Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Bla1ze
  • 1 Post By Tim6191
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Bad Apps in AppWorld and the lack of a way to report them

First, let me say that I love my BlackBerry Bold and my PlayBook and I am anxiously looking forward to getting a new BlackBerry 10. Having said that, I am really disappointed with BlackBerry AppWorld's lack of integrity in rating apps and the lack of a way to report bad apps.

I recently purchased a game from AppWorld called FLOW from Ivy Studio. It is a knock off of a game I saw on an ipad. It was pretty fun to play for the first couple of days but then I got the notification in the left corner of my PlayBook that the game had an update available. Usually, when you purchase a game the updates are included but still no big deal. I declined the paid update and thought that was that. Not so, every day, at least two times a day I got notifications to update the game. I hadn't commented yet so I decided to let other AppWorld users know that I thought the game was pretty fun but it required that you pay for updates and what I thought about that. Needless to say I only gave the app 2 stars. I posted my comment and checked the reviews. There it was along with 44 other comments about the game. I felt like I had done my due diligence and was planning to delete it to stop the annoying reminders to update. I went back to AppWorld the next day to check my comment and discovered that it, along with about 20 others, was not there anymore. In fact, the only comments that were 4 and 5 star ones. All the negative ones were gone.

After searching for days for a place to report the app through AppWorld and on the BlackBerry website, I called BlackBerry to complain. I was basically told by the customer service representative that the app developers control the comments. Is that correct? Someone please tell me that it isn't so. If it is true does anyone else see this as a serious integrity issue for AppWorld or am I just being naive?
    Last edited by Tim6191; 01-14-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typo

You are naive - well, not really. But, yes, developers can remove reviews that they don't like. There are threads on that here already.

You might ask for a refund.

As far as rating it - well, as long as you keep it honest, you've done it here for others to read. Also, maybe on the BB forum again, keeping it factual about the issues you ran into.

Appworld/pb does create automatic notices about app upgrades, particularly, when you restart/reboot the pb. I'm not sure that those can be avoided. I think you can hit the little "x" to remove the notification during any particular restart session.
    Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    11,900 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tim6191 View Post
    After searching for days for a place to report the app through AppWorld and on the BlackBerry website, I called BlackBerry to complain. I was basically told by the customer service representative that the app developers control the comments. Is that correct? Someone please tell me that it isn't so. If it is true does anyone else see this as a serious integrity issue for AppWorld or am I just being naive?
    Yes, developers can remove comments but the removals have to be approved. They don't just happen automatically... someone does see them aside from the developer. However, I do agree. It's not the best policy but on the other end of the spectrum, bad apps and bad devs have to deal with people like you. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just simply mean word gets around. You didn't like the process. What did you do? You posted here informing others. Many others do the same and word spreads, the developers who don't treat their customers right become known and people ultimately end up avoiding them.
    Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard. - The Doctor

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Connectedly]
    Barljo and Sansu94 like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,091 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    Yes, developers can remove comments but the removals have to be approved. They don't just happen automatically... someone does see them aside from the developer. However, I do agree. It's not the best policy but on the other end of the spectrum, bad apps and bad devs have to deal with people like you. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just simply mean word gets around. You didn't like the process. What did you do? You posted here informing others. Many others do the same and word spreads, the developers who don't treat their customers right become known and people ultimately end up avoiding them.
    Free trials go a long way in weeding out apps to see if they are a fit for ones needs or demo's on Crackberry work very well also.
    Negative thinking destroys your brain cells and causes global warming.*- Dodinsky (The Scientific Institute of Get Over It!) Action Spots
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,860 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

The game flow by ivy studios had a RIM related bug requesting owners to pay again for just a maintenance upgrade. If you would have emailed the dev (whose email is available on the appworld download page) they would have told you that. They let me know 10 minutes after I sent them an email.

The bug has since been fixed and I enjoy flow on my PlayBook and phone and I only had to buy it once.
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

After my comments and average to negative comments of others were removed i became very skeptical of the integrity of Ivy Studio. I decided rather than open myself up to possible other problems I'd just take the loss. If it was a bug why delete negative comments? Why not just fix it and let user comments reflect the value of your app?
    crazymonk likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Tim6191 View Post
    After my comments and average to negative comments of others were removed i became very skeptical of the integrity of Ivy Studio. I decided rather than open myself up to possible other problems I'd just take the loss. If it was a bug why delete negative comments? Why not just fix it and let user comments reflect the value of your app?
    I couldn't agree more. Bought the InLink app and decided to use it a few weeks to give it a fair shake. Sent a couple of emails to developer with some items that were buggy and some improvements that the app needed over others. Heard nothing back. Left a 3 star review and indicated that I had not heard back to my email.... comment deleted. There goes my counter argument to Apple users about BB having fewer but more quality apps...
    CrackBerry Abuser

I have had a similar experience with a different app. What I did was hold my finger on the app then tap the garbage can. It solved the problem. Prior to this I went into App World and tapped Delete which didn't do the job.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

How to Spot a Genuine App Review
    It seems that BlackBerry may have listened to me and probably the countless others who are wondering where their honest feedback about apps sold in AppWorld (soon to be known as BlackBerry World) went and posted an article about how to divine if you're getting a good one or a dud. The article suggests looking to see if the reviews are by the Flintstones or if the app has a low number of reviews. If so, the article says you may want to steer clear of that app.

I am still saying BlackBerry please close up the holes that allow fake reviews and don't allow developers to delete real comments in AppWorld or BlackBerry World. You don't have to test the 70k apps that are supposed to be coming with BlackBerry 10 but when we do, don't let our honest feedback get removed.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

So with John Chen focusing on BlackBerry's strengths and security instead of trying to copy Apple, why not have hire a crew to monitor submissions to BlackBerry World? I say cut out the knock off apps and malware that people mistakenly buy thinking they are getting the real thing. Has BlackBerry stopped letting developers delete negative feedback yet?
    Malware is a huge growing problem! If you don't believe me just ask Target. Having less, but quality and BlackBerry certified secure apps could be contrasted against the millions of useless and potentially dangerous apps Apple offers as a huge selling point to compliment Chen's focus on the company's many other strengths.

Posted via CB10