Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan Wallace
  1. Alan Wallace's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Question Battery Life

    I had a quick look through the forum but couldn't see my problem,also I'm impatient.

    I've had my Playbook for around 3 weeks ,for the first 2 weeks I never noticed a huge decrease in battery charge...eg. I would charge it to 100% at night and in the morning,having been on standby all night it would still be around 91%,this last week though it has been draining quickly...eg. last night I charged it to 100% and this morning it was only 60% charged.Can anyone suggest anything daft I might be doing?Also,can I use the playbook while it's charging,sort of like working it off the mains,or will this do any damage?I have a Kindle Fire HD an it takes a few days to go down from 100% to 50%.Can I buy a new battery for the Playbook,if so what battery do I get and where is the best place to buy one?Is it easy to fit a new battery?Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to tablets,I have an intermediate PC knowledge but I'm a total Noob with tablets.
    toosho likes this.
  2. Chaddface's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,508 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Manual sync with the native email has caused problems for some people. You could have an app that didn't close properly. Try a reboot by holding the power button and volume + until the PB turns off. Do you leave any apps open while in standby?
    You can safely use the PB while connected to the charger.
    Thanked by:
    tour_ism (02-11-2013) 
  3. Alan Wallace's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Thanks,I did set up email but took it off again.I just set it to "pause all Apps while not in use" it was set to the default "Apps run in the background" or something like that,will that make any difference?
    Thank you also for the reboot information.
  4. Chaddface's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,508 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    The reboot should work for you. I have seen some apps on my wife's PB that drain the battery fast even in standby.
    There is an app in Appworld called Battery Guru. I leave it running all the time. It will allow you to see how much power the PB is using. It also displays battery percent, voltage, health and recharge count. All this information is logged as long as the app is running.
    I had some excessive drain not to long ago and could see on the apps graph some power spikes that coincided with my internet connection dropping and reconnecting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Life-img_00000185.jpg  
  5. Alan Wallace's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Thanks Chad....the reboot must have worked,it's only lost about 2% of charge since doing it a good few hours ago now.
  6. winjher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    man will the reboot will erase some files and datas ?
  7. Chaddface's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,508 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winjher View Post
    man will the reboot will erase some files and datas ?
    The reboot as I described will not erase anything. You should save anything you're working on just as if you were turning the PB off.
  8. Chaddface's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,508 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Wallace View Post
    Thanks Chad....the reboot must have worked,it's only lost about 2% of charge since doing it a good few hours ago now.
    I'm glad it worked for you. Anytime you run into trouble try the reboot first.
    Thanked by:
    Alan Wallace (12-11-2012) 
  9. castoridae's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,289 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddface View Post
    The reboot should work for you. I have seen some apps on my wife's PB that drain the battery fast even in standby.
    There is an app in Appworld called Battery Guru. I leave it running all the time. It will allow you to see how much power the PB is using. It also displays battery percent, voltage, health and recharge count. All this information is logged as long as the app is running.
    I had some excessive drain not to long ago and could see on the apps graph some power spikes that coincided with my internet connection dropping and reconnecting.
    Hey Chad, do you mean turning on and off the internet connection on the playbook uses up alot of battery power? I read here that tur nng it off when not in use saved the battery, so I've been doing it several times a day.
  10. Chaddface's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,508 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by castoridae View Post
    Hey Chad, do you mean turning on and off the internet connection on the playbook uses up alot of battery power? I read here that tur nng it off when not in use saved the battery, so I've been doing it several times a day.
    No. I had an issue with my ISP. They had to replace the wire at the pole and replaced my router for good measure. The Battery Guru app showed spikes in power consumption while in standby which lead me to dig deeper into the cause. My wifi logs showed multiple connect and disconnect events.

    I suppose it can't hurt to turn off wifi when not in use but I only see a percent or two difference overnight in stanby. I leave all connections on all the time.
  11. castoridae's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,289 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddface View Post
    No. I had an issue with my ISP. They had to replace the wire at the pole and replaced my router for good measure. The Battery Guru app showed spikes in power consumption while in standby which lead me to dig deeper into the cause. My wifi logs showed multiple connect and disconnect events.

    I suppose it can't hurt to turn off wifi when not in use but I only see a percent or two difference overnight in stanby. I leave all connections on all the time.
    ok, I have to sign on at different from my PC, my work laptop and my playbook, so it sounded lime good advice to be in the habit of signing off one device, so that later on if you need to access the other one, you are not signed on to 2 at the same time. Also I operate with only 2 gigs on my wifi
  12. 312Lorden's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    475 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Wallace View Post
    Thanks Chad....the reboot must have worked,it's only lost about 2% of charge since doing it a good few hours ago now.
    _________
    I've tried re-booting once but don't remember if battery drainage drained slower, so I'll try again. As for battery Guru I have read that many are using this App. I check my battery status from time to time by tapping on the battery icon at top right of screen.

    While using my PB lately with wi-fi running I notice that the battery drains very quickly. I do not do multitasking, keeping things simple like checking my email or reading internet sources (one at a time) or checking Docs to Go or Calendar, and within less than 2 hours my battery level drops down from 95% to 53%. I do not have Bluetooth turned on, Screen brightness is about Medium, so what gives?

    I am on the latest OS (some claim this latest OS drains the battery faster, some say not)
  13. castoridae's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,289 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    I'm not getting any success with a hard boot. I'm sorry to say that I now have 9 screen shots from trying because the shutter goes off and then the playbook turns off and I have to manually turn it back on. I've tried holding down both vol buttons w/the off button and also just the vol up with the off button.
  14. jpash549's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,640 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,866 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Suggest loading Advanced Manager from app world to help you check on what is running. Also if you have notifications set for social, news or email apps decrease frequency. Use Battery Guru to explore and find out what is causing battery drain. If you are running 25% battery use per hour you are running about 5 watts instead of a more normal 2.5-3 watts for the things you mention.

    Isn't shutting off using the icon the same as what we are talking about as a hard boot?
  15. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    I keep the display brightness at approximately 25% all the time and WiFi and Bluetooth are active except when I switch to airplane mode before placing the tablet in standby mode. BlckBerry Bridge email, WiFi web browser, editing various documents, etc. and get approximately 2 days use out of a fully-charged battery.

Similar Threads

  1. poor battery life...
    By fatreg in forum BlackBerry 87xx Series
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-01-2007, 07:15 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 10:53 AM
  3. Miraculous Return of Curve Battery Life!
    By Kevin Michaluk in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 02:33 PM
  4. 8800 poor battery life?
    By Gringo in forum BlackBerry 8800, 8820
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-30-2007, 04:37 AM
  5. 8700 Battery Life Expectancy
    By Kevin Michaluk in forum BlackBerry 87xx Series
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-28-2007, 09:19 PM

Posting Permissions