I just purchased a Playbook 64 gb - it self updated etc - and all great

PQ superb

BUT on all videos, music videos etc on Youtube I'm getting random static, I thought it was that I was driving the speakers too loud,its that sort of mini "crack" noise, but even at lower volumes it was doing it

so I then tried headphones - getting the same

tried same content (we're talking more than one video here) and all had distortion/crackles on the Playbook but none on the Iphone

I'm guessing a hardware fault, so I'm off to get an exchage,but just checking its not a known OS or known Playbook Youtube app fault?

thanks
    08-25-12 10:34 AM
    You can try restarting your device.. Might go away..
    08-25-12 10:39 AM
    thanks for suggestion - I'd already tried that though - I tried a full power down and restart and it still did it

just noticed another thread from a month ago with similar issues - mmmm
    08-25-12 10:41 AM
    Try a wipe and reload the OS maybe?
    08-25-12 11:47 AM
    replacement Playbook in the house now

will test later - fingers crossed - otherwise refund tomorrow

can't believe others would not notice static on Youtube vids - so must have been hardware - I hope
    08-25-12 01:21 PM
    Have not noticed any static, just the occ. buffering ...
    08-25-12 01:36 PM
    I sometimes get the static noice with the music over the onboard speakers and via the gateway on the stereo.
    A full restart solves it.... Sofar... It happens rarely.

I'm on the PB 64GB.
    08-25-12 04:55 PM
    thanks

unfortunately new one does it too - just as bad

all Youtube videos seem to do it - its annoying as the SQ when not crackling is SUPERB - but the crackling is appauling

I have tried different videos, setting to 480p instead of HD and still problem remains, its always when it gets to a louder part - so perhaps clipping ?

I even tried downloading a couple of these videos as a test, then playing back via the standard video player - same problem

heres an example - just one video I happened to watch tonight as I'm a fan of the game

sounds perfect till 40 seconds in, then crackle crackle crackle

08-25-12 05:21 PM
    in case I was going mad - I got my wife to listen to 2 videos - she normally can't hear audio quality differences etc (the joys of living with a hifi nut (me) lol)

she could quite clearly hear distortion in the above video, and on other videos, both on the headphones (she thought they were my headphones that were faulty) and on the internal speakers - and not even at loud volumes. It seems to be source volume dependant not Playbook volume set dependant

with both tracks we tested - she then listened on my Iphone - same - Youtube streamed in HD and not one crackle
    08-25-12 05:30 PM
    in case I was going mad - I got my wife to listen to 2 videos - she normally can't hear audio quality differences etc (the joys of living with a hifi nut (me) lol)

she could quite clearly hear distortion in the above video, and on other videos, both on the headphones (she thought they were my headphones that were faulty) and on the internal speakers - and not even at loud volumes. It seems to be source volume dependant not Playbook volume set dependant

with both tracks we tested - she then listened on my Iphone - same - Youtube streamed in HD and not one crackle
    Heard a couple if tics around 45 seconds, nothing else.
    08-25-12 05:50 PM
    thanks

it was an easy example, but in say dance music those "tics" are literally every 1-2 seconds - very very annoying

if you try any of the problematic content on other devices there are no issues, it seems that the audio is clipping some internal sound processing in the playbook
    08-25-12 05:56 PM
    With the video you linked to, I get some crackle too, not at 40 seconds in, but at 50 seconds in. But to be fair, just watching the same YouTube vids at the same resolution on your PB and your Iphone does not mean that you actually viewing the same videos. Most, if not all, relatively recent YouTube vids can be streamed in either MP4 or Flash formats. Your Iphone is not streaming the flash vids, while your PB may be.
    08-25-12 05:58 PM
    I downloaded it to MP4 and copied to local on the Playbook

still static

same file - exact - on Iphone - nothing
    08-25-12 06:00 PM
    I give up - no idea what it is with Youtube that the Playbook does not like, I've tried re-encoding the files with Handbrake to (1) different bitrate (2) different sample rate (3) different video fps (just in case) - to no avail

try listening to the HD Bjorn Painting Pyramids on youtube (the one with the man stood on some stairs with some birds)- an example of dance music - on the playbook and to me its unlistenable - in all but the quiet slow bit its full of cracks and distortion

playback on the Iphone, IPAD, or PC - not one single crack,distortion or clipping
    Last edited by Buckshar; 08-25-12 at 07:07 PM.
    08-25-12 06:44 PM
    OK. I downloaded the 720P MP4 file, then loaded the file into Cakewalk Sonar Producers Edition (audio recording and processing software) on my PC to have a look at the audio portion. Here's what I found- audio level was definately set too high. Why this would cause problems on your PB and not your Iphone, I don't know.
    08-25-12 06:51 PM
    thanks pacoman03 - can you try the other one above please as its far far worse ... the dance track this is

note I've not been scouring youtube for "bad examples" - I only tried 4 videos, one a Minecraft music video (don't laugh my son likes it), one a game trailer, and one a music video and all exhibit distortion

for interest pacoman03 - with that plane trailer vid that you tried on PC - can you hear any distortion when playing back on the PC? I can't even at loud volumes

it sounds to me - so obvious - even using the speakers that I'm amazed I'm the only one to bring it up - I'm not even that young (under 40) - so I don't have "bat ears" for high frequencies

I'd love to roll back the OS to see if its something thats been introduced, but as I only bought today - I'm just going to have to take it back

thanks again
    Last edited by Buckshar; 08-25-12 at 06:59 PM.
    08-25-12 06:53 PM
    My blackberry playbook just developed this problem not quite a month after I bought it. I don't have any download in it before this problem. The sound of the speaker is cracked, just like a broken speaker. Very distorted. At first I thought maybe my speaker is bad, but when I tried to play some music from YouTube, I found that the video is not streaming smoothly. Rather it is very sticky. Please I need help.
    12-18-13 11:43 PM
    Please I have similar problem with the same brand of blackberry playbook like yours. Incase you find a solution,please kindly share it with me. I am already pissed up. I have tried so many ways, but to no avail. Thanks.
    12-18-13 11:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD