So the initial verdict is in and Samsung was absolutely thrashed in the courts. It got me thinking though. Unless I'm mistaken, the PlayBook utilizes what I guess could be described as a "rubber banding" scrolling feature that was presented in Apple's case. Could this spell further trouble for the PlayBook or is it likely that RIM would either omit the feature in future updates, or enter into a licensing agreement with Apple?
    08-24-12 07:39 PM
    OK how did that jury go through 700 questions in such a short time?

I think RIM should be worried because according to that Jury The Samsung Black Jack also looks like an iPhone

Last edited by bbpandy; 08-24-12 at 08:02 PM.
    bungaboy, BB_Bmore and BlazorBoy like this.
    08-24-12 07:55 PM
    It's...its....my old BlackBerry but someone put a Samsung sticker on it!!!
    08-24-12 09:24 PM
    Maybe RIM should try to get a billion out of Samsung as well. We could have the court proceedings in Waterloo, Ontario.

I'm sure that kind of money would help in the release of BB10.

Okay, not funny.. Because I wasn't to happy with the ruling and what it means for a competitive market
    08-24-12 09:53 PM
    Maybe RIM should try to get a billion out of Samsung as well. We could have the court proceedings in Waterloo, Ontario.

I'm sure that kind of money would help in the release of BB10.

Okay, not funny.. Because I wasn't to happy with the ruling and what it means for a competitive market
    I think Apple sued Samsung because they were the low hanging fruit. They really copied the iPhone. You would never mistake a PlayBook for an iPad, by the way it looks or their UI. That is what makes for a competitive market.

I'm not sure, but the native PlayBook browser shows as being Safari. If it is, would not Rubber Band be licensed for the PlayBook?
    08-24-12 11:55 PM
    I think Apple sued Samsung because they were the low hanging fruit. They really copied the iPhone. You would never mistake a PlayBook for an iPad, by the way it looks or their UI. That is what makes for a competitive market.

I'm not sure, but the native PlayBook browser shows as being Safari. If it is, would not Rubber Band be licensed for the PlayBook?
    Yes, Samsung was a very easy target. There were internal memos where they said that they have to change everything to be more like the iPhone, and a Samsung employee couldn't tell the difference between their product and Apple's from a relatively short distance. Neither of those would be the case with the PlayBook.
    08-25-12 12:33 AM
    Easy target? True enough. You haven't seen them try to take on the real culprit Google yet. Perhaps they'll bankrupt each other. They should all learn a lesson from this, because something sells well does not mean everyone needs to go out and make their own copy. The one thing RIM can claim is they have gone their own way.
    08-25-12 06:13 AM
    Tactics,

Intimidation,

Games.

Another day in the (big) business world.

Then should Apple and Samsung sue Huaweii or are they working togheter?

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-25-12 06:24 AM
    There could be a silver lining here, Perhaps BlackBerry will remove the abomination that is the Android Player from PlayBook.
    08-25-12 06:44 AM
    OKAY time for RIM to sue amazon for the fire that looks exactly like the playbook.
    08-25-12 06:52 AM
    OKAY time for RIM to sue amazon for the fire that looks exactly like the playbook.
    I guess RIM isnt as aggressive as Apple...

Wasnt BB pioneer in the emails for smartphone??

Sue them, sue them all! Muahahahah!

08-25-12 07:01 AM
    LOL I would rather see the silliness end.
    08-25-12 07:04 AM
    I don't think Apple cares about suing RIM. I don't think anyone cares about RIM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-25-12 07:17 AM
    I don't think Apple cares about suing RIM. I don't think anyone cares about RIM.

So Apple "has feelings" for Samsung?

"Still a better love story than Twilight" ^^

MobileMadness002 likes this.
    08-25-12 07:23 AM
    According to the verdict the "pinch zoom" gesture now belongs to apple.
    That puts a heck of a lot of devices in the cross hair.
    08-25-12 07:31 AM
    ya know what I think...there was WAY too many Isheep on the jury! LOL
    08-25-12 07:34 AM

Looooooooool thats new ^^

Edit : Post 500 \o/
    Last edited by PedroBorgas; 08-25-12 at 07:52 AM. Reason: 500 \o/
    08-25-12 07:49 AM
    I was reading about the verdict on money.com and came across a related article called 19 Apple secrets revealed during trial. VERY lame story, but I came across a statement from Phil Schiller, Apple's head of marketing,and just had to share

While many companies survey customers for feedback on products, Apple continues to do the opposite. "We never go and ask the customer 'what features do you want in the next product?'" Schiller said on the stand. "It's not the customer's job to know. We accumulate that information ourselves."
    08-25-12 08:46 AM
    The way I see it the only winners are the lawyers Samsung will live to fight another day so who really loses?
    The consumers who are looking for choices
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-25-12 09:16 AM
    The pinch to zoom gesture always belonged to Apple lol that isn't news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-25-12 10:55 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...amsung-740954/

Apparently RIM does not own the rights to the Playbook design.
    08-25-12 10:59 AM
    I don't get how Apple can have the patent for pinch-to-zoom. Not only does it seem intuitive but there are examples from before 2006. For a few examples, check out:

-- From 2002 - go to around 2:22

-- From 2004 - go to around 0:15
    08-25-12 11:10 AM
    Dont forget that Apple buys $5 Billion worth of parts from Samsung for thier various crapple products. Its absurd.
    esk369 likes this.
    08-25-12 11:19 AM
    The pinch to zoom gesture always belonged to Apple lol that isn't news.
    Just parroting what the nice lady on NPR said this morning...
    08-25-12 11:34 AM
    I don't think anyone cares for RIM's stuff being a real threat outside of small contributions to the market...which is true given the nature of the current products.

Certainly, the Playbook will still sell where they may, and I don't see how the trial will affect it at all...

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    08-25-12 11:40 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD