Hello..

So i got a Playbook for Christmas and i seen that kobo was on there so i been looking around trying to find out how i can transfer downloaded kobo books .mobi files ... onto my playbook so i can use them in kobo or even epub reader ( i have it but havent used it ) im not sure where to get epub books either or id try to find my downloaded books for it...

thanks
    12-27-11 11:37 PM
    you can't sideload books into the kobo app on playbook. who knows why. you can do this on iOS/android no problem. you will soon find out that a lot of basic little things just can't be done or are just extremely convoluted to do on the playbook.

if you want to read your .mobi files, upgrade to beta 2.0, find a converted android kindle bar file and install it. you will have to use android player for this. then copy all of your .mobi files into /sdcard/kindle and your books will show up there.
    NaijaBerry likes this.
    12-27-11 11:48 PM
    Nada - Uhm ok, quite the response there lol! Regretting your decision eh? There are ways to load it into the Kobo reader but its not worth it and there is a much simpler way to access these file types.

Op - If I were you I would just get the ePub Book Reader app. It is cheap, supports kindle and kobo plus other formats. The developers are awesome and the app is great. And if you have any other questions just ask. Lot of people cant figure stuff out on their own and get bitter at RIM instead of looking for peer support . There is lots you can do if you just reach out to the community.

Ed
    vgwillm likes this.
    12-28-11 12:04 AM
    Nada - Uhm ok, quite the response there lol! Regretting your decision eh? There are ways to load it into the Kobo reader but its not worth it and there is a much simpler way to access these file types.

Op - If I were you I would just get the ePub Book Reader app. It is cheap, supports kindle and kobo plus other formats. The developers are awesome and the app is great. And if you have any other questions just ask. Lot of people cant figure stuff out on their own and get bitter at RIM instead of looking for peer support . There is lots you can do if you just reach out to the community.

Ed
    not regretting. i just know the reality of wanting to do certain things on the playbook and finding out i have to do a lot more work to get it done! like you said, there are ways to load but in just a very convoluted way that most non power users would never try to do.

i'm happily using the kindle android app for my .mobi files. but explaining how to a normal user? yikes
    12-28-11 12:10 AM

if you want to read your .mobi files, upgrade to beta 2.0, find a converted android kindle bar file and install it. you will have to use android player for this. then copy all of your .mobi files into /sdcard/kindle and your books will show up there.
    it was a good start on how right there.. i think you would do a good job explaining or at least lead them in the right direction.
    KermEd likes this.
    12-28-11 12:16 AM
    I don't like Kobo and haven't tried the ePub reader--sounds interesting, if it will support all formats directly. But, with the beta OS2 installed, the Android Kindle app works reasonably well on the Playbook.
    12-28-11 12:34 AM
    I prefer playepub.

PlayEpub, epub ebook reader for Blackberry Playbook

Simple. Multiformat. Lots of options.
    12-28-11 12:40 AM
    12-28-11 12:44 AM
    I prefer playepub.

PlayEpub, epub ebook reader for Blackberry Playbook

Simple. Multiformat. Lots of options.
    Thought this only did epubs?? Book Reader does epubs and mobi's (kindle works great sideloaded on 2 too).
    KermEd likes this.
    12-28-11 12:48 AM
    Thought this only did epubs?? Book Reader does epubs and mobi's (kindle works great sideloaded on 2 too).
    You are right. My mistake. I only use epub's and so didn't realize (but of course the name should have given it away eh?)

Anyways I have both Book Reader and Play Epub and I Strongly prefer Play Epub. Much better formatting and options.

But yes if you use anything other than epub's (and don't want to have to convert them each time) you should look elsewhere.
    12-28-11 12:53 AM
    I have BookReader and use it to read epub and mobi files from which DRM has been removed. I sideload book files to mt PB using my laptop. works like a charm! Love my PB!
    12-28-11 01:08 AM
    Not sure but i have heard the "kindle Cloud reader" works great. I have not tried it since i really don't do ebooks I would rather actually read a hard copy/paperback book. Picked up the PB for net,apps,etc and works for what I want/need.
    12-28-11 01:41 AM
    Ok so many options ... well i do have epub loaded onto my playbook by ddpbinstaller ... but im trying to put the books onto the playbook....im not sure how to do it , if i plug my pb in and just drag and drop the .mobi file in to the books folder....i cant find in in the playbook .... thanks for all the help im new at all this lol
    12-28-11 05:06 PM
    Ok so many options ... well i do have epub loaded onto my playbook by ddpbinstaller ... but im trying to put the books onto the playbook....im not sure how to do it , if i plug my pb in and just drag and drop the .mobi file in to the books folder....i cant find in in the playbook .... thanks for all the help im new at all this lol
    sounds like youare trying to use an epub reader to view mobi books on..??
    12-28-11 05:15 PM
    too bad this thread seems to have died. with what reader app works best? and how do you load books onto it? drag and drop?
    01-27-12 09:27 AM
    too bad this thread seems to have died. with what reader app works best? and how do you load books onto it? drag and drop?
    I have Kindle on OS2 beta and i also use the Book Reader app for epubs, both work great, but Kindle is the King of ebook apps any day anytime, the dictionary feature is awesome!
    rage763 likes this.
    01-27-12 10:22 AM
    Book Reader is the best, you load books by drag and drop and then using the import feature on the app, it supports epub and mobi formats.
    rage763 likes this.
    01-27-12 11:04 AM
    how do you download the actual file from amazon.com? searched out on this one.
    01-27-12 06:17 PM
    Hey...

If you want to read epubs you can dl the app for a couple bucks. or you can sideload the android app MoonReader for free (the free version obviously) and it is perfect. I use it about 2 to 4 hours a day because it makes reading so much easier with the autoscroll or manual scrolling and all the other options.

If you cant find the link because a lot of services are down just PM me and I will host mine.

Again, im only sharing this bc it is a free android app that was converted so there is no 'stealing' involved.

let me know.
    01-27-12 06:28 PM
    Use the epub book reader app. Books that are not DRM on your computer you can use Calibre to load on to your playbook (calibre can also convert non DRM books to many formats). Then use the epub app to search and load the book. You can also email the book to yourself from the computer to the playbook and download it.

calibre - E-book management

Calibre now has a driver for Blackberry Playbook - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    01-27-12 07:10 PM

Works good enough for me. I never tried the downloaded books part though.
    01-27-12 08:32 PM
    Booksonwink is a free reader for epubs, available on the app world now. Basic but ok till OS2 comes.
    01-27-12 10:30 PM
    I disagree with those who say Kindle works great on beta OS2. In reality it is very slow and buggy, often displaying a dialog asking the user to click wait or to close the app.

Very poor indeed, especially after Amazon promised a native app for PB last year. This is another serious issue that Thorsten needs to address with Amazon or build code inhouse.
    01-28-12 02:20 AM
    Cloud Reader only works if you are online - not too helpful on an airplane, for example (unless you like paying exorbitant wi-fi prices), or even on the subway. Although if you open the Cloud Reader and the book when you are connected to the internet and leave it open, that is not an issue. I found Cloud Reader less flaky using Simple Browser than I did with the native browser. It helps that the user agent can be changed in the settings of the Simple Browser.

Typically I have been using Book Reader, although today I downloaded PlayEpub and will see how I like it.

The main issue I ran into initially was having to remove the DRM protection. There are plug-ins for Calibre (a free desktop application) which will remove the DRM. This issue should disappear once Android support is part of the new OS.
    01-28-12 08:00 AM
    I second the use of 'Calibre' for transferring books to the PB. I started using it when I bought my mum a Kobo reader. Then I bought a Sony reader. Works great. You can also change the way your books show up - titles, author, cover art etc.

Above video shows the process albeit for a kobo. But same idea.

This helped me but ymmv.

Enjoy the PB. I'm still waiting for my sweet 'IBM' one day deal on the 64 from RIM.
    01-28-12 10:50 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD