To all Crackberryans help !

Since I reinstalled OS ver 1.0.7.3312 on my Playbook, I an getting this message in all my mail attachments: " Attachment too large " making impossible to download them. When the help buttom next to this message is clicked you get this other message: " The attachment exceeds the download size set by your administrator "

The afore mentioned message appears too when I try to compose a new mail with attachments. This happens ALWAYS, no matter which email account I am using. Otherwise in my bridged BB Bold 9700, attachments are not an issue nor are they in the mail accounts when entered directly trough Playbook's web browser... seems the problem is in the bridged mail client on the Playbook.

Question: How can this fixed?... Already deleted bridge in both equipments and reinstalled it without any result, already did a complete as of factory system install...
    10-23-11 06:46 PM
    i saw the same problem, but didn't test much.
    10-24-11 05:21 AM
    No ideas yet?
    10-24-11 02:03 PM
    What size attachments are you talking about?

I don't think it has anything to do with the PB. Since the email is coming from your BB the size of the attachment is determined by that. Until BIS 4.1 the limit was 2.9MB. Not all service providers have rolled out 4.1 yet. I'm with T-Mobile and we don't have it, at least I can't send or receive anything larger than 2.9.

New Features of BlackBerry Internet Service 4.1

ADDED: After reading my link it looks like this is for OS7 phone only. I'm going to assume phones with OS6 will still be limited to 2.9MB.
    Last edited by EdS817; 10-24-11 at 02:33 PM.
    10-24-11 02:11 PM
    I could not attach even a txt file that weghts 2.2 kb. !!! ATTACHMENT TOO LARGE... this is useless, PB bridged mail client is deceiving me...
    10-24-11 06:07 PM
    BTW, Sending and receiving mail with attachments has no problem when using mail accounts within web browser and from bb phone.
    10-24-11 06:10 PM
    are you on BES? seems to be a BES issue with bridge. Can open the attachement on the phone but not through PB and bridge.
    10-24-11 06:23 PM
    After 2 calls to BB, and following up with my BES provider, I finally got the answer as to correcting this problem. I just bought my PB for the single purpose of being able to open my attachments and read them!!
    BB told me that the provider must be on ver. 4.1. They were on ver. 4.1.4. Called BB back. That ver. dosen't work, need ver. 4.1.5 or go to 5.0.3.
    Called provider back, they probably won't install this "patch" and are prepping to go to 5.0.3 with no committed date. They support thousands of users so now it's sit and wait.
    Don't know if this patch does the trick and would like to hear from anyone who can confirm that their BES provider has this patch installed and it works on their PB. After many years with BB's, this is very disppointing. Remember Palm?
    10-24-11 07:31 PM
    How do I know if I have a BES or BIS do this former have the ssme OS version problem ? It seems this is a very strange and scarse issue.... there are no crowds reporting... only two of us ?
    10-24-11 08:58 PM
    Don't know about BEs vs. BIS. I'm just waiting for my provider to upgrade to 5.0.3 and hope I will then be able to open attachments. Very strange that I can open attachments on my BB9650 but not the PB through the bridge.
    10-25-11 07:30 PM
    BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) is what most larger companies and government agencies use. It allows them to control the devices used withing their network.

BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) would be us common folk. It would be your BB data plan through your service provider. The service provider and/or RIM control the features and security.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-27-11 07:21 AM
    I was able to change the MaxAttachmentDownload setting on my Mdaemon BES so that I can now download 20MB attachments with ease, both to my BB and to my Playbook via Bridge.
    10-28-11 02:06 PM
    No solution yet, my PB mail client (bridged) is useless ...
    10-28-11 02:55 PM
    What size attachments are you talking about?

I don't think it has anything to do with the PB. Since the email is coming from your BB the size of the attachment is determined by that. Until BIS 4.1 the limit was 2.9MB. Not all service providers have rolled out 4.1 yet. I'm with T-Mobile and we don't have it, at least I can't send or receive anything larger than 2.9.

New Features of BlackBerry Internet Service 4.1

ADDED: After reading my link it looks like this is for OS7 phone only. I'm going to assume phones with OS6 will still be limited to 2.9MB.
    This doesn't seem to have anything to do with BBs. I had a Powerpoint file I tried to open for 30 minutes on Monday. I kept getting the Attachment too large message. I had no trouble though opening it on my Torch.

I often encounter PDF attachments that just won't open on my PB, but can open them on my BB. Frustrating, especially when my PB appears to be trying to open the PDF, but it never happens and I don't get an error message. As good as bridge is, attachment handling is definitely an area that needs improvment.
    10-28-11 03:17 PM
    I was able to change the MaxAttachmentDownload setting on my Mdaemon BES so that I can now download 20MB attachments with ease, both to my BB and to my Playbook via Bridge.

It would be really kind if you share your findings. How did you change it?
    I am having the same issue. I can oopen a 5mbb pptx attachment on my BB but not on PB. so for me it is a bridge issue (transfer of 5mb over BlueTooth connection from BB to PB).

Thanks in advance
    12-13-11 07:38 AM
    If you have a Business Email server with BES, the admin can change the SQL database table values to allow for large attachments.

I don't think BIS users have any choice.
    12-13-11 11:41 PM
    I am trying to deal with this issue. My Playbook says that the attachment is too large, but my phone (9930) is able to open it. My IT department says it must be a Playbook rather than a server issue. If so, what can I do at the Playbook end to rectify the situation?
    Last edited by hotspurs2; 01-20-12 at 12:28 PM. Reason: correction
    01-20-12 12:27 PM
    As far as I could tell, the BES SQL database has to be modified as I mentioned.

If you need more details, I can provide it.
    01-21-12 12:13 AM
    As far as I could tell, the BES SQL database has to be modified as I mentioned.

If you need more details, I can provide it.
    I don't understand why that would help when we are already able to open the attachments on our BBs.
    01-21-12 04:21 AM
    I don't understand why that would help when we are already able to open the attachments on our BBs.
    That remains the question. Any suggestions from JHanks or anyone else would be gratefully received. There has to be a solution to this!
    01-21-12 10:23 AM
    I don't understand either, I truly think it's a bug in BlackBerry Bridge because as is pointed out, the attachments open fine on the phone.

All I can say is that when I changed the MaxAttachDownloadSize on my BES, that my problem want away. I tested a 10mb PDF and it worked fine.

While I was at it, I also set Upload size and Max Attachment Total sizes limitation to the same 20mb value.

Here are my notes:

Modify Download Size in BES
    Using SQL Server Management Studio Express, open the BESMgmt database, ServerConfig table, and change the value of MaxAttachDownloadSize. The default is 3072KB.

Right click on dbo.ServerConfig and select Open Table. Scroll right until you see the MaxAttachDownloadSize column, type in a new value in the grid (overwriting 3072), then press Enter to commit the change.

MaxAttachDownloadSize specified value must be multiple of 1024

I use 20480
    01-22-12 03:37 AM
    I have just downloaded a 4.3 mb video with the hotmail app after my bridge email stated"attachment too large". Always good to have plan B. You just cannot beat hotmail.
    01-23-12 05:01 PM
    Hat's off to this guy it worked like a charm!!! Thank you sir I owe you a beer if you come to my kneck of the woods....

QUOTE"
    I don't understand either, I truly think it's a bug in BlackBerry Bridge because as is pointed out, the attachments open fine on the phone.

All I can say is that when I changed the MaxAttachDownloadSize on my BES, that my problem want away. I tested a 10mb PDF and it worked fine.

While I was at it, I also set Upload size and Max Attachment Total sizes limitation to the same 20mb value.

Here are my notes:

Modify Download Size in BES
    Using SQL Server Management Studio Express, open the BESMgmt database, ServerConfig table, and change the value of MaxAttachDownloadSize. The default is 3072KB.

Right click on dbo.ServerConfig and select Open Table. Scroll right until you see the MaxAttachDownloadSize column, type in a new value in the grid (overwriting 3072), then press Enter to commit the change.

MaxAttachDownloadSize specified value must be multiple of 1024

I use 20480
    END QUOTE"
    04-06-12 01:44 PM
    Glad that worked for you too.

BTW, Please fill out your profile so that I know where is your neck of the woods.
    04-07-12 03:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD