View Poll Results: How many hours of battery life do you get per average day?

Voters
267. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 - 2 hours

5 1.87%
  • 3 - 5 hours

23 8.61%
  • 6 - 8 hours

93 34.83%
  • 9 - 11 hours

88 32.96%
  • 12 - 14 hours

32 11.99%
  • 15 + hours

26 9.74%
    It seems we have the same battery performance , enzo. I can't compare with the previois firmware cause I bought in last Friday. So I guess it's a firmware issue
    05-08-11 04:14 PM
    it's a problem, I can use my playbook for 12hours and still I have 60% battery remaining, that was before update, but after update 12 hours is the maximum battery life I can get and now is worse just like your battery life it seems that It can only last for 5 hours surfing the web, playing need for speed. That's my problem now, I hope new firmware can fix this. before 3hours for every 2% of battery life. Now 1hour for 20% battery life, and that is bad.
    05-08-11 04:17 PM
    yes we have same problem SuperduckWC, I wish to go back to previous version of OS that gives my playbook 20+ hours of battery life, else hope RIM can fix this issue on next update.
    05-08-11 04:22 PM
    anyone else have this problem?
    05-08-11 04:30 PM
    heck the previous ios build people complained about a 4hr decrease on the ipad1-2. dont believe me go the tipb and check back i think two months ago, many of them were down around 6hrs or so. they will fix it just keep your undies on.
    Last edited by drethos; 05-08-11 at 05:52 PM.
    05-08-11 05:50 PM
    So I used a 32GB PB for awhile. It lasted a full day with no hickups. However....

the 64GB... it can't even last half a day. I don't think it has to do with the memory eating my power...but then its the only difference :x...
    05-08-11 09:20 PM
    I'm getting anywhere from 6-12 hours. I've started turning off my phone's bluetooth with the bridge when I'm not using it, which saves both my phone and PlayBook battery, and I've also started turning off the PlayBook when I'm not using it. The bridge is definitely a drain, but I love it so I don't mind recharging if I keep it on all day. I can't be sure if the OS upgrade made it worse; my usage changes so much from day-to-day. I purchased a FiveSpot WiFi to have WiFi anywhere, and that gives me more opportunities to use the PlayBook and therefore drain the battery. I carry car chargers for the phone, PlayBook, and FiveSpot, in case I get stuck. I'm definitely using the PlayBook more. I've fallen in love with the Poynt feature that pairs the phone, finds a business, etc., sends phone call to phone and adds address to contacts, which can then be added to BlackBerry Traffic and BlackBerry Maps. Wow!
    Last edited by padamssm; 05-08-11 at 10:02 PM.
    05-08-11 09:55 PM
    Hard to tell. I haven't drained my battery yet during a single day. The worse I did was about 50%
    05-08-11 10:17 PM
    I can get about 10hours of usage now (thanks in part to RIM's Tech Support).

The interesting thing about my device is once it hits 0% it will keep going for another hour and a half...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-11 11:12 PM
    i put 9-11 hours, i highly doubt anyone gets 15 hours of actual use on it, the ipad 2 doesn't even get that, and it has a much better type of battery in it, i don't know why RIM didn't use lithium-polymer.
    05-08-11 11:27 PM
    I use to get 12 to 15 hours on the 1710 version. I only had to charge every other day. On the current version of software I only get 6 to 8 hours, about half what I got previously.
    I would love to keep the enhancements of the current software with the battery life of the previous version.
    05-08-11 11:44 PM
    Mine seem to die quickly as I bridge it to my BB. I have noticed at times the battery gets drained too quickly. Sometimes the device will not chrage till I restart the device.

I am sure the device might last a max 6 hrs which I doubt also, if used regularly.
    05-09-11 06:19 AM
    So I used a 32GB PB for awhile. It lasted a full day with no hickups. However....

the 64GB... it can't even last half a day. I don't think it has to do with the memory eating my power...but then its the only difference :x...
    Could it really be that the extra memory requires more current from the battery? More memory, more current?
    05-09-11 06:19 AM
    Pretty good actually. Since the bridge browser is too slow to use...so have torely on wifi while outside. Last a workday.
    05-09-11 06:21 AM
    i put 9-11 hours, i highly doubt anyone gets 15 hours of actual use on it, the ipad 2 doesn't even get that, and it has a much better type of battery in it, i don't know why RIM didn't use lithium-polymer.
    What type of battery did they use?

05-09-11 09:00 AM
    Maybe they use acid battery..hehe
    05-09-11 09:03 AM
    Anyone else notice that the PlayBook does not charge if you turn it off (NOT standby mode)?

Also, to the person who said he drains his battery every time, that's the worst thing you can do to your battery. Consistently draining your battery is not good. You should be plugging in your device (be it a tablet, laptop, smartphone) any opportunity you have.
    05-09-11 09:34 AM
    I was getting good battery life, 8-10+ hrs, a week or so ago but less mid to end of last week.
    I remembered a similar thing happening on an old phone with a different OS so I tried an experiment.

Just after I got my PB I had already wondered how much battery drain would occur by leaving it in standby mode over night. I charged it to 100%, closed all apps and made sure Bluetooth & wifi were off. Did this two days running. Each morning when I got up I would still have 93-95% remaining.

Starting a couple of days ago I was waking up to 63 to 75% remaining. Starting with 100% the night before with everything closed and off.

That's when I remembered the old phone/OS having the same problem after I had installed some free 3rd party apps. Sure enough I had installed two 3rd party free PB apps just before I noticed the overnight drain. I deleted both of them and ran the same test. I am back to starting the day with 93-95% of battery the last two mornings.

Whether one of the apps closed on the screen but kept running in the background or tried "phoning home" so to speak, or whatever, I don't know. But I do know deleting them helped my battery life. As I get time I may re-install one at a time and run my tests again.
    Matt J likes this.
    05-09-11 10:22 AM
    Sure enough I had installed two 3rd party free PB apps just before I noticed the overnight drain. I deleted both of them and ran the same test. I am back to starting the day with 93-95% of battery the last two mornings.
    Can you tell us what those third-party apps were?
    05-09-11 10:25 AM
    Matt,

If it is ok I will PM them to you. Since I don't know yet which one it may have been I don't want to make an unfounded claim it was one or the other.

I should have ended my above post with:

If anyone begins to get a battery drain for a seemingly un-explained reason take a look at any newly installed apps. They could be the culprit. I also like that I can go back into the un-installed programs menu to see what I've tried before. And can re-install if I want to.
    05-09-11 10:41 AM
    Matt,

If it is ok I will PM them to you. Since I don't know yet which one it may have been I don't want to make an unfounded claim it was one or the other.

I should have ended my above post with:

If anyone begins to get a battery drain for a seemingly un-explained reason take a look at any newly installed apps. They could be the culprit. I also like that I can go back into the un-installed programs menu to see what I've tried before. And can re-install if I want to.
    Thanks!
    05-09-11 01:32 PM
    Over the weekend, i allowed it to completely drain, recharged to full, then constantly ran a movie, played games, surfed, all while I left BT and WiFi on. So with consistent use throughout the day, I got 11+ hours with about 16% remaining.

Funny though, even with 0% remaining indicated, i still got another 20 minutes out of it. Then it konked out...

Agreeing to the license agreement definitely helped, and so far, looks like letting the battery completely discharge then recharging it to retrain it has helped - as per RIM FAQ.

FYI - After unplugging the pb at around 11pm fully charged last night, BT and Wifi off, i had 97% remaining this morning at 9am. So not bad with 9 hrs of non use and only 3% discharged.

On Standby mode since 9am, mostly unused but with BT and Wifi on throughout, used for about 1.5 hrs during lunch and few times to watch streaming news from CP24 news, surfing CNN and CB, still have 64% remaining at 6pm. Not sure if thats great, but it is what it is....
    05-09-11 04:57 PM
    Agreeing to the license agreement definitely helped, and so far, looks like letting the battery completely discharge then recharging it to retrain it has helped - as per RIM FAQ.
    Please provide a link to this because according to the RIM web site, they state:

Extending your battery life
    To help extend your BlackBerry� PlayBook� tablet battery life, charge it regularly, close applications that you're not using, and keep it out of the sun and other hot places.
    05-09-11 05:25 PM
    I get pretty good battery life, but I notice since my upgrade to the latest OS, the PlayBook shuts down -- without warning -- with about 10 percent left on my battery monitor. Anyone else having this issue?

I don't get an early warning or anything. Just shuts off.
    05-09-11 08:32 PM
    Well I have an issue.

I used the PB 32G 1710 build and I was able to last a whole day, with around 50remaining.

I exchanged it for a 64GB. OS .1868 and I've experience some very bad battery life.

Today I play 2hrs of movies, maybe 1hr of surfing. The rest was on standby and it died on me. The PB left the charger at 1pm and at 7p, I had low battery warning.

I feel there's an issue with the battery life as well :3. Does 64GB naturally take more power? Lolz

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-09-11 09:13 PM
81 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD