Thanks Chaddface and F2 for the excellent responses above. (I wasn't subscribed to this thread, and hadn't noticed it lately.)

What they say is correct about the limitations of the Keep Awake feature. I'd say it does work exactly as I've documented it to work, but I'm very precise in the description's wording and you should take that into account when considering whether it will suit your needs: "Use Showcase mode and keep any part of Battery Guru's window visible (even minimized) for this to work properly."

The obvious question is always "Will it let me run this other app and still use the Keep Awake function to prevent standby?" and the answer -- which should be obvious if you carefully read the description above -- is "Yes, but not if you plan to make that app full-screen, because then no part of Battery Guru's window will be visible, will it?" See Chaddface's excellent screenshot above for the 1000-word version of this.
    05-02-13 06:54 PM
    Is there a way to change the size of the app displays? For example, I would like to have my Nautical Chart app occupying most of screen with just a very small piece of Battery Guru visible so as to keep the PB awake at all times.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-15-13 11:15 AM
    Thanks Chaddface and F2 for the excellent responses above. (I wasn't subscribed to this thread, and hadn't noticed it lately.)

What they say is correct about the limitations of the Keep Awake feature. I'd say it does work exactly as I've documented it to work, but I'm very precise in the description's wording and you should take that into account when considering whether it will suit your needs: "Use Showcase mode and keep any part of Battery Guru's window visible (even minimized) for this to work properly."

The obvious question is always "Will it let me run this other app and still use the Keep Awake function to prevent standby?" and the answer -- which should be obvious if you carefully read the description above -- is "Yes, but not if you plan to make that app full-screen, because then no part of Battery Guru's window will be visible, will it?" See Chaddface's excellent screenshot above for the 1000-word version of this.
    If you have your nautical app full screen only when you are using it and minimize at other times when you are not thus allowing the Battery Guru to show would that not work?
    07-15-13 02:32 PM
    If you have your nautical app full screen only when you are using it and minimize at other times when you are not thus allowing the Battery Guru to show would that not work?
    The only way the app will stay live is if BG is active and visible. Once I go full screen with the nav app, I have just 5 minutes before it goes to sleep. When navigating down a tricky channel, you want to be able to see the chart at all times so you know where you are relative to rocks etc. The chart is too small when minimized to really see it properly. So helmsman would have to switch back and forth between full screen and minimized every 4 minutes or so, so as to not go into sleep mode. Not a practical solution.

That is why I wondered if one app could have a larger screen presence than the other.

From what I can gather, the app developer could perhaps build in some code to keep his app active? (I have asked BB, but not yet got an answer on that). But really that should be part of the OS like it is on almost all other devices.
    07-15-13 03:43 PM
    The screen timeout (standby) has been complained about, almost from the introduction of the pb. Only if the developer manages to tackle the issue in their app, will the screen stay on. There should have been (and never will be) an option to "keep screen on if powered by ac."
    07-15-13 03:48 PM
    The screen timeout (standby) has been complained about, almost from the introduction of the pb. Only if the developer manages to tackle the issue in their app, will the screen stay on. There should have been (and never will be) an option to "keep screen on if powered by ac."
    I had a reply from jsanders at BB. He suggested using BGuru. But as mentioned that does not solve problem. He is looking into it further for me. But as you say, it is likely the developer that will have to fix the problem.

My question here, was really to find out if there is any control for user over the size of the minimized app displays. It was suggested that I have just a small part of BG visible. But I don't see any way to control how much is visible. This is only way, other than full screen, I can get apps to display:
    Battery guru app???-img_00000043.jpg
    07-15-13 04:13 PM
    I had a reply from jsanders at BB. He suggested using BGuru. But as mentioned that does not solve problem. He is looking into it further for me. But as you say, it is likely the developer that will have to fix the problem.

My question here, was really to find out if there is any control for user over the size of the minimized app displays. It was suggested that I have just a small part of BG visible. But I don't see any way to control how much is visible. This is only way, other than full screen, I can get apps to display:
    You are doing it the only way it works. If the app"s developer didn't include a way to keep the screen on, the you have to run in that sort of minimized way with a piece of an "always on" app showing. And you can't change the size of those "mimimized" apps. Definitely a hassle and prolly something BlackBerry could rectify relatively easily if they could be bothered.

From my SQN100-1 on Bell (10.1.0.4543)
    07-15-13 05:34 PM
    Suppose you tap the screen every four-5 minutes? Maybe another PB accessory would be a little felt hammer to hit the screen. Of course you just want the screen to start another five minutes not have the app do something crazy.
    07-15-13 07:10 PM
    Funny thing, is that I don't recall the app going into sleep mode last year. The developer updated the app several times for use with BB10. There is an option in the set up menu that allows you chose to keep app awake - but only for BB10 and above (it says)

I suspect the app did stay awake several versions ago, but now does not I may have to go back to using my 2000 vintage iPaq which other than the small screen and non seamless transfer from one chart to the next, otherwise still works and has a way better CF GPS that logs on to satellites quickly and has high degree of accuracy.
    07-15-13 09:24 PM
    Suppose you tap the screen every four-5 minutes? Maybe another PB accessory would be a little felt hammer to hit the screen. Of course you just want the screen to start another five minutes not have the app do something crazy.
    I was thinking along those lines - set an event or timer for 4:45 or so minutes. I think that can be in the background. When it pops up reset it. I don't know how practical.
    07-15-13 11:43 PM
    When using a gps app, the gps updates the boat (or car's) position continuously and the chart re-positions to keep the boat in the centre. When this app worked for me in the past, I assumed it was this constant updating of the screen that was keeping the app live. But now that does not work. I have asked developer what might have changed in the updates he has made since last year, but no response yet.
    07-16-13 08:43 AM
    i was just using this app...and i was wondering about the purge option? what exactly is it?
    05-09-17 09:51 AM
    Also, I am wondering how accurate the reading on the overall 'battery health' is , because yesterday when I loaded the app it gave me a battery health of 69%...i was really worried about that because I bought it brand new in december, only five months ago. Anyways today when I turned on my playbook again I was relieve to see that it was at 92%.....
    05-10-17 01:14 AM
    Purge ... will purge(destroy) earlier records.
    Health reading has probably some margin error. There should be reset or recalibration function, I guess? (don't remember exactly).
    About the app:
    Battery Guru
    05-11-17 03:35 PM
    Ah the best reading I've gotten since I've installed this app! Battery health 99%! On a 5 year old device!
    Attached Thumbnails Battery guru app???-img_00000822.png  
    05-24-17 11:55 PM
65 123