hey gang,

anyone got definitive guidance on battery maintenance for the playbook? fully discharge before a recharge? use (or don't use) the rapid charger?

i want to make sure not to train my battery with bad habits.

suggestions welcome!

addodd
    05-04-11 10:08 PM
    I wouldn't discharge the battery all the way. I have heard that some do not come back.

Do let it run down/low (5 percent) a few times when you first get it. A few times
    during the first couple of weeks.

After that you can charge it whenever as the battery does not have a memory
    like some of the old ones did. Once every month or so let it run down again just
    for good measure.

Rapid charges tend to shorten battery life. A trickle charge always extends the life of any battery.

So rapid charge when you need it ASAP otherwise let it charge nice and slow.

Tim
    05-04-11 10:27 PM
    Modern batteries do not require training. Rapid chargers do no damage.

Plug the thing in and use it. No need to worry.
    05-04-11 10:30 PM
    Modern batteries do not require training. Rapid chargers do no damage.

Plug the thing in and use it. No need to worry.
    Incorrect, the heat related to rapid charging will shorten the life
    of the battery. Electronics 101.

You are right that they do not damage them, but they will not last as long.

Ask any person working in the labs at DuraCell, Rayovac etc.

Tim
    05-04-11 10:53 PM
    Incorrect, the heat related to rapid charging will shorten the life
    of the battery. Electronics 101.

You are right that they do not damage them, but they will not last as long.

Ask any person working in the labs at DuraCell, Rayovac etc.

Tim
    So using the cool charging dock on my bedside table is not a good idea?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-11 06:33 AM
    I have not noticed any appreciable heat when using the rapid charging dock. I am not an EE, but I'm not concerned about using it.
    05-05-11 09:26 AM
    Don't worry about it. Lithium Ion usually carry 300-500 charges. If you notice a decrease in your battery life over the next couple months you do have a warranty that will cover the battery.

Lithium ion isn't like Nickel batteries, so you don't have you let it die all the way before charging. One thing I strongly suggest is don't leave it on a car charger for an extended period of time.
    05-05-11 09:29 AM
    The new batteries do not like to be discharged fully. Better to recharge at regular intervals for longest life. How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries – Battery University
    05-05-11 10:38 AM
    To backup what I posted earlier please read:

BlackBerry PlayBook Battery Life Changed with OS 1.0.3? Possible Fixes - BerryReview

Environment
    •BlackBerry PlayBook
    •BlackBerry PlayBook Software 1.0.0 to 1.0.3
    •PR 97674

Cause 1

In BlackBerry PlayBook Software 1.0.3, changes have been made to battery parameters.

Cause 2

The Video Chat application’s User Agreement has not been accepted.

Resolution 1

The BlackBerry PlayBook battery can be retrained by fully discharging and fully recharging the battery a few times.

Resolution 2

On the BlackBerry PlayBook, launch the Video Chat application and accept the User Agreement.

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 05-06-11 at 09:11 AM.
    05-06-11 09:09 AM
    the first day it was a bit warm. second day now, much less than yesterday. i guess it improves more with more cycles.
    05-06-11 09:19 AM
    Don't worry about it. Lithium Ion usually carry 300-500 charges. If you notice a decrease in your battery life over the next couple months you do have a warranty that will cover the battery.

Lithium ion isn't like Nickel batteries, so you don't have you let it die all the way before charging. One thing I strongly suggest is don't leave it on a car charger for an extended period of time.
    Yitsy - Lithium Ion carries 300-500 charges?? What does that actually mean? That makes me think that if I plug in my PB every night to charge, that I only have 1 to 1.5 years of usage for the Playbook before the battery is gone? I am not an engineer or electrical guru at all so I am quite ignorant about this topic.
    05-06-11 10:54 AM
    To backup what I posted earlier please read:

BlackBerry PlayBook Battery Life Changed with OS 1.0.3? Possible Fixes - BerryReview

Environment
    �BlackBerry PlayBook
    �BlackBerry PlayBook Software 1.0.0 to 1.0.3
    �PR 97674

Cause 1

In BlackBerry PlayBook Software 1.0.3, changes have been made to battery parameters.

Cause 2

The Video Chat application�s User Agreement has not been accepted.

Resolution 1

The BlackBerry PlayBook battery can be retrained by fully discharging and fully recharging the battery a few times.

Resolution 2

On the BlackBerry PlayBook, launch the Video Chat application and accept the User Agreement.

Tim
    Thanks for this. I had noticed since upgrading to the new OS my batterry was running down ridiculously fast. Before it was lasting a couple of days with moderate usuage. Since the upgrade it went from 50% overnight to dead in the morning without ANY use or wifi/bluetooth being on.

I went ahead and accepted the video chat user mumbo jumbo and waiting to see if that solves the battery drain problem.
    05-06-11 11:34 AM
    Yep. Took it off the charger last night at about 95%. Picked it up this morning at it was 91% after about 8 hours.

Good enough for me. Back in great battery life teritory.
    05-07-11 03:20 AM
    Does anyone know if it matters whether you use your 9650/9800/9700 microusb charger to charge your PB?

05-07-11 06:55 AM
    Does anyone know if it matters whether you use your 9650/9800/9700 microusb charger to charge your PB?

not a problem. just takes longer to charge. the good thing is you can charge your bb way faster with pb charger.
    05-07-11 07:04 AM

yes you can rim did the right thing by allowing you to charge via micro usb and rapid plug. i have tested it to, in my car i use a rocket fish charger i bought when i got my torch. ive plugged it in on those days the battery was low due to a long work day, it works just fine. also the last time i was on a trip i had to use a extra 9800 wall charger to charge it that worked fine too. ive also used the wall charger for my pb on my phone and that work good too.
    05-07-11 10:36 AM
    The warranty covers the battery? Thats not what I was told...
    Last edited by Lucky45; 05-07-11 at 01:21 PM.
    05-07-11 01:18 PM
    Do not trust the battery meter, I have been watching a movie for the last 20 minutes, while the meter says 0% the whole time.
    05-07-11 02:47 PM
    Thanks for this. I had noticed since upgrading to the new OS my batterry was running down ridiculously fast. Before it was lasting a couple of days with moderate usuage. Since the upgrade it went from 50% overnight to dead in the morning without ANY use or wifi/bluetooth being on.

I went ahead and accepted the video chat user mumbo jumbo and waiting to see if that solves the battery drain problem.
    Let us know what you find. Having read the forum, I have now accepted the Vid Chat agreement and will see if there is a change as mine had started draining fast as well.

05-07-11 03:33 PM
    updated to 1.0.3.1868 and my battery life is sucking literally. i pulled it off the charger at 7:25 this evening and 2 hours later its down to 86%. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get back my earlier battery performance?
    05-07-11 09:36 PM
    updated to 1.0.3.1868 and my battery life is sucking literally. i pulled it off the charger at 7:25 this evening and 2 hours later its down to 86%. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get back my earlier battery performance?
    1) open video chat and accept the agreement.

2) run battery down to about 5% and then do a full charge.
    05-07-11 10:17 PM
    Thanks Narci. i'll give it a try. I left the Playbook to its own devices after posting my last message, its now 11 P.M. and my unit has drained to 70% battery. Hopefully the fix will cure my units issue. keeping my fingers crossed.
    05-07-11 11:04 PM
    6 am now & battery is at 62%. After accepting the video chat EULA, the drain rate has slowed considerably. 1% per hr rate overnight is way way better than the 6-9%.

Thanks Narci & everyone else for discovering how to fix this issue.
    05-08-11 06:36 AM
    So using the cool charging dock on my bedside table is not a good idea?

If it is made for your PB it should not an issue.

Tim
    05-08-11 06:45 AM
    i have used my pb yesterday. Took it off the charger at 10 am. Went to work. while on the way to work listened to music and read "The Art of War" on the way to work and on the way back home. Also on the way home the train was delayed it took an extra 30 mins so i played tetris while listening to music. so all together it took about 2 to 2.5 hours of listening to music and reading n prob a good 30 mins of playing tetris within that 2.5 hours. From there i went home did some light browsing while watching the heat n celtics game. Then went to a friends house n watched the horrible fight while browsing on the web and answering bbms. It is now 8am in the morning and i havent charged it since around 10 am yesterday and im also typing from this thing "with no auto correct spelling" and im down to 51% battery life. i can say i am happy with the battery life. But not having this autocorrect spelling is killing me.
    05-08-11 07:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD