Guys, I bought a new discounted playbook. I like it but have a very difficult time getting around that it won't auto capitalize or autocorrect. It is very difficult to be efficient at being punctually correct...

Am I missing something or some setting? My 9900 does it so easily... If it's true that it doesn't do that out of the box...WOW, is all I can say.
    09-25-11 04:33 PM
    That function is missing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-11 04:48 PM
    OS 2.0 is where it's at.
    No native PIM on the PB.
    09-25-11 04:50 PM
    Hey, we've been putting up with his for 5 months! After 5 months we no longer say Wow, its more like WTF...

:-)

09-25-11 04:59 PM
    Ok, that's what I'm thinking OS2 may have it. Is there a detailed list of new features for OS2?

I'm very surprised how RIM would release this OS and at least not match the functionality of the smartphones...

They still have me with their smartphones...couldn't live without mine or even convert to iPhone, but the tablet so far is a complete miss. They need to meet the targets that they say officially, via it verbally or written response... They promised things and didn't deliver and we all still have no idea when OS2 will release, even if they are saying sometime in Oct. They should just stop and tell people it will come out between Oct. of this year or maybe April of next year.

They need to read PMBOK (project management body of knowledge) and have professional project managers come in there. All the current existing ones should be fired. Or at least the CEOs for not realizing the wool that's being pulled over their eyes.

Steve Jobs is on to something, don't mention a date, market the future features and be repetitively accurate in your releases (yearly for example).
    nova_8 likes this.
    09-25-11 05:00 PM
    So you knew all of that of which you mentioned but didn't know it didn't have auto correct and auto cap?

09-25-11 05:05 PM
    Answer to every missing feature = Os2 will have it... lol

We have NO official or unofficial list of features.

09-25-11 05:08 PM
    Actually I did know and forgot... I bought the playbook at release and shortly after returned it. I have iPad 2 now and like the functionality of it, converted to iPhone 4 but HATED that. The 9000 was my first smartphone and instantly fell it love with it. I then moved to a Torch and didn't like the slide out keyboard, so I then tried iPhone 4 which also hated... I went back to what I really love, the Bold FULL SIZE keyboard and the 9900 which I've had for weeks now, I will never be sick of!

I bought the playbook a second time because of the discount and saw in wiki that many software releases have been made since original release date. So now bringing it home, it is the same thing I returned months ago. Autocorrect, capitalization is a deal breaker...If it were a physical keyboard, I would be ok with that, but a touchscreen keyboard, it's way too much work to not write emails that look like I'm a child.

At this time I'm wondering if I should keep it for OS2 release, or just realize the risk that RIM won't deliver what I as a consumer feel I am getting value for. I am willing to have the iPad2 for my wife and get my own toy that I truly love for myself (because I'm so hung up on the bold which feels like forever!), but right now, I'm not loving this thing and have the box in mint condition for a return refund.

Anyways, as I said, I love my Bold 9900, but I can't stand this Playbook at this present time and don't really trust the word of RIM anymore to deliver what we want out of this damn tablet.

They are not ready to change their smart phones to QNX right now...It would be an epic disaster if they did. OS2, how I envision it, could change things though...
    Last edited by shawngt2; 09-25-11 at 05:21 PM.
    09-25-11 05:13 PM
    Guys, I bought a new discounted playbook. I like it but have a very difficult time getting around that it won't auto capitalize or autocorrect. It is very difficult to be efficient at being punctually correct...

Am I missing something or some setting? My 9900 does it so easily... If it's true that it doesn't do that out of the box...WOW, is all I can say.
    If it does not have the features you need, please return it right away. Otherwise, you will wait beyond your return window, RIM will be late with OS 2, and you will be back to start a thread about suing them.
    If it doesn't meet your needs now, return it and buy it again if/when it has what you need.

They are rudimentary features. These features (as well as stereo Bluetooth in my opinion) should have been there at launch - but they are not. I kept mine, and am enjoying it regardless. I hope these features are implemented soon.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-25-11 05:20 PM
    jhimmel, I'm thinking along the same lines of you. But where is the list of features to expect in OS2? They can at least market what is to come...Not just Android Player and native apps... What about the other details.

Apple explained their direction clearly well before unannounced release date, they keep people excited about the feature they WILL get... We're just left in the dark to wonder if they will actually deliver.

They said Android compatibility long ago, they said 3G was supposed to be in the summer (stated on TV)... Their credibility is horrible...The doubt is high...

Anyways, as you can see, I barely write on forums. I don't care to bash BB or any competitors...But...Anyhow, I'll stop with my rant now.
    09-25-11 05:26 PM
    join the club, everyone has been waitin for this to come
    wellard likes this.
    09-25-11 05:33 PM
    Ok, that's what I'm thinking OS2 may have it. Is there a detailed list of new features for OS2?

I'm very surprised how RIM would release this OS and at least not match the functionality of the smartphones...

They still have me with their smartphones...couldn't live without mine or even convert to iPhone, but the tablet so far is a complete miss. They need to meet the targets that they say officially, via it verbally or written response... They promised things and didn't deliver and we all still have no idea when OS2 will release, even if they are saying sometime in Oct. They should just stop and tell people it will come out between Oct. of this year or maybe April of next year.

They need to read PMBOK (project management body of knowledge) and have professional project managers come in there. All the current existing ones should be fired. Or at least the CEOs for not realizing the wool that's being pulled over their eyes.

Steve Jobs is on to something, don't mention a date, market the future features and be repetitively accurate in your releases (yearly for example).
    You will quickly be proclaimed a troll since you have asked the autotext question when you should have know it was missing. Or you will have just re-enforced some of our arguments that mentioning what is missing or flawed can help prevent folks from stumbling into a mis-purchase. Yes, some of us also want to know how a professional tablet could be missing when our phones have had those features for years.

But so I don't get pronounced a troll - it does have some genuinely wonderful aspects - video, dual terrific sounding speakers.

And no, you cannot pinch/zoom email to see it bigger. And you cannot use bluetooth headphones that work with your phone as the pb (playbook) does not support any form of bt audio, neither simple monaural nor a2dp.

OS2 remains a promise of vague improvements but there is nothing definitive and no time frame other than it will NOT be before devcon (sometime in oct).
    09-25-11 05:35 PM
    jhimmel, I'm thinking along the same lines of you. But where is the list of features to expect in OS2? They can at least market what is to come...Not just Android Player and native apps... What about the other details.

Apple explained their direction clearly well before unannounced release date, they keep people excited about the feature they WILL get... We're just left in the dark to wonder if they will actually deliver.

They said Android compatibility long ago, they said 3G was supposed to be in the summer (stated on TV)... Their credibility is horrible...The doubt is high...

Anyways, as you can see, I barely write on forums. I don't care to bash BB or any competitors...But...Anyhow, I'll stop with my rant now.
    Because if they give you their planned schedule, or planned features, and miss any dates or features, they will be crucified here. People who claim to be lawyers (and I have no reason to doubt them), will tell you in these forums that using terms like "planned" and "scheduled" offer you no legal protection against being called a liar. Look around, this is what these forums have turned into. Half the people are demanding roadmaps and schedules, and the other half is ready to sue them for missing those targets. To make matters worse, RIM is floundering, missing just about EVERY target - adding fuel to the fire. So, they are damned if they say anything, they are damned if they don't, and their performance and demonstration of any kind of ability to produce on time has blown their credibility (as you correctly pointed out).

In one sentence you say you want statements, in the next you say they are not credible.
    Bottom line, if you don't like what came out of the box -today-, return it and wait. It will save yourself, and these forums, a lot of grief.

Some honest and friendly advice from someone who has seen far too much drama around here.
    Last edited by jhimmel; 09-25-11 at 05:43 PM.
    09-25-11 05:39 PM
    Yeah, I would prefer not to be labelled as a troll. It's not what I'm looking for.

But concerning schedules and whatnot... All they would need to do is be hush and surprise people with results. Then the BB fans will simply know that RIM won't let them down, they deliver the features which are most needed.

I was super impressed that Apple surprised everyone with iPad 2. Just like that!

I think a major restructuring is needed in RIM to meet the competition. I didn't know that autocapitalization was such a complex programming that would take almost a year to develop (or so we hope).
    09-25-11 05:44 PM
    Yeah, I would prefer not to be labelled as a troll. It's not what I'm looking for.

But concerning schedules and whatnot... All they would need to do is be hush and surprise people with results. Then the BB fans will simply know that RIM won't let them down, they deliver the features which are most needed.

I was super impressed that Apple surprised everyone with iPad 2. Just like that!

I think a major restructuring is needed in RIM to meet the competition. I didn't know that autocapitalization was such a complex programming that would take almost a year to develop (or so we hope).
    Well, -I'm- not labeling you a troll, and I agree with pretty much everything you say right here. I expected that those simple features would be there. I was disappointed that they were not, and I don't know why it has taken so long to implement. But, for me, it wasn't enough to make me not enjoy the rest of the really nice things about the playbook. You will have to decide that for yourself - but within your return window please...
    Just DON'T keep it based on what you hope will come soon.
    Narayan. likes this.
    09-25-11 05:49 PM
    I didn't know that autocapitalization was such a complex programming that would take almost a year to develop (or so we hope).
    RETURN the pb. I have admitted this before - it may be my typing skills. But each time I use the browser on crackberry and try to reply to a thread I get exasperated. I will create a typo. I will then take 3 or 4 attempts at locating the cursor to fix the typo. A new typo occurs recreating the cursor placement problems (for me).

Here's a serious example in a crackberry thread. I fixed one or two and then gave up but wanted to post the question so did not quit and come up to the computer:

http://forums.crackberry.com/crackbe...index1107.html

And the text looks like:

"I hope you do nlt mind my asking about the ipad. And i realize tje questiom kind of overlaps my issue with os6. If you were reading tbis forum or thread and you pinch/zoom on this message does the ipad word wrap or reformat paragraphs? The playbook does not wrap or reformat. it will zoom but them you habe to scroll back and forth."

Emails, at least, do the auto-punctuation so are not as bad.

But if you want auto-correct, RETURN the device and see what OS2 offers when and if it actually offers.
    09-25-11 06:26 PM
    I�d agree that auto-correct doesn�t sound like it should be a �biggie� to incorporate on the PB. Afterall, the code to do this already exists on the phones and I wouldn�t have thought it beyond the wit of man (or RIM) to pass that code to the PB software team to fold into the OS. Maybe the PB team don�t have access to the Native SDK Beta and can�t recompile the code! LOL

Don�t hold your breath for a detailed feature list announcement from RIM over what is going to be in OS2. I�ve learned in my brief time on these forums that RIM isn�t too hot on communication. The big thing in the last OS update was to allow apps to access the internet when no WiFi was available and without the need for a tethering plan. That major feature was discovered on these very forums, and still hasn�t been �announced� by RIM� so stay tuned to Crackberry when OS2 hits, coz you�ll never hear anything from RIM.

I suspect that many PB early-adopters were like me. We simply assumed that stuff that was already on our phones would also be on the Playbook. Yes, we accepted the lack of native email and the security arguments behind that decision, but auto-cap, auto-correct and the myriad of small features that we had on the phones? Why, we assumed that they�d be there on our Playbooks too.

I guess the old line about �ASSUME� making an �ASS� out of �U� and �ME� has never been more true.

Some of the features that we do have are clearly a work in progress � my PB emails have spelling errors underlined, so PB �knows� the word is wrong� but I have yet to figure a way to call up the list of spelling suggestions for the word (subtly different from auto-correct � as I want to make the call on the word). I strongly suspect there isn�t any such spellchecker currently � it�s half-finished, a bit like the ability to select a range of cells in the spreadsheet, but not have the ability to copy it anywhere. So I exist in a limbo where I read emails on the Playbook, and reply to them on the phone rather than have my credibility suffer because my emails would otherwise look like they�ve been typed by a dyslexic chimp!
    FF22 and kirson like this.
    09-26-11 04:56 AM
    I suspect that many PB early-adopters were like me. We simply assumed that stuff that was already on our phones would also be on the Playbook. Yes, we accepted the lack of native email and the security arguments behind that decision, but auto-cap, auto-correct and the myriad of small features that we had on the phones? Why, we assumed that they�d be there on our Playbooks too.
    Totally and 100% correct and true!

And no one should tell me we should have researched the product before buying, because NOWHERE was is disclosed that the PlayBook would lack such basic functionality as we were already used to on our BB handsets.

It still amazes me to see how fanboys are blaming everyone but RIM for the failures of the PlayBook, when the truth is RIM released a totally unfinished product. Unfortunately, the best hardware without equally exceptional software to go with it, just doesn't go very far.

Also, brand loyalty is one thing, but sad to say many in these forums are in total denial when it comes to the PlayBook.

And just fyi, I AM a loyal BlackBerry user, and have never owned an ipad.

kirson likes this.
    09-26-11 09:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD