I posted on here before saying that I couldn't backup my playbook using Desktop Manager. Well today I downloaded Blackberry link and attempted to backup my Playbook using Link and it worked! So that problem has been officially fixed however , on Desktop Manager it asks you what you want backed up (Media, Apps, Setting) but on BlackBerry link it never gave me the option of backing up certain things and leaving other things out. Does anyone know what exactly it backs up? of course media, but I really want to know about Applications and Application data, Also side loaded apps.

The backup is in progress right now and it is flowing through. But I don't want to attempt to restore my playbook to factory default and then restore the backup only to find out that I need to redownload all my apps, and side load everything back on.

you can download BlackBerry link at BlackBerry if you don't already have it. It only works with QNX Based BlackBerries though!
    01-31-13 02:08 PM
    There are backup options! I was digging around on Link I found them.

When on your PlayBook's screen, hit settings and then you'll see the backup options.

Not the best instructions, but I did them off memory of last night.
    01-31-13 02:18 PM
    There's already a discussion on PlayBook backups here http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-763641/
    01-31-13 02:23 PM
    Like a fair number of people here who can't back up their PBs without getting an error message, I jump at anyone's NEW idea on how how to solve this. Happy to see that the new"Link" worked for one of us unfortunates. Last evening I downloaded the Mac (running 10.8.2) version of Link to give it a try. The first thing that I noticed was the computer slowed down! With Link launched and my PB attached I gave backup a go. IT WORKED!!!! Or, I thought so... No error message appeared at the onset and for a little over one hour and a half the progress bar slowly moved left to right. Then I got an error message stopping the back up with only a third of the backup completed. Nuts.

All the apps and the OS on my 64Gb PB are up to date. Have never side loaded. Actually, I have not got a lot of apps. I do have lots music, some videos and documents adding up to ~36Gb.

I am wondering, since I have yet to see someone mention this before, if I am trying to backup too much data. Maybe the desktop software cannot handle backing up the 36Gb?????

I have reverted back to the Desktop Manager in hopes that the back up error issue might still be resolved in the future though my hopes are not very high.

And yes djenkins6, there are many many threads here discussing the backup problems BUT none have ever mentioned trying Link to solve this before. Chill!
    02-01-13 07:59 AM
    Many of us, me included, don't use Desktop Software to backup media on our PB's. We manually backup our Playbooks' media, for several reasons. First, you're much less likely to have the problem you just ran into- i.e.,an hour and a half into the backup you get an error message. Second, manually backing up media tends to go much faster. Third, and maybe most importantly, if you (seemingly) successfully back up your media through desktop software, and then later discover that for one reason or another you can't restore from that backup, good luck then trying to recover that media. This is not a problem when manually backing up.
    02-01-13 08:21 AM
    Thanks for that pacoman03. My data is backed up, docs and images in a folder then music and videos in iTunes. For some reason my Mac version of Desktop manager (2.4 build 17 and many previous versions) defaults to full backup with the option to select data types being always grayed out.
    02-01-13 09:31 AM
    Well I got an error backing up twice last night using blackberry manager and I solved it by deleting some apps I just recently downloaded which were free apps for checking dead pixels which I had none but I just checking and once those apps were deleted it back upped np's.

Yep thats with wifi on too so it is app related 90% of the time when such error occurs
    02-01-13 10:33 AM
    Many of us, me included, don't use Desktop Software to backup media on our PB's. We manually backup our Playbooks' media, for several reasons. First, you're much less likely to have the problem you just ran into- i.e.,an hour and a half into the backup you get an error message. Second, manually backing up media tends to go much faster. Third, and maybe most importantly, if you (seemingly) successfully back up your media through desktop software, and then later discover that for one reason or another you can't restore from that backup, good luck then trying to recover that media. This is not a problem when manually backing up.
    I do a bbm backup and manual too of media as my music is on pc already so no need to do it manually and videos and so forth are on pc or I sync new ones I downloaded on PB from internet so my backups are around 2gb or less.
    02-01-13 10:36 AM
    Application Data backup will backup all data associated with installed Apps. This includes game save data. However, it does NOT backup or restore Side loaded Apps.
    I had problems for several months with backing up Application Data. After working on the problem fir several days, It finally worked after I went to the Microsoft Updates Site and installed all Critical. And Optional Files onto my PC.
    02-01-13 10:45 AM
    The issue is the backup app running on the device itself. And exception is encountered which just gets shut down without any notice to the user on the Playbook similar to where the browser blows and silently disappears. The desktop manager just reports the procedure fails without details of what the cause had been up until the failure occurred. The poor implementation of the rushed PBOS to provide some type of event notification facility or backup transaction details like what PalmOS hotsync had seems to be beyond RIM's capabilities and they just prefer to leave the users in the dark. I have reported five problems already, none has been ever resolved. Sure RMA's are easy, here take another one and get on with it, getting things to work right is what is really needed.

So, doing a complete windows update does not fix it. Turning off all wireless does not fix it. Guessing what App World app to install and uninstall iteratively does not fix it. Reinstallation of the device drivers and desktop software does not fix it. How about getting us some debugging facilities on the Playbook so that the users don't have to keep scratching their heads guessing what to do next.
    02-01-13 03:42 PM