The number one free app at AppWorld is Hangman! And the number one paid app is Chat on Facebook.

Talk about a disappointment. Every evening I look for something new and useful. And every evening I'm disappointed. And here's to Hugo Malha Ferreira and the Gilcontrol app which looks to be the most expensive app. I could find.

With these choices it's no wonder people are fleeing the Playbook.

OK, all that being said. I will still faithfully hold my Playbook and argue that it's still better than a iPad. I refuse to drink the Kool-aid.

But seriously, the app development sucks. Is there no market for ones work? Or is RIM just a PITA to work with?

dg
    Last edited by dagerlach; 07-09-11 at 05:37 AM.
    07-08-11 06:37 PM
    No one is "fleeing" the PB. Hangman is always one of the most popular free apps on any system. I personally don't see the fascination with it but to each his own.
    BrokenSaint likes this.
    07-08-11 06:45 PM
    People aren't fleeing it. They are doing their research and avoiding purchase in the first place.
    07-09-11 02:01 AM
    try to avoid checking the AppWorld everynight so you wouldn't be disappointed everynight... when I cannot purchase application because of this so error "Blackbery AppWorld is having trouble connecting to BlackBerry AppWorld server", I was so disappointed even after contacting BB Support... so to avoid more disappointment, I stop purchasing application...

anyway, the AppWorld development is suck as you said...
    07-09-11 03:30 AM
    People aren't fleeing it. They are doing their research and avoiding purchase in the first place.
    Funny because I did my DD, bought the PB and love it.

What is telling is the market position crapple enjoys. Whenever someone sees my PB, they ask if it is an ipad. Tablet=ipad to most semi aware people. Most people don't do any DD as the complaints about native email by some owners attest.
    07-09-11 10:27 AM
    The number one free app at AppWorld is Hangman! And the number one paid app is Chat on Facebook.

Talk about a disappointment. Every evening I look for something new and useful. And every evening I'm disappointed. And here's to Hugo Malha Ferreira and the Gilcontrol app which looks to be the most expensive app. I could find.

With these choices it's no wonder people are fleeing the Playbook.

OK, all that being said. I will still faithfully hold my Playbook and argue that it's still better than a iPad. I refuse to drink the Kool-aid.

But seriously, the app development sucks. Is there no market for ones work? Or is RIM just a PITA to work with?

dg
    What do you want in an app?

A billiards game?
    Skee ball?
    A diary?
    A cookbook?

Your message reads like this : "There are no apps I like so someone make apps I like but I won't say what I like".

I mean I've seen a lot of apps on the iPhone and they all seem to be their own reasons for existence. For me personally a good web experience trumps inane apps.

There are things like a better pdf reader that would be nice but it seems to me coming to crackberry to vent on RIM because there is no apps you like would be less effective than contacting app makers you like.
    07-09-11 02:16 PM
    [QUOTE=Dukey Avalon;6470126]What do you want in an app?
    .[/QUOTE

I work as a Aerospace Engineer and Aviator. I'd like engineering and aviation related aps quite frankly. A few cool science related aps would be nice too.

I honestly don't blame RIM too much other than to say, if the demand were high, developers would pushing apps out quickly. Or is RIM and the SDK the problem?

i just started playing Angry Birds on my wife's NookColor which now has the latest Android OS running. While she has a lot more app choices, my PB is still better It's probably a good thing I can't play Angry Birds

So, what's the hold-up in new apps? Not enough demand? Difficult SDK? Getting Apps through the AppWorld wickets? Thoughts?

dg
    07-09-11 05:12 PM
    App world does have some gems like Queue manager, Blaq, Skit, Hello Note, Touchpro, Sketchpad, Score Mobile, and Notebook to name a few.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    07-09-11 07:03 PM
    [QUOTE=dagerlach;6470433]
    What do you want in an app?
    .[/QUOTE

I work as a Aerospace Engineer and Aviator. I'd like engineering and aviation related aps quite frankly. A few cool science related aps would be nice too.

I honestly don't blame RIM too much other than to say, if the demand were high, developers would pushing apps out quickly. Or is RIM and the SDK the problem?

So, what's the hold-up in new apps? Not enough demand? Difficult SDK? Getting Apps through the AppWorld wickets? Thoughts?

dg
    My science app is not selling as well as I had hoped. Sure part of the problem is SDK related. I'm a Java guy - with no Java SDK as yet, I had to learn and use Actionscript - it was not easy. No NDK yet either. And no hooks for the magnetometer. No bluetooth connectivity. No usb connectivity.

But the real story is that the user base is still very small and developers can't make money - and the user base can't grow because developers aren't making apps. A real catch-22.

The OP needs to be a little bit more patient.
    07-09-11 09:08 PM
    There is no native SDK yet. That is a major issue.
    07-10-11 12:21 AM
    The PlayBook doesn't need tons of apps with the browser it has!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-11 01:07 AM

I lol'd.

Why is there still people saying this nonsense???
    M.Rizk and glinc like this.
    07-10-11 01:29 AM
    I lol'd.

Why is there still people saying this nonsense???
    I agree that the playbook doesn't need a lot of website apps, as any site I go to, I would rather use the pc site and enjoy the full content, but I do think we need a lot of software type apps that help with productivity. I trade currency and I would love to see a meta trader4 app for the playbook. I would pay 500 dollars for the app, or a 30 dollar a month subscription, to use it.

Things we need to download in order to use off the net, need an app. Yes it is true we don't need a ton of apps, but we do need core apps and they are not here yet.

My playbook is being used every day and it has gotten better since launch and I expect it to continue to get better, with more development and future updates. I laugh at you. lol for posting negativity if you are not happy about the playbook, go and buy an ipad instead of cutting others down.
    msevinsky likes this.
    07-10-11 01:50 AM
    I agree that the playbook doesn't need a lot of website apps, as any site I go to, I would rather use the pc site and enjoy the full content, but I do think we need a lot of software type apps that help with productivity. I trade currency and I would love to see a meta trader4 app for the playbook. I would pay 500 dollars for the app, or a 30 dollar a month subscription, to use it.

Things we need to download in order to use off the net, need an app. Yes it is true we don't need a ton of apps, but we do need core apps and they are not here yet.

My playbook is being used every day and it has gotten better since launch and I expect it to continue to get better, with more development and future updates. I laugh at you. lol for posting negativity if you are not happy about the playbook, go and buy an ipad instead of cutting others down.
    Diud you actually get MY point???

Where did I say I'm not happy about the PB? I have a PB, iPad and Galaxy Tab 10.1. -

but I don't see people here getting the point if they say they don't need apps because they can surf the web. THAT'S RIDICULOUS!!! go, buy yourself a Google Chromebook and have fun.

Oh, and happy instant messaging - but please don't close the browser or open another tab - that will stop the IM from working!

You don't have to laugh at me - you seem to be easily satisfied.

Btw, if you're a trader, then you should actually be the one getting my point.
    07-10-11 01:57 AM
    i love my PB, but would love to see more apps... i have found that my igoogle home page and saving my favorite websites to the home screen allows for quicker access to sites like evernote that i use frequently but aren't available in app form! Hope hulu skype and youtube along with better twitter come soon! there are far more games than any other kinds of apps. would love the facebook chat app, but refuse to pay for this as it is free on the web and droid...
    07-10-11 06:58 AM

That may be true, but those who use these devices expect them.
    07-10-11 07:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD