• 2 Post By Anjohl
  • 2 Post By Wongsky
  • 1 Post By nappp
  • 2 Post By SparkyBC
  • 1 Post By timmy t
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB PB update?

On the crackberry article about blackberry app worl being rebranded as blackberry world, they mention that the change will come in a few weeks for the playbook...

does this imply an update? or is it an automatic change RIM can make to our playbooks, where the app world just appears as blackberry world....

If it is an update, i reckon a simple update with bug fixes plus an icon change...

I seriously doubt it would be the bb10 update for the playbook!!! that would be so unbelievably awesome though!!!
    CrackBerry Addict

It's not an update. BlackBerry World is on the Web. I read it may take up to 24 hours to view the new World.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

While thousands of playbook owners hitting on software updates every moment they can. LOL!!
    36dbldz likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts

After speaking to RIM tech support yesterday, bb10 is coming to playbook but won't be in January. They will release it for phones first and should come to playbook a couple of months later, maybe March or April. Bummer that we have to wait a bit longer eh guys??? Bring it on RIM!!!
    Thanked by 2:
    clareberry (01-21-2013),  David in Durham (01-23-2013) 
    MTL likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    PIN
    non ya fn

Yes op BlackBerry world will come to the PlayBook within a update. They said this week's ago on the dev blog that PlayBook would get BlackBerry world in the form of an os update.

BlackBerry10 is coming to the PlayBook but no one knows when. I have a hunch we will know more on the 30th.
    Thanked by:
    nappp (01-21-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

I don't have a PB yet. Should I buy now and update, or will there be a new one coming soon that I should wait for?
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,814 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clarekj View Post
    I don't have a PB yet. Should I buy now and update, or will there be a new one coming soon that I should wait for?
    Depends on how much you want to spend. A new one will not be the price you can get one for now, if you can find one.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    Thanked by:
    clareberry (01-21-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

my biased opinion ( i have one that i got back in Nov. during Office Depots' fire sale & am very happy w/ it,,,, best $150 i ever spent on a gadget),,, get one now,,, if/when a new one, (not the current wifi/LTE one that's only available in Canada, i think, that some are waiting here for in the U.S. @ approx. $549usd), comes out, they may upgrade the RAM, processor &/or the resolution but you really can't go wrong w/ the current model,,, they're relatively cheap & available & you'll get the BB10 os upgrade free when it comes out,,, if you wait you may get a little better hardware & "10" already installed but it'll cost ya,,, currently they're going for $200-$220 on Amazon for a 64 gigger...
    "THE GUY YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!"

I'M ON MY OWN IGNORE LIST===

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."

9850+PlayBook=WIN!!!
    Thanked by:
    clareberry (01-21-2013) 
    Techno-Emigre and clareberry like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    HEAD

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWARRIOR View Post
    my biased opinion ( i have one that i got back in Nov. during Office Depots' fire sale & am very happy w/ it,,,, best $150 i ever spent on a gadget),,, get one now,,, if/when a new one, (not the current wifi/LTE one that's only available in Canada, i think, that some are waiting here for in the U.S. @ approx. $549usd), comes out, they may upgrade the RAM, processor &/or the resolution but you really can't go wrong w/ the current model,,, they're relatively cheap & available & you'll get the BB10 os upgrade free when it comes out,,, if you wait you may get a little better hardware & "10" already installed but it'll cost ya,,, currently they're going for $200-$220 on Amazon for a 64 gigger...
    Have to agree. Best $149 I ever spent on technology. If nothing else, it is a very solid media server. Every time I see a BB10 demo I think to myself that I can already do a lot of that stuff...
    Thanked by:
    clareberry (01-21-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Default Re: BB PB update?

I spent 499 and it was still worth it. used it everyday since I bought it.
    Sprint Q10
    32GB Playbook
    Thanked by:
    clareberry (01-21-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by hennesseystealth View Post
    Have to agree. Best $149 I ever spent on technology. If nothing else, it is a very solid media server. Every time I see a BB10 demo I think to myself that I can already do a lot of that stuff...
    Same here!!! My wife loves hers as well!!!
    BLUSLS - Crackberry Fiend!!!!!!!!
    Thanked by:
    clareberry (01-21-2013) 
    clareberry likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Regarding your question about whether or not to buy a PB, I will say this:

I used my PB a LOT more before I got my new Galaxy II phone and my new laptop. I think the PB is great for what it does well. It's great for watching movies, web browsing, and light gaming. It had so much potential with Android app sideloading, but as usual, RIM shoots themselves in the foot. I hate that the incredible podcast app onboard doesn't work, but I love the amazing Docs2Go work processor. Pacemaker, an incredible DJ Turntable program will make a PB worth buying alone for many.

The build quality is peerless, the device has a nice battery, an incredible interface, and the multitasking is PC-like. It's just too bad there is so little to do with it software wise. personally, I would advise any prospective buyer to pony up the extra cheddar and get the 3g/4g version. You may say you don't want it, but in the long run, a tablet without mobile internet is just a big ipod touch with limited apps, and since most people own a smartphone, there is a redundancy issue with a wifi tablet. For train/bus commuters or those who travel, a playbook is worth 3 times its MSRP, and if we ignore the obvious appstore disadvantage, the playbook demolishes the ipad in every way except screen size.

So in summation, I guess my recommendation is that you assess why you want a tablet, if you truly want a tablet, and what you need out of it. I don't get a ton of use out of mine since I upgraded my phone and bought my laptop, but for now, I still feel it's worth having since I paid so little for it on the secondary market. Do your research, and think before you swipe.
    Thanked by:
    clareberry (01-22-2013) 
    F2 and BB12MX like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    Regarding your question about whether or not to buy a PB, I will say this:

I used my PB a LOT more before I got my new Galaxy II phone and my new laptop. I think the PB is great for what it does well. It's great for watching movies, web browsing, and light gaming. It had so much potential with Android app sideloading, but as usual, RIM shoots themselves in the foot. I hate that the incredible podcast app onboard doesn't work, but I love the amazing Docs2Go work processor. Pacemaker, an incredible DJ Turntable program will make a PB worth buying alone for many.

The build quality is peerless, the device has a nice battery, an incredible interface, and the multitasking is PC-like. It's just too bad there is so little to do with it software wise. personally, I would advise any prospective buyer to pony up the extra cheddar and get the 3g/4g version. You may say you don't want it, but in the long run, a tablet without mobile internet is just a big ipod touch with limited apps, and since most people own a smartphone, there is a redundancy issue with a wifi tablet. For train/bus commuters or those who travel, a playbook is worth 3 times its MSRP, and if we ignore the obvious appstore disadvantage, the playbook demolishes the ipad in every way except screen size.

So in summation, I guess my recommendation is that you assess why you want a tablet, if you truly want a tablet, and what you need out of it. I don't get a ton of use out of mine since I upgraded my phone and bought my laptop, but for now, I still feel it's worth having since I paid so little for it on the secondary market. Do your research, and think before you swipe.
    In the PlayBook's instance, I'm not convinced with the 3G / 4G thing - maybe in the future (bearing in mind 4G is in it's infancy in the UK, and even when it does take off in anger, it will be expensive and coverage may not be that great). The reason why I'm not convinced is it's never been easier to tether to a smartphone - and probably most people wanting to use their PlayBook on the move will have a smartphone.

For myself, I've had Android tablets for a good while, as well as relatively recently being a PlayBook owner. I could never get my Android tablets to tether with my smartphone (a Nokia N8, even using joikuspot on it). Some of that will be due to the version of Android running on my tablets (2.2) some of it partly to do with my smartphone. Enter the PlayBook - tethers quickly, easily and reliably over bluetooth to my smartphone, so I don't have to worry about whether it can create an acceptable WiFi hotspot.

So if I had a 3G / 4G PlayBook, all it would mean to me would be having to fund another sim with 3G / 4G connectivity (although the spec of the 3G / 4G models is slightly improved, isn't it?)
    lorax1284 and Banco like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    24D72E0F

I'm more than happy with the tether my Nokia N8 allows with my Playbook when I want web access, ok it's a couple of steps to enable compared to the LTE version which is just connected but the tether works well
    CrackBerry Abuser

If you can still find one of any size i say get one. I can't imagine when the 10 comes out you'll be able to grab a new bb playbook for double what they are selling for now. You may find 64g to be the most avail.
    BTW l have no problem at all with my pod cast app other than not enough free time to take advantage of it.
    Thanked by:
    clareberry (01-22-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Default Re: BB PB update?

Quote Originally Posted by GSMLAB View Post
    I think Feb/2013 maybe update
    I am 100% ok with that!
    Sprint Q10
    32GB Playbook
    Thanked by 3:
    clareberry (01-22-2013),  Qmax (01-22-2013),  Sansu94 (01-22-2013) 
    Sansu94 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Once all the negative attention FINALLY leaves RIM. That big dark cloud that has been hanging over them for years. People will finally wake up and see the playbook is a great device. With a refreshed OS to BB10 will sell it providing the overall global feedback and launch of BB 10 is positive.

Rim won't leave the tablet market anytime soon, it's the future
    Thanked by 3:
    clareberry (01-24-2013),  nappp (01-22-2013),  stillpointworks (01-23-2013) 
    David in Durham and nappp like this.
    CrackBerry Master

I predict people with PlayBooks will be very popular after they get the BB10 upgrade. Everyone at work will want to try it.
    nappp likes this.