You know, in this scenario I disagree.... Now, say the difference was closer to $100. Well, I'd agree with you. But we are talking over three hundred dollars difference. I think that may be just too much. I mean I am still reeling backwards over that news.... I bet cheaper versions of the xoom come out quick. XOOM lite or something like that.... Wifi only with half the memory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It's already been on engadget yesterday about the wifi xoom. For me it's like this. I have the money to buy the Xoom $800 or PlayBook $500 for the time being the choice is the PlayBook simply because I can't justify $800, my TV didn't even cost that much. IMO no tablet is worth $800. Those prices are pushing top end laptop prices. Tablets are still some what limited in what they are capable so why spend $300 more.
    02-10-11 06:15 PM
    It's already been on engadget yesterday about the wifi xoom. For me it's like this. I have the money to buy the Xoom $800 or PlayBook $500 for the time being the choice is the PlayBook simply because I can't justify $800, my TV didn't even cost that much. IMO no tablet is worth $800. Those prices are pushing top end laptop prices. Tablets are still some what limited in what they are capable so why spend $300 more.
    Exactly. If I am paying $800+ for a Tablet it better be running Windows or something along those lines.

CL900 Tablet PC - Rugged Small Form Factor Tablet
    02-10-11 07:40 PM
    It's no secret that I was one of the people that wanted the PlayBook to have push active sync but for $300 difference geez I'll just have to put the tablet down and look at my phone and hope it gets added. With tax & other fees for the Xoom I'd enjoy it for a few days but think I'd have major buyers remorse for that price I'd be looking at getting an Aimpoint or ACOG

Still there are a few more tablets on the horizon and I still have to give the iPad2 a look because for basic functions out of the box I know the apps are there for what I would want to do and then there is also the rumor of it come it in cheaper although I don't think that will happen
    02-10-11 07:55 PM
    Interactive wifi ordering. Probably the future in the making.

My friends daughter is a high school senior and their class was assigned Ipads at the start of the school year. Their text books are on it and their homework assignments are pushed to them also. They do their homework on them and submit it. There is no more, "the dog ate my homework". Apple donated the Ipads to the school district. I guess that is one perfect way to do real world testing.
    02-10-11 10:22 PM
    My friends daughter is a high school senior and their class was assigned Ipads at the start of the school year. Their text books are on it and their homework assignments are pushed to them also. They do their homework on them and submit it. There is no more, "the dog ate my homework". Apple donated the Ipads to the school district. I guess that is one perfect way to do real world testing.
    that awkward silence in the class when you hear an iPad drop on a tile floor
    02-10-11 10:28 PM
    Thank gawd they were "donated". Insured? Hopefully. If not, will the replacements also be "donated"?

Actually, this is probably a good experiment. There's enough cash in the orchard to make a program like this work.
    02-10-11 11:00 PM
    that awkward silence in the class when you hear an iPad drop on a tile floor
    They seem to be happy with them, no problems in the breakage department and apparently they are happy with the money and "green" aspect as well. Text books are loaded to the tabs, so less physical books have to be purchased and if there are content changes it is much easier to update them. Looks like the librarian will go the way of the 8 track too, pretty soon....lol Good deal for Apple too, you know what the kids will buy when they reach the consumer stage.
    Last edited by grncherry1; 02-11-11 at 12:12 AM.
    02-11-11 12:09 AM
    Thank gawd they were "donated". Insured? Hopefully. If not, will the replacements also be "donated"?

Actually, this is probably a good experiment. There's enough cash in the orchard to make a program like this work.
    Apple is not stupid, there is a method to their madness. All the kids will be consumers soon, so that Apple logo is entrenched. Very savvy if you ask me, they are thinking ahead. Just think of how many Ipads could be put in schools if you skip a few Super Bowl or whatever else Ads on tv.
    Last edited by grncherry1; 02-11-11 at 12:24 AM.
    02-11-11 12:19 AM
    Apple is not stupid, there is a method to their madness. All the kids will be consumers soon, so that Apple logo is entrenched. Very savvy if you ask me, they are thinking ahead. Just think of how many Ipads could be put in schools if you skip a few Super Bowl or whatever else Ads on tv.
    I should ring RIM and ask them to release their 7" Playbooks with 3G and donate some to some of the schools. Then RIM starts becoming entrenched. Maybe even donate some 8520s to the schools (cheap, cheerful, and are extremely popular). The 8520s could be used as communication between student and teacher. The Playbook could be used for books and to 'push' homework tasks and such to them.
    02-11-11 01:45 AM
    I should ring RIM and ask them to release their 7" Playbooks with 3G and donate some to some of the schools. Then RIM starts becoming entrenched. Maybe even donate some 8520s to the schools (cheap, cheerful, and are extremely popular). The 8520s could be used as communication between student and teacher. The Playbook could be used for books and to 'push' homework tasks and such to them.
    Couldn't hurt. Seems pretty smart to me. You do whatever it takes if you intend to compete and remain successful as a corporation. And give a little back to society as well.
    02-11-11 02:11 AM
    Hey, I just bought this mobile and I can say that this is best but I am looking for skin covers for it.
    02-11-11 05:24 AM
    That is an excellent gameplan.

PLUS, no self-respecting dog would eat an ipad.

02-11-11 05:32 AM
    I don't view pulling up my email via the web on a tablet as not on the go. It's set to stay logged in just like an email client on the tablet would be. One click...and there you go. But that's just me. I have no issue if somebody else wants the icon that combines them all. It's just not something that concerns me.
    Agree. PB is a multitasking device. I believe it will come with some email clients and PIM. What's so difficulty about building an email client and calendar functions? Even if it doesn't, u just need to use the browser to access the email including outlook web access for corporate email and leave it open and its multi tasking capability would do the email pulling job..

02-11-11 05:39 AM
    Since everyone is going at it on this thread, I would like to point out my frustration with Blackberry data/BIS not working during my Vietnam trip this year. There is only one carrier in Vietnam that supports data and I still couldn't obtain a sim card with Blackberry data anywhere because no one cares about Blackberry over there. I have over 100 people back home on my BBM who I wanted to contact and share my adventure in Vietnam with. I needed access to email but couldn't access besides going on the slow browser. I have some friends on Yahoo Messenger who are in Vietnam that I needed to get a hold of regarding local events. These are some of the things that I wanted to do but couldn't do.

I've been holding off to purchase a PlayBook instead of the iPad but after this trip, it made me rethink over some of the negative side of BIS data. It was frustrating that I just couldn't access these apps through just plain WiFi. The PlayBook requires syncing to your BB smartphone to access some of the BIS apps. I've been a Blackberry fan but this time it has disappointed me.

So what if a 4G version of the PlayBook is coming, I still can't access the Blackberry services like email, bbm, msn, ym, facebook and twitter without a BIS data plan. Screw this BIS/BES stuff. I just want an email app and messenger app that I can access anywhere in the world without requiring a Blackberry data plan. I'm not buying into any of this PlayBook smartphone theathering stuff until I see a native email, calendar and messaging apps that would work on plain Wifi without BB data.

Half of me keeps saying if I had an iPhone I wouldn't have run into these kinds of problems.
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-11-11 05:50 AM
    Apple has a clear strategy. Get students hooked on their products like iPhones and iPads. Tout integration with the Mac line to try to gain marketshare there. Then when these students make their way to the business world and start getting into decision making roles for companies they'll wonder why they can't have Apple products at work, and start trying to get them at their place of work.
    02-11-11 07:10 AM
    Apple has a clear strategy. Get students hooked on their products like iPhones and iPads. Tout integration with the Mac line to try to gain marketshare there. Then when these students make their way to the business world and start getting into decision making roles for companies they'll wonder why they can't have Apple products at work, and start trying to get them at their place of work.
    I'm sure by the time these kids get into the work force..there will already be alot of business that have made the jump and are using iProducts.
    02-11-11 08:37 AM
    I'm sure by the time these kids get into the work force..there will already be alot of business that have made the jump and are using iProducts.
    Apple offers a complete line of products - Computers, iPads, iPods, iPhone, etc., and have done a GREAT job of marketing those products as "must have to be cool and on the leading edge of technology." The Playbook looks VERY promising, but with only phones and a tablet to offer RIM needs to get it out for sale to try and make some in roads.
    02-14-11 12:32 PM
    Actually, a lot of schools have switched from Apple to Windows products for the exact opposite reason. It wasn't preparing them for what they were encountering in the workplace.
    02-14-11 02:03 PM
    Actually, a lot of schools have switched from Apple to Windows products for the exact opposite reason. It wasn't preparing them for what they were encountering in the workplace.
    and in reality Windows isn't what they will be seeing in the work place in 10 years.

you will see a world of terminal clients, and tools to do what is needed.
    as hardware costs continue to fall more businesses will adopt low power consumption terminal options

IF I was RIM, I would be working on Desktop Docking stations for Blackberry's moving forward basically building a network "Personal Docking Station" vs a Personal Computer, basically it would be a full Keyboard/Monitor , a Wireless/Wired Link into a Network for data/media/etc that isn't functional without being Bridged to a Blackberry, the Blackberry becomes in the office a User account control, the policies are put to a Blackberry and the employee can use any work station once they Bridge to it, give access to software over the network, and give access to network drives based on permissions from the blackberry, the employee then moves with there permissions they email, and calendar moves with, Software can be created to actually LOCKOUT PIM data during specific hours based on the employee,

you now lock an entire company into the RIM PBX/BES/MVS system and it would be extremely cost prohibitive to leave that system

RIM is the only company currently in a position to do this, Microsoft would kill it's current software model in Business by doing this, as Software as a service would become far more popular in a fully networked environment. and Apple would lose their current high margin Computer market in place of dummy units.

No Android phone manufacturer has a back end capable network, nor the controls over the software to do it, and Google isn't involved enough in hardware nor trusted enough by enterprise clients yet.
    02-14-11 06:40 PM
    and in reality Windows isn't what they will be seeing in the work place in 10 years.

you will see a world of terminal clients, and tools to do what is needed.
    as hardware costs continue to fall more businesses will adopt low power consumption terminal options

IF I was RIM, I would be working on Desktop Docking stations for Blackberry's moving forward basically building a network "Personal Docking Station" vs a Personal Computer, basically it would be a full Keyboard/Monitor , a Wireless/Wired Link into a Network for data/media/etc that isn't functional without being Bridged to a Blackberry, the Blackberry becomes in the office a User account control, the policies are put to a Blackberry and the employee can use any work station once they Bridge to it, give access to software over the network, and give access to network drives based on permissions from the blackberry, the employee then moves with there permissions they email, and calendar moves with, Software can be created to actually LOCKOUT PIM data during specific hours based on the employee,

you now lock an entire company into the RIM PBX/BES/MVS system and it would be extremely cost prohibitive to leave that system

RIM is the only company currently in a position to do this, Microsoft would kill it's current software model in Business by doing this, as Software as a service would become far more popular in a fully networked environment. and Apple would lose their current high margin Computer market in place of dummy units.

No Android phone manufacturer has a back end capable network, nor the controls over the software to do it, and Google isn't involved enough in hardware nor trusted enough by enterprise clients yet.
    And you sir, need to apply for a job at Research In Motion...
    02-14-11 07:28 PM
520 ... 192021
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD