RIM really need native Skype and Opera Mobile on BB10, the rest can be handled by sideloaded Android apps or ported stuff from Symbian or Meego. The decision to use Adobe Air as a native development framework on the Playbook must have been made with a load of... intoxicants
    01-15-13 06:19 PM
    I want to thank everyone for the responses, even the sarcastic ones, however if I needed a tablet or phone with a multitude of useless apps i would just go buy one ......as I said, I do understand the importance of SOME apps, but for me I just don't use that many on my mobile devices to make that much of a difference. With ALL those different apps how many do you really use. 5, 6 maybe 8......OooooooooKAY. As for SKYPE, NETFLIX and other popular non productive apps, I do see the selling point, however with the exception of my Lady, I really don't care to see who I'm talking to anyway. Netfix, yea I really want to watch a movie on my 5, 7 or 10 inch screen for 2 hrs. Thats real KOOL looking .....NOT. To each his/her own.....I still think people in general are brainwashed about apps, apps and more apps.
    bungaboy and walt63 like this.
    01-15-13 06:37 PM
    It's obvious the op is a troll and won't respond to any of the replies. Lock please.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-15-13 06:45 PM
    RIM really need native Skype and Opera Mobile on BB10, the rest can be handled by sideloaded Android apps or ported stuff from Symbian or Meego. The decision to use Adobe Air as a native development framework on the Playbook must have been made with a load of... intoxicants
    So true... having all those options is a terrible way to attract developers to the platform... The decision makers at RIM must be completely bonkers. No competent developer could write a decent app app using the Air SDK. I must have been totally incapacitated by liquor to even think that it might be possible.
    01-15-13 06:46 PM
    I remember a while back a thread about how many of the apps on your mobile device do you actually use. Does any one know what the average was? Or even remember the thread?
    01-15-13 06:56 PM
    I want to thank everyone for the responses, even the sarcastic ones, however if I needed a tablet or phone with a multitude of useless apps i would just go buy one ......as I said, I do understand the importance of SOME apps, but for me I just don't use that many on my mobile devices to make that much of a difference. With ALL those different apps how many do you really use. 5, 6 maybe 8......OooooooooKAY. As for SKYPE, NETFLIX and other popular non productive apps, I do see the selling point, however with the exception of my Lady, I really don't care to see who I'm talking to anyway. Netfix, yea I really want to watch a movie on my 5, 7 or 10 inch screen for 2 hrs. Thats real KOOL looking .....NOT. To each his/her own.....I still think people in general are brainwashed about apps, apps and more apps.
    And people have been going and getting those tablets and phones. I don't even know what to say to this.... I just, ugh... LOL. Wake up.
    01-15-13 06:58 PM
    One man's trash is another man's treasure...

The problem is the generalized term "app". It's like saying food. I love food and I bet you do too, but I would also bet there's food you love that I hate and vice versa. The best option is to try and cater to everyone's tastes which can vary.
    416to604 likes this.
    01-15-13 07:09 PM
    And people have been going and getting those tablets and phones. I don't even know what to say to this.... I just, ugh... LOL. Wake up.
    I guess its a status thing " my mobile device has a billion apps, how many does yours have" .........how many do you actually use? Wake Up is right. Browser is much better nowadays............you really don't get it ...WOW
    Last edited by spencerdl; 01-15-13 at 08:10 PM.
    01-15-13 07:12 PM
    I think they need to focus on making their phones WORK first. a lot of the US market left because everyone went and bought BB curves and storms. we all know those were entry level phones to the blackberry world. I've always kept up with the newest models but I've also used a blackberry back in the OS 4.0 days. go ahead and ask ANY of your buddies that left blackberry. ask them what model they had... I bet they'll say blackberry curve
    01-15-13 07:12 PM
    His assertion is people have been fooled into using apps even when it isn't necessary due to the hype and marketing. Your counter point is people are buying devices that use apps. I'm missing your point. I personally think some apps do add significantly to the experience but the declaration of having 500,000 or so apps is marketing and lacks real value.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    01-15-13 07:18 PM
    I personally believe we will be pleased come January 30th and beyond...I don't think RIM will make the same mistake twice with the apps. I think we will see some big names. However, I am a browser kind of gal so I am not personally seeking out any particular app at this point. We just have to wait and see.
    01-15-13 08:09 PM
    The BB10 native browser is already much better than Opera Mobile so I wouldn't need an Opera Mobile app.
    I would appreciate a Skype app though. My mom keeps complaining how there is no Skype app on the Playbook.
    01-15-13 08:09 PM
    Will someone please assist me in my way of thinking......I keep hearing about apps, apps, apps, what am I missing, I use my Browser 80% of the time unless there is a special function needed, When the browser on older mobile devices were not that good, granted apps were needed, but now I just use the browser and /or bookmark a website. IMO ....the "other guys" have a lot of people brainwashed into thinking 1,000 apps that do the same thing is KOOL.......I just don't understand. What am I missing?
    Your not missing anything. Apps largely arose in response to the resources restricted nature of the smartphone, the lack of a software environment like HTML5 and poor browsers. This has all changed as technology has advanced. There are a few unique apps at are truly useful to the masses. We usually refer to them as quality Apps but at best there is a few hundred of them. That is reality.
    Spencerdl and jpash549 like this.
    01-15-13 08:14 PM
    Will someone please assist me in my way of thinking......I keep hearing about apps, apps, apps, what am I missing, I use my Browser 80% of the time unless there is a special function needed, When the browser on older mobile devices were not that good, granted apps were needed, but now I just use the browser and /or bookmark a website. IMO ....the "other guys" have a lot of people brainwashed into thinking 1,000 apps that do the same thing is KOOL.......I just don't understand. What am I missing?
    It's not brain washing apps are better than the browser for certain things. There are a ton of educational, business, entertainment apps, that's not available via browser.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    01-15-13 08:24 PM
    I do not judge a platform by app count I judge it by how well it lets me do what I want on my phone or tablet. I expect that is where BB has suffered most on phones and tabs has been the answer to the question that starts "does it..."

if the app groups of RIM working on their own for natives and with devs have done the job as well as they claim there will be more positive than negatives. to those questions but you only fully compete with Android (yes its appropriately called Android and not Droid which is a line of phones sold by Verizon), and iOS when 99 44/100th of the time the answer is "yes! of course it does."

I am certain RIM and their C Suite gets this and are working their (bleeps) off to make it happen.
    01-15-13 08:28 PM
    His assertion is people have been fooled into using apps even when it isn't necessary due to the hype and marketing. Your counter point is people are buying devices that use apps. I'm missing your point. I personally think some apps do add significantly to the experience but the declaration of having 500,000 or so apps is marketing and lacks real value.
    No apps and there's zero experience... Is this concept really that hard to grasp. People have dumped BB's and RIM has one foot in the grave because of this simple concept. How can you be fooled into using an app? If there's no app how do you use something? An app is just a program like any other computer. How can you use something if there is no program. So I'm to understand that the only thing you have on your desktop is Explorer or Chrome or whatever other hipster browser is out there. That's basically what you're saying.
    01-15-13 08:46 PM
    The decision makers at RIM must be completely bonkers.
    To be fair, those people are also gone.

No competent developer could write a decent app app using the Air SDK

I'm sure there are AIR developers that disagree with you.
    01-15-13 08:49 PM
    I do not judge a platform by app count I judge it by how well it lets me do what I want on my phone or tablet. I expect that is where BB has suffered most on phones and tabs has been the answer to the question that starts "does it..."

if the app groups of RIM working on their own for natives and with devs have done the job as well as they claim there will be more positive than negatives. to those questions but you only fully compete with Android (yes its appropriately called Android and not Droid which is a line of phones sold by Verizon), and iOS when 99 44/100th of the time the answer is "yes! of course it does."

I am certain RIM and their C Suite gets this and are working their (bleeps) off to make it happen.
    YES! Well said.

I don't care about app counts. I just want added functionality, so that my device can be all that it wants to be. RIM gets it, even as some still seem to be confused about what apps do. Now, if you don't need any particular app, that's all jolly. You'll be happy regardless. We all should understand that those who would be happy without a competitive ecosystem are probably not sufficient enough to keep RIM afloat by themselves. Let's appreciate RIM's effort to bridge the gap.

Another thing, absolutes do not work any more. Netflix on a 4.3 screen was an IMPORTANT work tool of mine for a few years, but that is off-topic.

I don't think the total number will be the decider, but the number of quality apps. I do hope they manage to land some major productivity apps. i talked to a major developer this week and was told that Kevin's theory of app bounties is very true. MS is throwing major money at the problem, and this seems to be compounding the issue, because most studios are expecting RIM to do the same. It's a really tough road.
    01-15-13 08:51 PM
    "PORT" is the key word. I develop my app on Android and port it to BlackBerry each time I release an update. It takes only 5 minutes for the porting process and then probably an hour to regression test it to ensure what works on Android works on the PlayBook also and then submit it to App World... So if I had 38 Android apps, I could have ported all of them within the 38 hour portathon and submitted to RIM... Not surprised with the numbers...
    deblod likes this.
    01-15-13 08:53 PM
    No apps and there's zero experience... Is this concept really that hard to grasp. People have dumped BB's and RIM has one foot in the grave because of this simple concept. How can you be fooled into using an app? If there's no app how do you use something? An app is just a program like any other computer. How can you use something if there is no program. So I'm to understand that the only thing you have on your desktop is Explorer or Chrome or whatever other hipster browser is out there. That's basically what you're saying.
    ... and even the browser is an app. Why not have options?

For example, on my browser app, the functionality is much expanded from a regular browser. I can switch SEAMLESSLY from desktop to mobile. It works well with my internet profile and keeps my passwords synced. This is in ADDITION to the stock browser. I'd love to see it on BB10.

It's almost silly to think of apps as being a figment of brainwashing. They extend functionality. They allow companies like RIM work on increasing core functionality.
    01-15-13 09:01 PM
    YOUR A TROLL and i noticed first so where is my reward. and RIM has not got one foot in the grave
    01-15-13 09:13 PM
    Really? Absolutely nothing whatsoever any good in that whole entire catalogue? Didn't know you've downloaded and tried everything ...

What's with all the sweeping generalizations in these forums? They do so much to dilute valid points

And it does a disservice to people who may actually have 'good apps' which you call 'bad' even though you've never actually tried them in the first place ...
    If BB's had big name apps they wouldn't be in the mess they're in, it's not rocket science...
    01-15-13 09:37 PM
    YOUR A TROLL and i noticed first so where is my reward. and RIM has not got one foot in the grave
    You don't even know what a troll is.
    TroubleTrouble likes this.
    01-15-13 09:38 PM
    ... and even the browser is an app. Why not have options?

For example, on my browser app, the functionality is much expanded from a regular browser. I can switch SEAMLESSLY from desktop to mobile. It works well with my internet profile and keeps my passwords synced. This is in ADDITION to the stock browser. I'd love to see it on BB10.

It's almost silly to think of apps as being a figment of brainwashing. They extend functionality. They allow companies like RIM work on increasing core functionality.
    I know right?
    01-15-13 09:44 PM
    I'm sure there are AIR developers that disagree with you.
    You must have missed the hint of sarcasm in my post. I am a proud Air developer and it bothers me a bit when naysayers suggest that my existence is "proof" of RIM's supposed incompetence.
    01-15-13 09:54 PM
87 1234