View Poll Results: Background Apps for the Playbook?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 72.73%
  • No

6 27.27%
    Will BB10 for the Playbook bring the ability to have background apps, such as Twitter and Facebook?

Would you like this feature in the first place?

EDIT: What I mean is when you turn off and on your device, apps like Twitter and Facebook will automatically start running in the back, instead of clicking them and waiting for them to load.

Apps running in the background (more like background process, not in the home display), their icon will be displayed to the left side of the top bar where the timer and date is located. When tapped, it will launch the app as the same way when clicked from he dock.

For instance, if the Facebook app automatically started running in the background after you turned on your device, your friends can see you that you're already online instead of opening it from the dock. Hence, it removes the need to have the Facebook or Twitter app always open in your home page.

In addition, if one ff your friends started a chat with you, there will be that "splat" symbol on the top right corner of the icon letting you know someone started a chat with you.
    Last edited by rupam95; 08-16-12 at 01:38 PM.
    08-16-12 11:07 AM
    I dont think background apps is the phrase you're looking for. The playbook already allows you to background almost any app.
    08-16-12 11:32 AM
    I guess background process would be more appropriate?
    Yes.. Would come handy I would guess.. I wouldn't want to keep my Skype app on all the time now would I? (please don't flame me for giving Skype as example)
    08-16-12 11:47 AM
    Of course. It should work like any current bb or other system.
    08-16-12 11:57 AM
    I'm still not sure if that's what he means.
    Background apps or processes are usually terms used in association with multitasking. When you multitask on a device like the Playbook, you bring a new app to the foreground while your current app gets moved to the background.

My interpretation of his question is more in the sense of cross-system integration. Think along the lines of posting directly to Facebook or Twitter from a photo app without having to open the Facebook or twitter app.

OP, can you clarify what you mean? This poll in its present form makes no sense since the current Playbook 100% supports background apps.
    08-16-12 11:59 AM
    Does he means Widgets?

Working full time in the background?

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    rupam95 likes this.
    08-16-12 12:07 PM
    Will BB10 for the Playbook bring the ability to have background apps, such as Twitter and Facebook?

Would you like this feature in the first place?
    I'm not sure on this but i'd seen a blog post on bb dev which says it is possible to develop push enabled apps with latest beta.

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/0...orks-push-app/

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    08-16-12 12:20 PM
    I'm still not sure if that's what he means.
    Background apps or processes are usually terms used in association with multitasking. When you multitask on a device like the Playbook, you bring a new app to the foreground while your current app gets moved to the background.

My interpretation of his question is more in the sense of cross-system integration. Think along the lines of posting directly to Facebook or Twitter from a photo app without having to open the Facebook or twitter app.

OP, can you clarify what you mean? This poll in its present form makes no sense since the current Playbook 100% supports background apps.
    he means if third party apps can push notifications. e.g. a third party app email on pb currently can't push notifications and he wants to know if this would change with bb10.

08-16-12 12:24 PM
    Thanks for the clarification. Did he contact you and explain what he meant? Funny he would abandon his own thread so shortly after making it.
    08-16-12 12:51 PM
    Maybe he had an epiphany. Or maybe just fell asleep - Different time schedules ^^

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-16-12 01:11 PM
    *Thread Updated*
    08-16-12 01:54 PM
    Absolutely BB10 will bring them and a whole lot more.
    08-16-12 02:28 PM
    Something like BeWeather on bb phones that can constantly update the weather and maybe provide an icon along the notification bar at the top right with the current weather but does not have a window open.
    08-16-12 02:39 PM
    I agree. Example: the messages app id not constantly running ("background sync"). The first time you open it it has to load...then sync...

Take a BB handset, open messages and it is all ready to go because the app is always running.
    08-16-12 04:48 PM
    Of course. It should work like any current bb or other system.
    You sir, said it all.

OP: And we all knew this would be so, after all, why on Earth would RIM go backwards on features instead of moving forward?
    08-16-12 06:51 PM
    Is this like we used to call TSR?
    FF22 likes this.
    08-16-12 07:55 PM
    It should do everything os 7 does plus some. OS 7 is great I want this experience on BlackBerry10 but on steroids
    08-16-12 08:50 PM
    Is this like we used to call TSR?
    Ah, yes, where you execute the prisoner and keep the body around - Terminate and Stay Resident (Sidekick, Smartkey, .......)
    08-16-12 09:43 PM
    Thanks for the clarification. Did he contact you and explain what he meant? Funny he would abandon his own thread so shortly after making it.
    wow...very nice way to show gratitude.

08-16-12 11:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD