Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ThaSwapMeetPimp
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Backlight wire loose?

I thought I had read something about this, but after 30 mins searching I can't find it again.
    My history of late with tech is no good. Recently moved and my MBP died as did my external HDD. PB was the onlything I had to connect to the net for the last two months. Was planning on buying a mac mini in a couple weeks.

However this last week the PB is experiencing an annoying change.
    There seemingly is a loose wire for the backlight as it turns off all the time, after 2-3 secs and I have to squeeze the back to turn it on again. Thus every couple seconds I am squeezig and flexing the back panel to keep the screen bright. Annoying, but more so that it is the only web connection I have.

Anyone take one apart to see if the wire to power the backlight is loose and secured it properly? I have no problem taking things apart if I know I can fix it.

Is this user repairable or do I have to send in my only computer? Got no money either.
    8100>8900>9700>Nexus S>9900>iPhone 3G>Android N762>Galaxy Nexus>Q10 (soon)

Pa worked for RIM for 10+ years, so I've played with pretty much every BB since the Proton,
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Re: Backlight wire loose?

How it is inside:
    BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown - iFixit
    Not sure you actually can remair something though...
    Keep us informed!
    H.

There is a one year warranty.

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts
    PIN
    Pin:s & Needle:s

Just a guess here.......Could it be your case interfering with the light sensor and the flexing moves the case just enough?

This question comes from experience with an economical "leather" portfolio case purchased on Amazon for $4.00 shipped. It looked great, but the Playbook kept sliding down, and the light sensor would be covered causing my screen to dim.
    Last edited by DC506; 10-27-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

This last week I have had it out of the case so certainly. Not that.

Ya I know about the 1 year warranty. I will look into that, but to do so is to pay for the customer support as I've had it since last Christmas. Not sure if I need a receipt or not my dad got it from them internally as her worked there.

I can't really give it up as it is my only net connection. I don't even have a BB anymore.
    8100>8900>9700>Nexus S>9900>iPhone 3G>Android N762>Galaxy Nexus>Q10 (soon)

Pa worked for RIM for 10+ years, so I've played with pretty much every BB since the Proton,
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by DC506 View Post
    Just a guess here.......Could it be your case interfering with the light sensor and the flexing moves the case just enough?

This question comes from experience with an economical "leather" portfolio case purchased on Amazon for $4.00 shipped. It looked great, but the Playbook kept sliding down, and the light sensor would be covered causing my screen to dim.
    oooooooh okay...I wondered why my pb went all crazy one night. I was watching a movie at a house party via hdmi....didn't pay attention to where or how the playbook was sitting....there were strobe lights and pro gear and lighting , and I was using my bb smartphone as a remote.....when I tried to touch the screen and such it would jump around all crqzy. I didn't know there was a light sensor....was that what made my pb go alll skitzy?
    I just had my first RIMISM today!!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts
    PIN
    Pin:s & Needle:s

Quote Originally Posted by Tha.Housewife View Post
    oooooooh okay...I wondered why my pb went all crazy one night. I was watching a movie at a house party via hdmi....didn't pay attention to where or how the playbook was sitting....there were strobe lights and pro gear and lighting , and I was using my bb smartphone as a remote.....when I tried to touch the screen and such it would jump around all crqzy. I didn't know there was a light sensor....was that what made my pb go alll skitzy?
    Not sure if your experience was light sensor related or not. It sounds more like electrical interference from all the other electrical gear around your Playbook
  8. RWD
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-elph View Post
    I thought I had read something about this, but after 30 mins searching I can't find it again.
    My history of late with tech is no good. Recently moved and my MBP died as did my external HDD. PB was the onlything I had to connect to the net for the last two months. Was planning on buying a mac mini in a couple weeks.

However this last week the PB is experiencing an annoying change.
    There seemingly is a loose wire for the backlight as it turns off all the time, after 2-3 secs and I have to squeeze the back to turn it on again. Thus every couple seconds I am squeezig and flexing the back panel to keep the screen bright. Annoying, but more so that it is the only web connection I have.

Anyone take one apart to see if the wire to power the backlight is loose and secured it properly? I have no problem taking things apart if I know I can fix it.

Is this user repairable or do I have to send in my only computer? Got no money either.
    Have the same problem now - screen backlight has failed. Oddly enough, last night it worked fine when plugged in, but not when on battery. Today it does not work on either. I have to flex the case at the top corners to get it to work. 8 month old 64GB. My last one failed at 10 months and Blackberry refused to honour the warranty as I live outside the US, so no chance I will try that again. If I disassemble and find a fix I will post, otherwise I will probably get something else. Maybe an iPad or a Galaxy Note or something.
    CrackBerry User

Same issue here. No fix so far

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2241312C, 502FD799, 50201199, 29A67E61

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-elph View Post
    This last week I have had it out of the case so certainly. Not that.

Ya I know about the 1 year warranty. I will look into that, but to do so is to pay for the customer support as I've had it since last Christmas. Not sure if I need a receipt or not my dad got it from them internally as her worked there.

I can't really give it up as it is my only net connection. I don't even have a BB anymore.
    I had the same problem (except my screen would stay on until I either put it in standby or it timed out), was outside the one year warranty, am not the original purchaser, called BB, they extended the warranty til the end of the month, sent me an RMA box, told me if they determined the problem was caused by me they would charge me to repair or replace, sent it in, a week later I had a brand new PB because it was a hardware fault, not something caused by the me. I was charged nothing at all. You could get a shiny new PB too, if you called them.
    - Hashashin Jay posting from Soundwave, my 64gb Playbook (thanks Crackberry Forum members!)
    "You may have forgot me, but I didn't forget you" - Sinister 6000 (aka Kool Keith)
    F2 likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I had the same problem (except my screen would stay on until I either put it in standby or it timed out), was outside the one year warranty, am not the original purchaser, called BB, they extended the warranty til the end of the month, sent me an RMA box, told me if they determined the problem was caused by me they would charge me to repair or replace, sent it in, a week later I had a brand new PB because it was a hardware fault, not something caused by the me. I was charged nothing at all. You could get a shiny new PB too, if you called them
    Hey y'all! Long time reader, first time poster... :P

I have the same backlight issue and spent 3 hrs on the phone with tech support last night. I bought my PB in 2011 so I knew that the 1 year thing was up. But I still went through 3 hrs of software troubleshooting (despite being sure it wasn't software) only to be told by the hardware tech that there was nothing they could do.

I would very much like to know how you got them to extend the warranty? How far outside it were you?

Let me tell you, it's comforting to know other people have the same issue. I loved my PB and talked it up to anyone who would listen, but I'm not so sure now. I can't afford a new tablet (only reason I got this one was the mega sale they had 2 years ago in Canada- half price! and I was in a province with a lower sales tax than mine haha) so I'd really like some econimically reasonable advice.
    Last edited by polyesterangel; 10-22-2013 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Include quote I`m referring to.

Sorry that your first posting is about a real problem. I'm not sure that there is a solution other than possibly diving inside and seeing if you can spot something that is loose or detached. Good luck.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hey, so, just an update... after spending another 3 hours on the phone with software, hardware told me in about 30 seconds that I was screwed.

Makes me sad.

I'm looking into a new tablet and it sure as heck won't be a Playbook, due to the awful treatment I got with the hardware tech. There's a way to tell people they're screwed... and "Sorry, nothing to do, good night" isn't it.

I really liked my tablet and used it daily.