Okay, I can appreciate Appworld informing me of an upgrade to an app that I have acquired, either a freebie or a purchase. But I will soon be irritated if it persists in repeatedly showing me that RED ASTERISK when I have no intention of upgrading.

The current example is an app that I acquired while it was free: BattleBallzChaos. Yesterday it was BOX which kept telling me to upgrade but it failed and it kept coming back.

I gather an upgrade is available as I have now seen it since last night. But it would cost additional money to acquire it. My only choices are Upgrade or Delete. I want "Stop pestering me." Will this Red Asterisk keep showing for the next year or two unless I either delete or upgrade the app?

Obviously, rim gets money for each sale or upgrade if there's a price change. Rim's incentive is to drive me nuts. (and yes, I know it is not a long drive).

Is there a way around this or do I have to just keep on ignoring it?
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-09-11 10:29 AM
    Why not upgrade to latest versions? with bug fixes, improvements, enhancements, etc? I can understand the box issue, its an obvious error which the devs are working on.

Or is it that you don't want to pay for apps that you downloaded free and that have since become paid? If its the latter, would urge you to respect the effort these early devs are putting into making PB a success and support them if you are using their stuff...if not, do the right thing...delete their apps or to be blunt, don't be a whiner and complain when using someone elses hard worked stuff for free.
    09-09-11 11:01 AM
    I have the same beef. When I go into App World, I now have the annoying red asterick because I have 2 apps that have changed from free to paid (and I'm happy with the free version).

This brings up another interesting issue though. If I were to have to swich Playbooks and I do a backup from the old and restore to the new, do I get all the apps and data transferred?

But even bigger than that, if something happens that makes my Plabyook unusable and I have to do a wipe (without having done a backup), will App World allow me to download the version of apps that I already had installed on my Playbook, or will I now need to pay for the paid version of these apps that are pestering me right now? I have a funny feeling it's the latter.
    09-09-11 11:07 AM
    But even bigger than that, if something happens that makes my Plabyook unusable and I have to do a wipe (without having done a backup), will App World allow me to download the version of apps that I already had installed on my Playbook, or will I now need to pay for the paid version of these apps that are pestering me right now? I have a funny feeling it's the latter.
    without having done a backup, you cannot restore the version of apps that are now paid.

i had this exact issue with the Chuck Norris Facts app. i was able to restore it from a backup, though.
    09-09-11 11:36 AM
    louzer:

Yes, that is another issue with the current system. I should be able to "stand pat" with apps. There have been times I prefer the earlier, simpler version of an app for my phone or my computer and don't need the newest "improvements." The current system makes it hard to do if you need to backup/restore.
    09-09-11 12:00 PM
    Coincidentally I had asked about the "can't restore deleted app that's now paid" issue in the App World Development forum yesterday, in the thread Is it a bug? Can't reinstall older (free) version of app once changed to paid.
    09-09-11 12:27 PM
    Couldn't the developer use a new signature and create a paid version and free lite version? I think this is only fair since it seems many developers put the free app out to get interest and feedback to improve the app. So, the early adopters could be thrown a bone.
    09-09-11 02:16 PM
    in fairness to the developer...

If your friend gives you a lift from A to B a bunch of times, and does the same for other people as well, eventually he will have to "update" his old run-down beat-up car.
    Everyone advised him how to fix his car all along the way. Hey everyone told him how his old car should work... Nothing is free... eventually he's going to at least ask you for gas money in his new car.
    and his old car... yeah, about that, it's gone to the scrap yard.... No you can't have it back.

J
    09-09-11 03:10 PM
    same issue but i find it now whenever i turn on my playbook my first instinct is to kill the app update reminders then it doesnt botehr me anymore =P
    09-10-11 12:12 AM
    same issue but i find it now whenever i turn on my playbook my first instinct is to kill the app update reminders then it doesnt botehr me anymore =P
    I may have missed an option - where can you turn off "update reminders?"

On my computer I've turned off many such reminders - I prefer manual.
    09-10-11 08:43 AM
    I may have missed an option - where can you turn off "update reminders?"

On my computer I've turned off many such reminders - I prefer manual.
    Prob just means dismiss them from the top left corner...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-11 12:13 PM
    I got an update reminder for a free app that is now a pay app. I don't use it so I'm not going to pay for it. However when I went to update the app and when it told me that the price had changed I just cancelled out of the screen. Now the update reminder is not there. I still have the old version but no reminder.
    09-10-11 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD