View Poll Results: How many hours of battery life do you get per average day?

Voters
267. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 - 2 hours

5 1.87%
  • 3 - 5 hours

23 8.61%
  • 6 - 8 hours

93 34.83%
  • 9 - 11 hours

88 32.96%
  • 12 - 14 hours

32 11.99%
  • 15 + hours

26 9.74%
    Now that the early adopters have had a couple of weeks with their PlayBook's, what is your battery life experience. Since we all have different usage habits, this poll will summarize all of us so we can see if RIM lived up to their 10 hours of constant use claim.
    roger33-33 and mertin.m like this.
    05-08-11 08:16 AM
    I voted 15+

I get up at 5 to 7 a.m.... and by 10 p.m. or so... I still have a bit of juice left. I assume RIM will keep working on efficiency, but it's quite the workhorse.
    05-08-11 08:26 AM
    mines off the charger around 7am and usually back on around 10pm ish as well. usually ill have 10-20% at that time
    05-08-11 08:47 AM
    Do you mean of constant use or from when you take it off the charger to when you take it off? It generally lasts 6 hours of heavy gaming, but most days I don't have to put it on the charger until the end of the day...
    05-08-11 08:51 AM
    The average day is what I was referring to.
    05-08-11 08:53 AM
    I get between 9 - 11 hours, so I am more than happy with it.
    05-08-11 08:53 AM
    When compared to the average laptop, my 15+ hours is phenomenal!!
    Last edited by Matt J; 05-08-11 at 09:42 AM.
    05-08-11 08:54 AM
    I voted 15+ as well. I actually get about 2 days out of mine with moderate to lite use and I always let it stay in standby never turning it off. With heavy constant use for watching videos, web browsing, or gaming I get a solid 6-8 hours depending on just what I am doing. I have noticed when connected HDMI it does burn battery pretty fast but that isn't a huge shock to me.
    05-08-11 09:46 AM
    Charge it in 4th day (23% before charging).
    05-08-11 09:46 AM
    for some reason i only get a few jours and the battery is already at 35%.

i charged it twice yesterday.

only listened to 55 min of audio, and browsed internet for about 40 min, and played sling golf for about 35 min.

battery is terrible so far. i easily get 8+ out of mynetbook.

but i have to say, the battery was better before this last firmware update.

edit: ie-i just took it off the charger at9am, and itis now 923am, and the battery is at 83%. all i have done so far os browse couple of websites, make a few posts here, and checkappworld for amail. and there goes 17%!
    Last edited by ceroberts75; 05-08-11 at 11:25 AM.
    05-08-11 11:22 AM
    I initially got 12-15 hours per day while on 1710, but since the update it has cut down to 7-9 hours. i am in hopes that this will improve with more updates, and i am sure it will.
    05-08-11 11:26 AM
    figures are nothing without context, how about what your using connection wise, for example if ya have wifi on and are bridged or you tether, thats gonna cut into your battery life, so a figure without whats connected is not totally indicitive of battery life
    05-08-11 11:33 AM
    for some reason i only get a few jours and the battery is already at 35%.

i charged it twice yesterday.

only listened to 55 min of audio, and browsed internet for about 40 min, and played sling golf for about 35 min.

battery is terrible so far. i easily get 8+ out of mynetbook.

but i have to say, the battery was better before this last firmware update.

edit: ie-i just took it off the charger at9am, and itis now 923am, and the battery is at 83%. all i have done so far os browse couple of websites, make a few posts here, and checkappworld for amail. and there goes 17%!
    To be honest it sounds like you have a bad PlayBook. What type of settings do you have for the screen brightness and things like that. I have mine set fairly low to maximum battery life. But even if you didn't that much gone in 30 minutes seems high. I took mine off the charger Friday afternoon, used it for about an hour to an hour and a half. Let it sit till Saturday, used it for web surfing and games for about 2 hours then hooked it to the tv to watch the last episode of Justified (45minutes) and have been using it today almost non stop since I woke up at 9am and my battery is at 30% and it is now 11:30am here. I always leave it in standby when not using and have the latest OS installed. I think yours has a defect for sure...but I could be wrong...
    05-08-11 11:36 AM
    The users here who claim they get 11+ hours... WHAT are you doing with your PB?

Of course if you turn ON the PB and dont use it much during the day, most of the time it would be in some half-sleep mode.

While using it - surfing the net, listening to music, watching videos, playing games - 6-8 hours is all I can get out of it...

Comparing it to my iPad2, I get about 2/3rd of the iPads time on my PB.

Am so far not complaining about the battery - but hopefully we would eventually reach a state where we are capable of using the device in full-day meetings for taking notes and surfing the net....

Another battery drainer is the Bluetooth and Bridge/tether connection. Turning Off BT gives for my device almost 2 more hours run-time.
    05-08-11 12:15 PM
    I get a "SOLID" ten (10) hours of battery life under normal usage(media, notes, bbm, email ect.) with approx 20% left at the end of the day. I'm not a big gamer (ps3 for that) so I would say RIM was accurate in their test under "normal" usage.
    05-08-11 12:28 PM
    I get a "SOLID" ten (10) hours of battery life under normal usage(media, notes, bbm, email ect.) with approx 20% left at the end of the day. I'm not a big gamer (ps3 for that) so I would say RIM was accurate in their test under "normal" usage.
    Is your Bluetooth on all the time? Bridge enabled all the time?
    Wifi On/off?
    05-08-11 12:30 PM
    All i know is i dont worry about the battery and thats all i need. Even with heavy use and downloads etc during the first couple of days i never had to charge it mid day. I think a big thing would be remembering to turn off wifi when your not using it

There is no way anybody is getting real world use out if this and getting more than 10 hours of battery. And the only explanation for 2 hours would be a defective unit...

I'm also trying to let the battery drain fully before charging it as well. Not sure if that matters anymore but its a hard habit to break.

Overall I'm happy with the battery life.
    05-08-11 12:52 PM
    Oh, I forgot to mention.... my Wi-Fi and Bluetooth/Bridge is on ALL the time. 15+ hours.
    05-08-11 01:21 PM
    A little to early to tell, I haven't put it down yet. With heavy use 6-8 hrs.
    05-08-11 01:30 PM
    The users here who claim they get 11+ hours... WHAT are you doing with your PB?

Of course if you turn ON the PB and dont use it much during the day, most of the time it would be in some half-sleep mode.

While using it - surfing the net, listening to music, watching videos, playing games - 6-8 hours is all I can get out of it...

Comparing it to my iPad2, I get about 2/3rd of the iPads time on my PB.

Am so far not complaining about the battery - but hopefully we would eventually reach a state where we are capable of using the device in full-day meetings for taking notes and surfing the net....

Another battery drainer is the Bluetooth and Bridge/tether connection. Turning Off BT gives for my device almost 2 more hours run-time.
    Not sure if it helps or not, but i get easily 12-15 hrs, whenever I put the PB to sleep i turn all connections off bluetooth/wifi, i also have my screen brightness at the lowest setting and the standby time is pretty low as well.
    05-08-11 01:37 PM
    With me there is no such thing as a normal day i can wake up around 6am and be plugging it into anything with power at 12am or be able to go to 6pm and just be putting it down. My activity is usually swipe on the screen check the forums i usually do, then put it on standby go to work between calls when i got nothing better to do and read (especially since i beat need4speed) or leach off of someones open wifi signal if available. OR days like today play around on need4speed for about an hour "grinding" money to get a extra car i like (anything non-American made) using the browser, bbming (even glitchy i love it), then using kobo to read some more. I went from 7:30-12:30ish and hit 5% then plugged it in. I don't use the rapid charger any more because i don't trust the way it connects. i can dock it and it will connect and start charging then stop for no apparent reason were as the stock charger works every time.
    05-08-11 01:46 PM
    I get about 6 extensive usage hours - 12 hours regular use meaning I take it off the cahrger in the morning and won't charge again until the evening.
    05-08-11 01:52 PM
    first firmware version is better, i can get 20+ hours, but now, i can only get 12hours and my battery already drain, 0% of battery but still i managed to play need for speed and surf the web for an hour before the unit turn off, 12hours of battery in frequent use not in standby mode, wifi on surfing the web and playing games, i hope i can go back to the first OS version.
    05-08-11 03:38 PM
    During intensive web browsing(flash java activated.50% brightness) I have, in average. 1% battery drained every 3-4mn, not sure if it's normal, but I guess 5 hours of web browsing without pluging it on the wall is good I guess... no?
    I un plugged it on Friday after noon and now I have 17%
    Last edited by SuperDuckWC; 05-08-11 at 04:01 PM.
    05-08-11 03:59 PM
    It seems that My playbooks battery life is getting worse now, My battery already lost 20% after an hour, wifi on, surfing web, facebook app open, playing need for speed, Before @ first OS version 20+ hours is manageable, with this new OS version I only get 12 hours, I drain my battery last night and charge it because someone mentioned that it can help bring back my playbook battery life to normal but now I feel like I can only get 5hours. Can hardware reset will resolve this issue? will it [hardware reset] clear my files on my playbook? what to expect in hardware reset?
    05-08-11 04:08 PM
81 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD