I've had my 32GB playbook since January, now. Quite pleased, overall, but a little concerned about the battery health. When I first bought it, I downloaded the Battery Guru app and the health showed as being 89%. I thought that might be a little low for a brand new unit, but I wasn't too worried about it. However, the health has since dropped to 84% (after thirty-four charge cycles, as measured by Battery Guru), and seems to keep dropping every time the playbook is discharged below forty percent or so. Am I doing something wrong here? Or is there a problem with the battery? I know that it's generally better to keep L-ion batteries topped up, charge wise, but to only be able to use half the battery life, or else damage the battery, seems a little bit ridiculous.

I'd contact RIM, but I'm pretty sure they'll tell me to send it to them to have the battery repaired, and I've had issues with them damaging items in the past. Any advice?
    03-31-13 03:11 PM
    Try putting it on a slow charger overnight. Like one of the little wall pucks that come with the blackberry phones.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 03:12 PM
    Hi, VHgamer,

That's actually how I usually charge it, anyways. During the day I use the rapid charger, but at night I just use the slow charger that came with it. Does the speed of the charging affect battery health?
    03-31-13 04:11 PM
    I've had my 32GB playbook since January, now. Quite pleased, overall, but a little concerned about the battery health. When I first bought it, I downloaded the Battery Guru app and the health showed as being 89%. I thought that might be a little low for a brand new unit, but I wasn't too worried about it. However, the health has since dropped to 84% (after thirty-four charge cycles, as measured by Battery Guru), and seems to keep dropping every time the playbook is discharged below forty percent or so. Am I doing something wrong here? Or is there a problem with the battery? I know that it's generally better to keep L-ion batteries topped up, charge wise, but to only be able to use half the battery life, or else damage the battery, seems a little bit ridiculous.

I'd contact RIM, but I'm pretty sure they'll tell me to send it to them to have the battery repaired, and I've had issues with them damaging items in the past. Any advice?

The Battery Guru developer contributes to these threads using the name, peter9477. Questions like yours have been discussed many times. Doubt if your battery health has dropped far enough yet to justify replacement. From previous discussions the health number can jump around a bit and may be in the process of stabilizing. Maybe a relevant thread reference is posted below.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=711934

Battery life may be extended by avoiding repeated deep discharge and charging to a little less than the 4.2 volts usually taken to be 100% charge. Thus keeping topped off on the charger will not extend battery life. See Battery University for info on tests on LiPo batteries.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
    03-31-13 05:25 PM