS uses something similar so there's hope for cross platform compatibility.

Anything but Dalvik... that VM irks my sensibilities
    01-16-13 02:45 AM
    The way I see it is, these PORTED apps are good to have in BB10, it's almost like lifting Androids app database and dumping it in to BB10 App World, then saying to the android peeps "psst, look over here, look what we have for you "

Then you have the second higher quality fully deeper integrated apps that are "made for Blackberry", which have a "criteria" of certain features/quality etc that must be fulfilled before being accepted anyway.

I welcome all the great apps and even the sh*t ones, because before I download I do so either by checking:

1) Most popular apps
    (then I read through the reviews before downloading)

2) I search for apps
    (then I read through the reviews before downloading)

3) Crackberry usually does some good app reviews, which in turn I've gone and downloaded

4) Friends tell me to get this app or that app "cause its cool"

Some of you think that IF there's 5 billion million thousand hundred apps in App World, you will NEVER be able to sift through to the good ones, my argument is, search & destroy! I mean Search and read reviews, I RARELY see some of the crap apps in the current App World, some of you are spending way too much time just browsing through endlessly hoping to stumble upon something but just end up finding trash.
    01-16-13 06:01 AM
    If BB's had big name apps they wouldn't be in the mess they're in, it's not rocket science...
    See - that's the thing. It's an "all or nothing" thing with you. "All of their apps suck". "They have no big name apps".

I agree completely there is an app gap. But I think it's silly to say to go the other extreme too. They have *some* big name apps. They are missing others. And unless you've tried everything on the platform, don't make sweeping, ignorant statements about the quality of everything on the platform.

And I also disagree with "foot in grave". When they've mortgaged all their buildings and are past due six months on said mortgage, we can talk.

Such extremes ...
    Cesare21 likes this.
    01-16-13 07:56 AM
    You must have missed the hint of sarcasm in my post. I am a proud Air developer and it bothers me a bit when naysayers suggest that my existence is "proof" of RIM's supposed incompetence.

Hehehe ... that I did. I must confess, I've worked with my share of socially backward software developers in my day who would write a post like the one you wrote in all seriousness. The "If I didn't write it, it sucks" crowd. Fortunately they are a subset
    01-16-13 08:02 AM
    OP, I'm confused. Is it your opinion that because such a large number of apps were ported from another OS to BB10, they were so "port"-able that they must be garbage? Or is it that the process of porting creates garbage apps?
    01-16-13 08:11 AM
    OP, I'm confused. Is it your opinion that because such a large number of apps were ported from another OS to BB10, they were so "port"-able that they must be garbage? Or is it that the process of porting creates garbage apps?
    The OP just wants to express his disdain for the pb and/or Rim and this is just another thread to do so.
    rotorwrench and Easy-G like this.
    01-16-13 09:27 AM
    Alec Saunders recently organized a 38 hours "porthaton", and just announced on Twitter he had hit 15.000 aps

Most comments I read say that this created a multitude of apps... made in 38 hours.

I.e. the appworld will already be useless and unusable even before start.

What do you think ? Speak freely, brave Crackberry fans, here you who enjoy the best moderation against personal attacks in the world.
    I think the only thing garbage is the title of this thread. Open the doors and let some fresh positive air in OP. Mindless RIM-Bashing is so stale.

And if you're not bashing RIM then you're bashing a whole lot of earnest developers who've put a lot of effort into their apps. Have some respect sir.
    01-16-13 10:32 AM
    everyone keeps saying we NEED a Skype app, there's FaceFlow which is just as good to me and alot of others and it could be used from the browser!
    01-16-13 10:48 AM
    The difference between the PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 are a couple:

1. The Developer Relations Team was managed separately. Alec Saunders was not in charge when the PlayBook launched: Tyler Lessard was. So, different VP.

2. The PlayBook only supported AIR and WEB APPS, whereas the BalckBerry 10 platform has cascades and all the game engines out of the gate, along with Android support out of the gate.

3. Alec's team is about the masses. There's a separate team (Marty Mallick's) dedicated specifically to the big names. If - say ANGRY BIRDS STAR WARS comes over, that's Marty's group, not Alec's.
    Another big difference is RIM is even more desperate than they were with the PlayBook launch. Remember with the PlayBook launch they dangled a free PlayBook in developers faces. With the BlackBerry 10 launch they are giving away PlayBooks. They're paying $100 per app. They're handing out Dev Alphas and they're offering trade ups to limited edition BB10 devices.

These promotions are way too easy to qualify. Web launchers are enough to get you $100 each, and a free PlayBook or even a Dev Alpha. Web launchers quality for everything except the trade up according to RIM. People will rightfully so take advantage of these promotions. To be honest, these promotions are small developer's pay day. I spent a ton of time on my PlayBook apps. I've made maybe $50 in sales before my paid apps showed up on the piracy sites. With the BB10 launch I've already made enough to probably buy 2 BB10 phones, I've qualified for the limited edition trade up, and I've made a ton of points that can be traded in for BlackBerry merchandize.

None of my BB10 apps took longer than a hour to build. The apps work and they meat RIM's standards obviously. But I know they are what most would consider to be crapps. I know several other developer friends that have pumped out crapps just to qualify for RIM's promotions. The same way people did just enough to get a free PlayBook a couple of years ago.
    bobauckland and Rickroller like this.
    01-16-13 10:48 AM
    This thread seems like it's started for trolling purposes....but either way--moderator this thread should be in the BB10 forum...not playbook...
    01-16-13 11:52 AM
    the OP clearly has dubious intentions with this thread... look at the title. how can you judge whether or not something is garbage before the start? isn't that like judging a book by its cover? the question itself is stupid and this thread is a waste of time. you haven't seen the 15k apps and i doubt you ever will know which came directly from this port-a-thon. i'm not one to directly attack people on this forum, but if you jump to conclusions before having all the facts, better yet, ANY of the facts you are aren't the sharpest tool in the shed.
    01-16-13 12:36 PM
    Dont think its fair to label the OP like that.
    Hes basing his concerns on a history with the PlayBook, same promotions, awful end result with terrible quickly made apps that degraded the app store.
    RIM will have learned from this Im sure but its a fair concern to have.
    If you read up about 2 posts theres an actual developer saying he feels the promotions are too easy to qualify for, and people are handing in loads of 'crap apps' to try and get easy prizes.
    Suppose the key point is we ought not to get too excited with the numbers being thrown about, at least until Jan 30.
    Rickroller likes this.
    01-16-13 12:58 PM
    Alec Saunders recently organized a 38 hours "porthaton", and just announced on Twitter he had hit 15.000 aps

This 15k is the amount of apps submitted but not approved for use in the BB App World. I do hope you know the difference between 'submitted' and 'approved for use'.

Most comments I read say that this created a multitude of apps... made in 38 hours.
    Yes, BB10 is very easy to port apps from a different platform per many developers. Multitude of apps were not 'made' in 37.5 hours, they already existed elsewhere.

I.e. the appworld will already be useless and unusable even before start.
    Oh I get it, you wouldn't want to download any app? Oh that's right, you don't want BB10 anyways. You're pro-Android; speaks volumes about your cognition.

What do you think ? Speak freely, brave Crackberry fans, here you who enjoy the best moderation against personal attacks in the world.
    Are you trying to feed us and flame the moderators by this line? It stinks of sarcasm and angst.
    01-16-13 01:11 PM
    Dont think its fair to label the OP like that.
    Hes basing his concerns on a history with the PlayBook, same promotions, awful end result with terrible quickly made apps that degraded the app store.
    RIM will have learned from this Im sure but its a fair concern to have.
    If you read up about 2 posts theres an actual developer saying he feels the promotions are too easy to qualify for, and people are handing in loads of 'crap apps' to try and get easy prizes.
    Suppose the key point is we ought not to get too excited with the numbers being thrown about, at least until Jan 30.

Well considering the OP still hasn't responded in their own thread to at least attempt in a conversation/debat with others....I think most people are going to judge him just as he judges the apps that clearly hasn't used lol
    01-16-13 01:14 PM
    I want to thank everyone for the responses, even the sarcastic ones, however if I needed a tablet or phone with a multitude of useless apps i would just go buy one ......as I said, I do understand the importance of SOME apps, but for me I just don't use that many on my mobile devices to make that much of a difference. With ALL those different apps how many do you really use. 5, 6 maybe 8......OooooooooKAY. As for SKYPE, NETFLIX and other popular non productive apps, I do see the selling point, however with the exception of my Lady, I really don't care to see who I'm talking to anyway. Netfix, yea I really want to watch a movie on my 5, 7 or 10 inch screen for 2 hrs. Thats real KOOL looking .....NOT. To each his/her own.....I still think people in general are brainwashed about apps, apps and more apps.
    On my BlackBerry PlayBook I have roughly a dozen high-quality applications which have transformed the tablet into a replacement for my notebook computer when out of the office. The excellent web browser to its developers' credit allows me to productively access various server-based applications permitting a blend of native (on tablet) and hosted (on my own servers) applications to meet my specific needs. In my opinion, a catalogue of 1000 high-quality applications (academic, business, finance, professional, etc.) plus an unlimited number of games for the leisure-suit Larry crowd would suffice.

I am taking a course about data analysis and application R features prominently. I download the lecture videos, lecture notes provided by the instructor, and assignments to the tablet; watch the lectures on my schedule using Files and Folders to manage the videos and the default video player to view them ; access my own R environment via the default web browser to complete the assignments; and take the quizzes and exams on-line via the default web browser. Lecture notes and supplementary reading materials are read using Pdf Reader (not Abobe Reader); Syntax is the editor used for the R programming assignments unless remotely accessing the R application server via the web browser.
    01-16-13 01:30 PM
    While i'm sure the OP was just trolling, he has a point and it's what I myself thought when Alec was touting 15,000 apps ported. My first thought was "Well hopefully someone is sifting thru them before they put them into App World". While i'm sure the whole point of the "Port-a-thon" is to show devs how easy it is, i'm pretty sure most of those apps were probably junk ones. Whatever the solution may be, I sincerely hope that the BB10 App store is miles above the PB one, because that one was literally embarrasing to sift thru..and i'm not even referring to quantity.
    01-16-13 01:46 PM
87 1234